Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Fly Fishing on the Dodder

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭stevenmu

Kippure wrote: »
    Did you catch anything?

Didn't make it out there in the end unfortunately. I decided to have a sofa day, then I felt like I was wasting such a nice day so I went up to the grand canal to try a bit of lure fishing for pike. Should have really gone with my first choice. Won't be making that mistake again this weekend, I'll definitely be back up to bohernabreena one of the days.
    when you see an angler fly fishing in the middle of the city time stops for a moment, as for the angler it's a well worn truth that one doesn't actually age while fly fishing, scientifically proven in fact.
    You've really nailed what I love about the dodder so much, it's right in the middle of the city, but when you're out fishing it you could be in the middle of nowhere. You literally forget where you are, there's been times I'd be fishing along the banks, and walking up I'd have to go up to cross a bridge and been stunned to find myself crossing a busy street. I'll be making sure to get out there a few times this week too.

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭david_1888

i saw u there.

i was the one who asked you if you knew where the 'kiosk' shop was in ballsbridge so i could get a permit.

i think that shop has changed it's name and doesn't sell dodder anglers' permits anymore.

just for fun i'm going to put in a couple of hours on the dodder before the 30th. probably friday after work.

when you see an angler fly fishing in the middle of the city time stops for a moment, as for the angler it's a well worn truth that one doesn't actually age while fly fishing, scientifically proven in fact.

Small world! Yea ive been getting mine in Rorys for the past 4/5 years now. Didnt actually know there was a closer shop that done them.

Extremely relaxing spot to go, especially early mornings, ill try get up a couple more times before too, might see you around!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭Kippure

LAst weekend for the dodder...anyone heading out?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,882 ✭✭✭Doc Farrell

hoping to fish around sunset tomorrow in a weir about 400 yards downstream of the dropping well, which me and coolwings helped rebuild back in may i think.

then off to lough ouler near glendalough on sunday to say hello to a great little lake at the top of a mountain. if it's cloudy i'll stay near the dodder.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,191 ✭✭✭Macspower

hoping to fish around sunset tomorrow in a weir about 400 yards downstream of the dropping well, which me and coolwings helped rebuild back in may i think.

then off to lough ouler near glendalough on sunday to say hello to a great little lake at the top of a mountain. if it's cloudy i'll stay near the dodder.

Hi Doc... didn't know you were a fisherman... although suspected you were a fish ;)

I'm off for the last day ont he liffey oday before the season ends... Is the dodder closing as well as I'll have to find somewhere to go

• Advertisement

Does any one know the legal situation with fishing out of season on the dodder on the tidal side of balls bridge for the mullet? I caught a few mullet on the fly this year with a imitation bread crust and small snail type fly.

Cause its tidal would it be classed as sea fishing. My take on it is it would be. Any one else have a veiw on it.

It pains me to see all them mullet swim up on high tide and not been able to fish for them would be quite anoying.

K.

• Registered Users Posts: 374 ✭✭fisherking

did anyone get any sea trout on the dodder this year?
    i have heard of lads getting them around lansdowne rd allright...
    i must have a go next year
    even for the novelty of it

fisherking wrote: »
    did anyone get any sea trout on the dodder this year?
    i have heard of lads getting them around lansdowne rd allright...
    i must have a go next year
    even for the novelty of it

I got a few this year, ranging from 1lb up to around 3lb. I put them back so they could continue there trip as far as smurfits waterfall...... all on the high tide. Got lots of small brown trout in that area too. Even got 2 at a time when fishing 2 flies.

• Registered Users Posts: 374 ✭✭fisherking

thats brilliant
    the street lights seem to not put them off the take?
    nice one putting them back
    no fish ever tastes as good as catching ........

Whens the annual General meeting of the dodder anglers this year? Is it the first Monday in the march or febuary?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 3,455 Mod ✭✭✭✭coolwings

I got a few this year, ranging from 1lb up to around 3lb. I put them back so they could continue there trip as far as smurfits waterfall...... all on the high tide. Got lots of small brown trout in that area too. Even got 2 at a time when fishing 2 flies.

That's very interesting but .... I should mention that under the fishery conservation measures the River Dodder is closed completely for salmon and sea trout fishing for 2010.

• Registered Users Posts: 212 ✭✭JMB88

coolwings wrote: »
    That's very interesting but .... I should mention that under the fishery conservation measures the River Dodder is closed completely for salmon and sea trout fishing for 2010.
    According to the Fisheries Board website ... it's closed for Salmon and Sea-Trout over 40cm which is the same as last season.

