Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Thurles

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,505 ✭✭✭the_pen_turner

johnb25 wrote: »
    Anyone know if the Sawmills on Mill Road is open? I tried ringing several times but no response. Left a message on the phone but no reply.

not sure but the last few times i passed things were moved around a bit and you could see people in the yard.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,016 ✭✭✭tastyt

I see planning is re submitted for the housing estate up at Mitchel street / Bohernamona rd . Not sure what the problems were with the first application but good to see it hasn’t been shelved .

Houses badly needed around the town

• Registered Users Posts: 3,917 ✭✭✭Grab All Association

I’ve just been thinking about Subway and Apache Cafe.

So we enter the first lockdown and the franchisee of Subway decides not to reopen. A planning application is submitted to Thurles Municipal District saying that the business is unviable unless the opening hours are extended to 12am. A poster appears in the window saying reopening the 27th June, later replaced with a poster saying the 27th of July. It doesn’t reopen and later a To Let sign goes in the window, despite the letting not listed online (I looked for over two months to find it) Now Apache Pizza opens.

Had people and traders in thurles known subway was not reopening, I’m sure there would have been objections submitted to later opening hours. A pizzeria would attract a different type of customer in the late evenings than a sandwich shop. The kind of customers that piss up against shop fronts.

What do you think?

Good news about the new cycle/ walkway from town park to willows and then lady’s well . Badly needed

• Registered Users Posts: 19,854 ✭✭✭✭MetzgerMeister

tastyt wrote: »
    Good news about the new cycle/ walkway from town park to willows and then lady’s well . Badly needed

Badly needed is right!

Has anyone else noticed the lack of hangers-about along the river behind Dunnes? There was a time you couldn't walk down there without coming across a few groups of gougers along with the winos and I'm not talking about Presentation students!

Have they all moved to the new park? I know a number of people who won't go through the park because of them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,273 ✭✭✭dabbler2004

I think it's going to be slow going to get to Ladies Well. €60,000 to extend the cycle/walkway by the length of a field seems excessive to me.
    Unless there's an insurance cost as part of that figure maybe.

• Registered Users Posts: 394 ✭✭HcksawJimDuggan

Where was this announced? Can’t find any info about it and you’d usually expect some of the politicians to be taking credit for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,273 ✭✭✭dabbler2004

Where was this announced? Can’t find any info about it and you’d usually expect some of the politicians to be taking credit for it.

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=10208082203930802&id=1770894190

It's the Lions Club that the funding has been allocated to, the link is for Jim Ryan's Facebook post.
    I thought it had stated €60,000 originally but the figure in the article now reads €120,000

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=10208082203930802&id=1770894190

It's the Lions Club that the funding has been allocated to, the link is for Jim Ryan's Facebook post.
    I thought it had stated €60,000 originally but the figure in the article now reads €120,000

Thanks for that. I don't have a facebook account so I missed it. Will be interesting to see how its managed at the back of the Willows. The wall dropping down from the willows is right up to the water so not a whole pile of room to develop a walkway & cycleway unless its an elevated boardwalk type structure.

More good news this morning re funding announced for a new market quarter. Would be a great addition.

http://tippfm.com/news/funding-approved-new-market-quarter-thurles/

• Registered Users Posts: 919 ✭✭✭mikep

I think it's going to be slow going to get to Ladies Well. €60,000 to extend the cycle/walkway by the length of a field seems excessive to me.
    Unless there's an insurance cost as part of that figure maybe.

Also it would be under water for a good bit of the year...

Any ideas where the"market quarter" will be??

• Advertisement

I can't really make out where the market quarter is going from this picture:

175913975_10208101059562181_2586572339032954324_n.jpg?_nc_cat=100&ccb=1-3&_nc_sid=730e14&_nc_ohc=3kZmvlSCxAsAX8vaP66&_nc_ht=scontent.fdub4-1.fna&oh=1ab2cde8949d8b2e21edc622db2bd143&oe=60A154F3

Its walking into the new car park from the pet shop/cathedral direction on the left hand side. Those buildings on the right are there already but are quite dilapidated. St Patrick's college in the background.

