Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Alcohol Detox

• 13-08-2020 10:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭

Can anyone offer any recommendations for a private alcohol detox facility in Ireland? I am not looking for medical advice just people's opinions on facilities they or their loved ones may have used.

In particular I would appreciate any feedback from people who have used Smarmore Castle in Louth.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

Stanford wrote: »
    Can anyone offer any recommendations for a private alcohol detox facility in Ireland? I am not looking for medical advice just people's opinions on facilities they or their loved ones may have used.

In particular I would appreciate any feedback from people who have used Smarmore Castle in Louth.

The time varies in different centres how long is the person willing to stay in for?

I just had a quick look at the website and it sounds amazing. They seem to focus on all the right things, therapies, health and well-being. But it does also sounds a bit unrealistic in that it could be difficult once the person leaves because it is more like a get away from it all then putting them ‘to work’ so to speak. Maybe they have that as part of the programme too but I couldn’t find it. It’s important that once detox is finished that they become productive straight away, yes they have to concentrate on their mental health but they also need to learn responsibility all over again so in many rehabs jobs are assigned and they work this gives a sense of meaning, usefulness and independence. All in all though it doesn’t sound like a place a person who might be reluctant might go because it’s away from it all. It’s definitely worth a try because they have a team there to make the detox process as save as can be and that’s the hardest part that first week can be the difference between them staying or walking out.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭Stanford

Thanks for the replies, I was only hoping to do a 5-7 day medical detox under correct supervision, I live at the opposite end of the country and so could avail of post-detox counselling nearer my home.

Thanks for the replies, I was only hoping to do a 5-7 day medical detox under correct supervision, I live at the opposite end of the country and so could avail of post-detox counselling nearer my home.

That can work for some, all depends on the amount of support you get. I’m not sure the place mentioned does short detox programmes. There are some places in Dublin that do. You could give the shorter one a go first, my bf did detox from home a number of times but he didn’t avail of the support so it didn’t work for him. But if you are ready and willing to throw yourself in to all the support offered, meetings etc. It may work.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭Foweva Awone

Do you have health insurance? If so I'd highly recommend St Pat's Hospital. I've spent a lot of time there, the staff are amazing. First step would be to get a referral from your GP, or just ring them up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭Stanford

That can work for some, all depends on the amount of support you get. I’m not sure the place mentioned does short detox programmes. There are some places in Dublin that do. You could give the shorter one a go first, my bf did detox from home a number of times but he didn’t avail of the support so it didn’t work for him. But if you are ready and willing to throw yourself in to all the support offered, meetings etc. It may work.

Thanks Sigma Force, my GP is reluctant to prescribe the amount of Librium needed for me to detox at home, could you indicate some of the places you mentioned in Dublin that I could try?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,008 ✭✭✭1123heavy

I had a very close family member go to smarmore castle, I personally would not recommend them. They were difficult to get off the phone when considering them to try to get the person better, but after that person had left and relapsed, they did not want to know is the only way I can put it. I accept you paid for a service between date x and y but they became very cold post service.

On site the place is filled with Dutch citizens who are sent and paid for by their government. "How many times have you been here?" is a regular question among the attendees, practically everyone there had been at least 2 or 3 times. Narcotics are regularly smuggled into and out of the place (when you visit as a friend or family you will not be searched, anything can be brought in). My family and I had the sinking feeling that the person never actually did get off the narcotics despite them telling us they were X weeks clean.

Considering how sly addicts can be, the place didn't seem up to the challenge.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭Foweva Awone

1123heavy wrote: »
    "How many times have you been here?" is a regular question among the attendees, practically everyone there had been at least 2 or 3 times. Narcotics are regularly smuggled into and out of the place (when you visit as a friend or family you will not be searched, anything can be brought in). My family and I had the sinking feeling that the person never actually did get off the narcotics despite them telling us they were X weeks clean.

"How many times have you been here" is a pretty frequent question wherever you go for treatment, unfortunately it's the nature of addiction. It's a chronic relapsing condition, and that's not to say that full recovery isn't possible, however relapse will certainly be part of many people's journey.