Slight difference. Same purpose. Thx for the correction JMB88.
    I hope those who catch sea trout there respect it.
    There is very limited spawning grounds on that little river, and a very limited population of migratory fish in it.
    Until the weir is broken and a fish pass added to open up the gravel beds upstream, those fish need protecting.

Unfortunately the club are against doing this for fear of "game fishing problems" arising.
    So they wil not push the project.
    It's a great pity because the Irish east coast sea trout are outstanding in growth, almost as good as the Welsh sea trout, and there would be numbers of 5 - 10lb migratory trout running within a decade if the fish pass were built.

• Registered Users Posts: 212 ✭✭JMB88

coolwings wrote: »
    Slight difference. Same purpose. Thx for the correction JMB88.
    I hope those who catch sea trout there respect it.
    There is very limited spawning grounds on that little river, and a very limited population of migratory fish in it.
    Until the weir is broken and a fish pass added to open up the gravel beds upstream, those fish need protecting.

Unfortunately the club are against doing this for fear of "game fishing problems" arising.
    So they wil not push the project.
    It's a great pity because the Irish east coast sea trout are outstanding in growth, almost as good as the Welsh sea trout, and there would be numbers of 5 - 10lb migratory trout running within a decade if the fish pass were built.
    I fished the river last season myself for Sea-Trout aswell, had a few for the season ... wouldnt dream of killing one though. I heard towards the end of the season there was a bit of poaching problems around the Ballsbridge / Donneybrook area ... real pity.

It's a shame to see the weir at Ashtons aswell, the fish really struggle with that weir. I saw some serious fish last season trying to jump it ... most of them wouldnt even get half way up it (even in the thickest of floods).

Dodder Anglers meeting

Monday the 22nd of Febuary 2010

07.30 pm

De La Salle Sports school hall churchtown Dublin 14.

Dodder Anglers meeting

07.30 pm

Plus there's a little surprise for boardsies in the annual report if you get it ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 400 ✭✭Slasher

Dodder Anglers meeting

07.30 pm

Is the meeting only for existing members of DAA, or can non-members attend and sign up for membership?

Slasher wrote: »
    Is the meeting only for existing members of DAA, or can non-members attend and sign up for membership?

Any one Can attend.

Plus can,t believe certain boardies are now Famous......

I'm planning to pop along too. It is always an interesting evening if you're interested in fishing.
    Will see you folks there. Do we all wear a red carnation or what? :D

I presume we'll be in the vip section :)

• Advertisement

stevenmu wrote: »
    I presume we'll be in the vip section :)

Of course...:D

NOLAN CUP.

FLY ONLY.

SUNDAY THE 7TH OF MARCH

11AM TO 5PM

BOHERNABREENA RESERVOIR.

TIGHT LINES:D

• Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭wgsten

Is the Nolan Cup competition an open comp. or is it members only?

wgsten

isupportcatchandrelease.jpg

http://www.irishflyfisher.ie/

wgsten wrote: »
    Is the Nolan Cup competition an open comp. or is it members only?

wgsten

Members. But i,m sure if you turn up you can purchase a members card for 10 euro :)

Coolwings will know more.

The waterkeeper's a chap called Mr Butler.
    His tel numbers are on the club membership card, so if you have last year's card you can call him and check if he can do a ticket on the spot in advance of leaving for the session. I won't post his numbers here, but on request by PM I'm sure myself of Stevenmu or Kippure would PM it back.

If you need to get a card (in case the bailiff says he cannot do one on the day) all the tackle shops do them for a tenner.

• Registered Users Posts: 862 ✭✭✭jack01986

Im just getting back into flyfishing this year after a bit of a break, where abouts can you by the membership for the dodder angling club?

Is there anyway that the fish can get past the smurfit waterfall fish pass or anything? Would be cool if they could.

jack01986 wrote: »
    Im just getting back into flyfishing this year after a bit of a break, where abouts can you by the membership for the dodder angling club?

Is there anyway that the fish can get past the smurfit waterfall fish pass or anything? Would be cool if they could.

Errr ... maybe if you would read the previous post and you'd find your answer to that! :p

Normally migratory fish don't make it above the Clonskeagh weir. A once a decade flood event will allow them up further but it's very rare. They are pretty few in numbers too. It's 99% a brown trout fishing river, from Bohernabreena down to the sea.

• Registered Users Posts: 862 ✭✭✭jack01986

Woops my bad just scanned over the previous commments.

No problemo. Welcome to the forum.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭wgsten

Thanks Kippure and Coolwings.
    I will go down to Bohernabreena on Sunday if i am not working.

wgsten

Advertisement