Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Releasing your own software

• 13-09-2006 11:28am
    Hosted Moderators Posts: 7,484 ✭✭✭

Just wondering how people here (who write free software) release it?

I wrote a Perl script that does a very basic synchronization of an SQL-based eGroupware address book to an LDAP server, and use it myself. I thought i'd release it so i put it up on my personal website under the GPL.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,396 ✭✭✭✭Karoma

Same: Personal hosting for the smaller bits and pieces. I've used SourceForge.net for 1 or 2 projects as well, I found it quite well organised.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26 invisiblewill

If you want to go all out and create large OSS projects then this book is a must have: http://producingoss.com/

Best thing about it is that it's free to download aswell.

Basically shows in detail what to expect and what is expected of you when developing an OSS project.

Goodluck!

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 7,484 ✭✭✭Red Alert

That's a great book!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23 se51

The steps:

1) Put code/program on your homepage or SourceForge
    2) Create a post on Digg and describe your awesome software
    3) ???
    4) Profit!

:p

(Seriously, if the app is really good, Digg can help)

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭dueyfinster

Sourceforge is after seriously reducing how easy it is to get a project registered.

My suggestion is GoogleCode, I use it for a College projects and it's great: simple, clean and a nice way to get into FOSS. I haven't tried the Sun one (Project Kenai) but it looks promising.

I also have a project on Sourceforge; but I haven't uploaded anything yet. A++ to Sourceforge for the hosted apps idea; makes great sense. It would be complete if they allowed a project domain to used instead of sourceforge.net and the emails from Ross Turk (SF community manager) get annoying after a while; although I do like reading about up and coming projects.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 1,333 Mod ✭✭✭✭croo

another option I'm just experimenting with now is launchpad.net ... so far it's very impressive. lots of collaboration ability.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 414 ✭✭Thomas-G

Sourceforge makes the whole process very painless, but I must try out Google Code. Launchpad is sublime for reporting bugs, I seen on Debian's Gsoc ideas page they want to adapt it for use in the Debian community too, so anyone who says Ubuntu doesn't give back to it's big brother is wrong!

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 1,333 Mod ✭✭✭✭croo

I new downside to SourceForge is that recently they have been forced to implement the US restrictions on the export of encryption technology. So people in countries like Iran or Cuba can no longer access projects that may have worked with - this restriction is of course is a break of the GPL.

Other repositories do not (as yet anyway) seem to be effected by this restriction. I guess the location of the servers is a question... if the servers are not USA based then perhaps they no longer apply!? For now however SF enforces these restrictions which puts it at a disadvantage to me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,284 ✭✭✭pwd

I put a small Silverlight project up on Codeplex about a year ago. Over 850 downloads so far. Should break 1000 pretty soon once I test/update it for the latest version of Silverlight. I really like seeing people use it. It gives me at least as much nerd-pride as my experts-exchange t-shirts :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28 tangoku

Hi guys,
    I don't know if is the correct section but I hope.
    My apologize if is not
    With one my friend we wrote a new software for hotel management.
    The software is written in Gambas and I would like to know if somebody is interesting.
    We are looking for tester, bugs report ...
    At the moment is only in Italian language but if somebody need help I'm here.

http://www.tutto-opensource.org/gesthotel.html

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37 Innov

Guys,

I am working on an open source widgets project and this is the link www.navlai.com if you are interested. I just had the Open Souce T&C's added so anyone can get the open standard universal widget API (UWA) developed.

Hope this helps..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 414 ✭✭Thomas-G

Very cool, although you should have all the images in the tab menu preload, it's pretty nuts when you open the menu!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,268 ✭✭✭visual

hotscripts is another place you can upload it to

• Registered Users Posts: 6,177 ✭✭✭Ubbquittious

github is surely the only way to go now

• Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭danmanw8

github is surely the only way to go now
    Definitely up there

• Registered Users Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭PrzemoF

/just messing
    I wouldn't call it "the only way", but a public git repository (github, self hosted, gitlab, sourceforge, bitbucket) is a must have.

Advertisement