Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

I bet you didn't know that about Tipperary

• 04-04-2021 9:40am

I only discovered today that Tipperary (Clonmel) was the place where Connolly and Larkin came together to form the Labour Party.

Did you know that the Vikings came to Tipperary? Most of us think of Vikings as sea-farers who concentrated their pillaging on the east coast, but they seem to have come right down the Shannon and set up camp on the Portumna side of Lough Derg, sacking a monastic site in Terryglass and even holding territory there.

The lake was lower then that is now (the level rose after the construction of Ardnacrusha), so most of their artefacts/the rubbish they left behind is probably under the water. What may have been a viking canoe was found in Dromineer.

Tipperary is full of little-known historical facts. What are some others?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,363 ✭✭✭cml387

If you take the Blueway walk east of Kilsheelan, about 1 km or less on the opposite bank you'll notice a large old house with a bay structure at the rear.

This belonged to Captain Charles Boycott before he moved to Mayo

• Registered Users Posts: 8,071 ✭✭✭realdanbreen

Alfred Hitchcock once lived in Borrisokane.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,929 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

more ecstacy was consumed in tipp town in the 90's early 2000's than the entire of Limerick city.

more ecstacy was consumed in tipp town in the 90's early 2000's than the entire of Limerick city.

Sounds about right!

• Registered Users Posts: 419 ✭✭bawn79

I only discovered today that Tipperary (Clonmel) was the place where Connolly and Larkin came together to form the Labour Party.

Did you know that the Vikings came to Tipperary? Most of us think of Vikings as sea-farers who concentrated their pillaging on the east coast, but they seem to have come right down the Shannon and set up camp on the Portumna side of Lough Derg, sacking a monastic site in Terryglass and even holding territory there.

The lake was lower then that is now (the level rose after the construction of Ardnacrusha), so most of their artefacts/the rubbish they left behind is probably under the water. What may have been a viking canoe was found in Dromineer.

Tipperary is full of little-known historical facts. What are some others?

Its funny I actually wrote the blog post about the Vikings in Tipp! - However I don't think it was a Viking boat found at Dromineer, I probably should be clearer in what I wrote.
    https://thetipperaryantiquarian.blogspot.com/2016/05/lough-derg-vikings_7.html
    https://thetipperaryantiquarian.blogspot.com/2020/02/danes-in-tipperary-arra.html

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,652 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Holycross Abbey has relics of the true cross of Jesus apparently!

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

I'd say "apparently" is the key word there!

• Registered Users Posts: 605 ✭✭✭upupup

The relics were stolen in 2011 and returned a few months later.Someone had a guilty conscience,maybe afraid of meeting JC at the pearly gates.

• Registered Users Posts: 605 ✭✭✭upupup

• Registered Users Posts: 1,014 ✭✭✭Paddico

Great thread. Keep it going

• Advertisement

North Riding is better than South Riding!

• Registered Users Posts: 46 lemon125

• Registered Users Posts: 3,586 ✭✭✭chooseusername

Paddico wrote: »
    Great thread. Keep it going
    O.K.
    120 years ago in Bansha;

It may seem unbelievable but in 1901 two Bansha families came to blows in church one Sunday over a disputed right to occupy a particular pew.
    The dispute was so bitter that the families ended up in court, with the parish priest giving evidence in an effort to resolve the question.

Podcast on Tipperarystudies.ie , sorry I can't post link

Alfred Hitchcock once lived in Borrisokane.
    Ah no, that was a different movie director, Reg Ingram (born Hitchcock -- he thought the name Hitchcock would be a disadvantage!)

I'm from Terryglass. This director lived in what used to be Borrisokane's rectory, on the Cloughjordan Road, where his Dad was the rector.

Martin Sheen has family here too, his mother was born in Borrisokane.

When I was a kid, Sheen was a frequent face in Borrisokane during springtime, often seen picking his little relatives up from school.

• Registered Users Posts: 20 solo1y

Advertisement