Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Post Primary Job Prospects

Options
  • 13-04-2021 4:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7

Hi All,

I am currently a trainee Chartered Accountant studying for my final two FAE exams in Aug this year. I have spent the last three years in an accounting practice and hate my workplace although I enjoy accounting. I have completed year 1 of the PME but due to unforeseen events with both my parents getting cancer I was unable to complete Year 2.

I have contacted UL and they are prepared to let me finish my PME year 2. I have previous teaching experience through my undergrad and year 1 of my PME and there is no job I have enjoyed more since. My two subjects are Business & Accounting and I intend enquiring to the TC about my credits towards Economics and if I can do any missing modules through Link-In. I am wondering what the job prospects are like going forward especially if I will (hopefully) be ACA qualified also. I am in my late 20's now but I feel I'd rather return and do what I always wanted to do if I'm going to spend the next 30+ years doing it.

All advice is appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭Hontou

Many schools are cutting Accounting and or Economics, especially smaller schools. Schools just can't offer all subjects and as these subjects are not mandatory for any third level course, less students are choosing them. Nearly all schools offer Business to LC but it is not enough to make you attractive to a school. Finish your PME but I would recommend you look for credits in Maths rather than in Economics to improve your employment chances.

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭williaint

I can't speak for Accounting or Economics, but one of my three subjects is Business and I have never been asked to teach it or secured any hours in it. I actually found I was more likely to be asked to teach CSPE, SPHE, etc than Business.

This is totally my own experience but I find that with subjects which are oversubscribed, vacancies in those subjects are reserved for those candidates connected to the school in some way, e.g. related to management or past pupils. If you had such a connection, this could be a game changer.

I would definitely finish PME though like other poster said, you are half way there already! Best of luck and so sorry to read about your parents.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 irishlad13

Thanks very much for all the advice! I will certainly finish the PME. I will enquire about the maths as you said. This may take a couple of years to up skill myself in this area but it's an avenue I will definitely explore.

Advertisement