Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Off Topic Thread 5.0

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,705 ✭✭✭The Inbetween is mine

Easily confirmed by who though, United's original statement was that he had planned to stand down at the end of the year anyways before all this.

Ah if he's lying, you'll know by the end of the day...The Glazers wouldn't let that slide, esp if they are trying to apportion blame.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,999 ✭✭✭✭Interested Observer

The amount of scam ads on YouTube is ridiculous.

YouTube premium or whatever it's called is actually worth it. Removes all ads amongst a few other things.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,654 ✭✭✭hold my beer

This guy had the ESL document back in January. There's no way Woodword didn't known about it for months before that even. He's a snake.

https://twitter.com/james_corbett/status/1352652214272217088?s=19

• Registered Users Posts: 5,904 ✭✭✭jacothelad

The Jenner Institute which developed the AZ vaccine have successfully developed an anti-malaria vaccine. 74% efficacy at low dose and 77% at high dose. 400,000 children a year die from this. My late father contracted it during WW2 and had periodic quite severe episodes of it for many years afterwards. It is a horrible disease. Other interventions have reduced the death toll from over 2,000,000 per year in the 1960s and they will need to continue but it does open up the faint possibility of eradicating this scourge.

Interestingly in terms of climate changes, during the Romano period in England, malaria was present in the southern parts of the country and vineyards were common.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,904 ✭✭✭jacothelad

jacothelad wrote: »
    The Jenner Institute which developed the AZ vaccine have successfully developed an anti-malaria vaccine. 74% efficacy at low dose and 77% at high dose. 400,000 children a year die from this.

Co-incidentally:

Resistance to malaria drugs in Africa may be starting to take hold, according to a study that maps changes similar to those seen a decade ago when drug resistance spread in south-east Asia.
    In Cambodia and neighbouring countries, the artemisinin drug compounds widely used against malaria are no longer always effective. The falciparum malaria parasites have developed genetic mutations that allow them to evade the drugs. There has been great concern that drug resistance could spread to Africa, which has the highest burden of cases of this type of malaria – and the highest toll of child deaths from it.

Let's hope....... The deaths of so many children is heart rending.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,796 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

The Euro2020 matches scheduled for Dublin have been moved to St Petersburg Russia and Wembley (Round of 16)

The ignominy of moving games to Russia which is riddled.

Our Government have missed a major opportunity here. 12,500 vaccinated persons could easily have attended each match, perhaps healthcare and frontline workers could have been funded to go, as a thank you from a grateful nation?

What a beacon of optimism that would have been as things improve. But no, total lack of ambition and b0ll0x from our elected representatives as per.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,446 ✭✭✭Former Former Former

Larbre34 wrote: »
    The Euro2020 matches scheduled for Dublin have been moved to St Petersburg Russia and Wembley (Round of 16)

Our Government have missed a major opportunity here. 12,500 vaccinated persons could easily have attended each match, perhaps healthcare and frontline workers could have been funded to go, as a thank you from a grateful nation?

What a beacon of optimism that would have been as things improve. But no, total lack of ambition and b0ll0x from our elected representatives as per.

The tickets do not belong to the government and thus are not theirs to give away. The match would have been attended by people who bought them in the UEFA lotteries over the last couple of years, presumably a good number of whom would be coming into the country.

We have absolutely no idea if these matches can be held safely or not. None of the host cities do. Personally, I would rather we focus on getting wider society back on track at a reasonable and controlled pace than risking a giant super-spreader event that could derail things massively.

I'm extremely glad we didn't cave to UEFA. We need a government who can make the right decisions, not the popular ones. We paid the price for this in January and hundreds of people died needlessly because of the exact logic that you're now demanding we follow again.

And for a soccer game that Ireland isn't even playing in? No, f**k that.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,605 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

Eh I think this is the wrong take to be honest. It's not even an Irish game, combined with the logistics that have to be put in place to accommodate 12.5k people attending as well as the two teams, you're not going to get a load of vaccinated security guards, hospitality staff and with a reduced public transport system.

As well as if you're funding health workers tickets, you have zero revenue so it ends up costing the government a fortune for it.

Would much rather them concentrate on something like LOI games or the GAA, or even the rainbow cup games instead. Rather than just put the moment in UEFAs pockets for games we're not involved in.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,750 ✭✭✭Lost Ormond

For 12'500 fans you would have a couple thousand more people between media, hospitality workers, stewards, cleaners. It simply wouldnt be viable especially with your suggestion of funding frontline/health care workers

• Registered Users Posts: 23,796 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

I'm in the minority it seems. Fair enough so.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

Co-incidentally:

Resistance to malaria drugs in Africa may be starting to take hold, according to a study that maps changes similar to those seen a decade ago when drug resistance spread in south-east Asia.
    In Cambodia and neighbouring countries, the artemisinin drug compounds widely used against malaria are no longer always effective. The falciparum malaria parasites have developed genetic mutations that allow them to evade the drugs. There has been great concern that drug resistance could spread to Africa, which has the highest burden of cases of this type of malaria – and the highest toll of child deaths from it.

Let's hope....... The deaths of so many children is heart rending.

Was just watching this on the news, hopefully the issues with trust of vaccines won’t impact on its uptake in Africa.

The Jenner Institute which developed the AZ vaccine have successfully developed an anti-malaria vaccine. 74% efficacy at low dose and 77% at high dose. 400,000 children a year die from this.