Money for this project was already set aside by Thurles Town Council before abolition. I presume this money was spent by Tipperary County Council. New car park concrete is already starting to crack. Spaces and footpaths were meant to be stone paving. Embezzlement eh?

Does anyone know when Elverys in the shopping centre will open again?

I got clothing there which turned out to be too big but it was just before the lockdown and they've been closed since. I'm hoping they'll let me exchange them for a smaller size.

Thurles officially a university town today . Can only be good news really, more students , definitely will attract more to the town and the sports facilities being built on the Thurles campus sound brilliant.

On the flip side , where are these extra students going to live and what are they going to do to pass the time? It is indeed great news but this needs to be followed up with investment into housing and some sort of student experience

Thurles officially a university town today . Can only be good news really, more students , definitely will attract more to the town and the sports facilities being built on the Thurles campus sound brilliant.

On the flip side , where are these extra students going to live and what are they going to do to pass the time? It is indeed great news but this needs to be followed up with investment into housing and some sort of student experience

I had a room available to rent when I first bought my house back in 2017 but changed my mind. They've been ringing me every week asking about it even though I asked them to remove me from the list.

Pity the student village is gone the way it is. An unchangeable mistake as far as I can see.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭Oops!

Lets call a spade a spade.... The student village was a disaster from the start. All well and good everybody announcing these sort of things but a waste of time without the infrastructure to back it up.... And infrastructure is one thing Thurles does not have for anything...... A lame duck of a town that has been badly let down over the years.

Oops! wrote: »
    Lets call a spade a spade.... The student village was a disaster from the start. All well and good everybody announcing these sort of things but a waste of time without the infrastructure to back it up.... And infrastructure is one thing Thurles does not have for anything...... A lame duck of a town that has been badly let down over the years.

Why do you think the student village was a disaster?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,146 ✭✭✭dudeeile

I had to google student village as I wasn't aware there was such a place. Turns out I cycled past it on a Saturday morning about 3 weeks back and there was a lot of yelling and the swinging of billhooks. No damage was done just handbags but I wouldn't want that ****e going down in any estate I'd be living in, poor students stuck with that if there are any in there.

is that beside centra on stradavoer. if so thats a dump . its run down and dirty as hell

• Advertisement

Yea it’s been a while since any student set foot in there , only known as the student village by name now.

I wouldn’t let my dog in there with some of the lads the council have let into the place . It’s a disgrace

It’s not the council. It’s HAP, but Arlington Novas are buying up houses there and refurbishing them. Hopefully things will get better. I worked for a housing association and I know the Arlington Novas doesn’t tolerate ASB like the county councils do.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭Oops!

Because it wasn't long before the landlords figured out there was more money in other clients than students.....

Yeah it has become a warzone of sorts. I live close to it and there's always something going down on a daily basis. The place is probably the roughest around town at the moment.

Quite a few of the houses in there are for sale too. Nearly every time I pass by I see a new for sale sign.
    Oops! wrote: »
    Because it wasn't long before the landlords figured out there was more money in other clients than students.....

I don't think it's the fault of the landlords. I'd say what happened was they just sold the houses to the council and that's why there's not 1 student in there any more.

Jysk for the old Lidl store. Dependent on planning of course.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jysk

See attached

• Registered Users Posts: 30,148 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

See attached

They also took over the old Lidl store in Youghal.

Don't go their expecting it to be IKEA.

They also took over the old Lidl store in Youghal.

Don't go their expecting it to be IKEA.

Is it more t like the range

Went in to that dirty Tesco store today. With the clothing department moving downstairs there's now even less range of goods for sale. The same old Joey O'connor/Quinnsworth floors. I usually go to Tesco in Nenagh or Clonmel if I need anything because Thurles is always out of stock. Should've moved it outside the town years ago and sold the store to the council for parking.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,650 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Went in to that dirty Tesco store today. With the clothing department moving downstairs there's now even less range of goods for sale. The same old Joey O'connor/Quinnsworth floors. I usually go to Tesco in Nenagh or Clonmel if I need anything because Thurles is always out of stock. Should've moved it outside the town years ago and sold the store to the council for parking.

Should have but haven't they been denied planning permission multiple times in the past?

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

Advertisement