Speaking about it on Futureproof show on Newstalk now.

https://www.rte.ie/sport/soccer/2021/0424/1211852-perez-insists-super-league-will-continue-moving-forward/

Comical Ali levels of delusion from Perez. This sentence is hilarious (talking about JP Morgan at the start of it).
    "It's not true they've withdrawn. They have taken some time for reflection, just like the 12 clubs. If we need to make changes we will but the Super League is the best project we've thought of," he added.

If that's the best you can think of Perez, you need to exit stage left.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,774 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

So how fit are you? Or should I say unfit?

Went for a 5k walk in Barnaslingan forest park yesterday with herself and was feeling pretty good about my base level of fitness.

Watched Sherpa last night and proudly stated to herself "I could do that hike to Everest base camp handy enough".

So this morning at 7 we decided we'd do the trail walk at tick nock. The first 2 Kms is an uphill traipse before you hit the rocky pathway. I would say after about 5 minutes walking I was looking for a place for the air ambulance to land.

I am seriously unfit....I mean ridiculously unfit. This is going to have to be a work in progress. I'm in pain now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,705 ✭✭✭The Inbetween is mine

I went for a mountain/forest walk yesterday....6km no problems at all..
    and 20M from the carpark I fell off the boardwalk and fcked my ankle, ligaments and tendons....I too am old :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,329 ✭✭✭Dave_The_Sheep

mfceiling wrote: »

If I accidentally misspell fit, I'm pretty fit. Very fit in fact.

• Subscribers Posts: 40,981 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

i though i was fairly fit till i did the stairs at skogafoss in Iceland a few years back.... it was an eye opener when i had to stand aside and let pensioners and young children pass me cos i was so out of breath.

700-07745170em-looking-down-from-top-of-stairs-skogafoss-iceland.jpg

22-april-2018-skogar-south-iceland-skogafoss-waterfall-and-the-staircase-up-to-the-viewing-platform-P88NHH.jpg

went for a walk yesterday and checked my ankles this morning... bruised and loads of spider veins this morning... gettin' olds a pain in the ass

Went for a 5k walk in Barnaslingan forest park yesterday with herself and was feeling pretty good about my base level of fitness.

Watched Sherpa last night and proudly stated to herself "I could do that hike to Everest base camp handy enough".

So this morning at 7 we decided we'd do the trail walk at tick nock. The first 2 Kms is an uphill traipse before you hit the rocky pathway. I would say after about 5 minutes walking I was looking for a place for the air ambulance to land.

I am seriously unfit....I mean ridiculously unfit. This is going to have to be a work in progress. I'm in pain now.

Have done a bit of mountain biking up at Ticknock recently. The climbs are tough, the down hills great craic. Any type of hangover doing it and it's painful

• Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

The lack of gym and other distractions had lead to a lot of walking. Average Sunday walk now is 35km. I can’t wait for the gym and cinema to re-open.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,774 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

stephen_n wrote: »
    The lack of gym and other distractions had lead to a lot of walking. Average Sunday walk now is 35km. I can’t wait for the gym and cinema to re-open.

Jesus fair play man. 35k is a savage distance to cover!!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Jesus fair play man. 35k is a savage distance to cover!!

Tis

I get tired watching the dog playing with his friends in the park

• Registered Users Posts: 7,047 ✭✭✭Bazzo

Gorgeous day out today here. Inaugural barbeque of the year in the works.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,176 ✭✭✭✭Buer

Bazzo wrote: »
    Gorgeous day out today here. Inaugural barbeque of the year in the works.

Funny old day. It's lovely and sunny but not nearly as warm as yesterday. Was down the beach for a bit for a stroll. Quite blustery. 12C according to the car. Would be weather for a hoodie for me. But some people were lying out or stripped to the waist, paddling in the water.

We're a funny bunch as soon as there's a sniff of sunshine!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,166 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

Buer wrote: »
    Funny old day. It's lovely and sunny but not nearly as warm as yesterday. Was down the beach for a bit for a stroll. Quite blustery. 12C according to the car. Would be weather for a hoodie for me. But some people were lying out or stripped to the waist, paddling in the water.

East wind this time of year always makes it cool on the east coast. Easily 18/19 degrees here in the west. Might fire up the barbie like Bazzo....

• Registered Users Posts: 4,786 ✭✭✭b.gud

You guys are only having your first bbq now? Tonight will be my 3rd of the week and i had the first of the year in late Feb /early March

• Registered Users Posts: 24,176 ✭✭✭✭Buer

b.gud wrote: »
    You guys are only having your first bbq now? Tonight will be my 3rd of the week and i had the first of the year in late Feb /early March

Indeed. Yesterday was my third this week too. Gotta make sure that BBQ ends up being value for money!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,960 ✭✭✭Yeah_Right

b.gud wrote: »

Good man. If it ain't raining, its bbq weather. Fired it up for breakfast this morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,047 ✭✭✭Bazzo

Buer wrote: »

We're lucky enough that the garden is nicely sheltered so a bit of a sun trap. It feels about 18 or 19 degrees at the moment but maybe 14 if we were exposed to the wind.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Lads any recommendations for a bbq for a couple who are bbq novices?

Will never need to cook for more than 4 people

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 40,981 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

Stheno wrote: »
    Lads any recommendations for a bbq for a couple who are bbq novices?

Will never need to cook for more than 4 people

Beer

Advertisement