As for searching visitors, that wasn't done in any treatment centre I've visited. However some places will be more careful about who visits and how often. It's possible drugs/alcohol will be sneaked on site no matter where you go. Drugs are rampant on site even in prisons, where there are much more rules and regulations, they can hardly guarantee better control in treatment centres.

I've been to many treatment centres - the various Cuan Mhuires, Coolmine, Tabor Group, Stanhope, etc etc. I finally got long-term recovery through Coolmine and St Pat's, with ongoing support from both. They are the two places I would recommend (Coolmine don't do alcohol detox though.) I never went to Smarmore, but haven't heard great things about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 719 ✭✭✭drunk_monk

Hi Stanford, I recently detoxed in A&E as it was too dangerous for me to detox without supervision and my doctor wouldn't give me liberium (rightly so) as I drank on them before and ended up in A&E. I turned up in St. Lukes and after consultation they admitted me and put me on librium and the yellow drip bags. They kept me in two nights as I had to run the course of the yellow bags (I'm not sure what's in them). Upon my release they gave me a day prescription for librium which I collected daily from the chemist. Whilst in hospital I was seen by a psychiatric consultant who gave me details for smartrecovery.ie. (CBT based recovery). I started attending their free online meetings and also attended CBT\DBT courses from the recoverycollegesoutheast.com (also free). This was in march this year and I'm now approaching 6 months sober, by far the longest I have ever been sober and I feel great.

This might not be what you are looking for but it is an option and free!

Feel free to PM me if you have any questions and the best of luck to you!

DM

** just to add I also attended Cuan Mhuire and other programs but they just didn't fit with me and never worked**

• Registered Users Posts: 1,008 ✭✭✭1123heavy

To echo the above, the best treatment we found the person got was actually in HSE institutions. The care received was impeccable. The issue with the HSE is getting the person in the door, they were literally on the verge of throwing themselves in front of a bus and the hospital staff still tried to say she was to recover at home. As a family we were having none of it and kicked up a fuss (the person had a history of being in and out of A&E with the same issues so home treatment was evidently not working), after a meeting with doctors we managed to secure them a position in the psychiatric ward at Connolly, this was where the first real detox took place (i have reason to believe they never detoxed at smarmore as mentioned). Since then we have seen improvements we had never seen before, she was on the ward there for 4 weeks and this was followed by 3 counselling sessions a week in places around D15 (coolmine, connolly).

• Advertisement

I think no matter where a person chooses it will not work unless they are fully committed obviously you want somewhere that is supportive and practical. Short term detox doesn’t always have great outcomes. My oh was in chuin Mhuire but the reason it worked for him was because he was finally ready to do it. Every rehab place has something that can put a person off but also it gives a person an excuse not to go. It can take a few tries to find the right place and the right support though so the trick is not to give up. If someone tries three or more places then the issue isn’t with the place, they are just not fully ready but they still should keep trying.

• Registered Users Posts: 719 ✭✭✭drunk_monk

yes it's true every persons path to recovery is different and you won't know what will work for you until you try it.
    For me Cuan Mhuire didn't work because aside from the religious aspect I left there (I booked myself in as I wanted to quit) still with my head in a mess and not having learned anything about how to deal with urges, triggers, thoughts, feelings and emotions and a feeling that unless I turn my life over to a "higher power" I was doomed to failure.
    For me giving up drink was not the only issue i had, I also had to deal with everything else that was going on in my head.
    I finally found that by "re-programming" my mind and behavioral thoughts through secular cognitive behavioral therapy (CBT) based recovery I could slowly change my behaviors not just around drinking but in all aspects of my life. Thankfully I'm nearly 6 months sober now and have never felt better or more positive in my life and those around me can see a huge difference in me.

Good luck to all in recovery.

DM

• Registered Users Posts: 1,597 ✭✭✭tdf7187

Do you have health insurance? If so I'd highly recommend St Pat's Hospital. I've spent a lot of time there, the staff are amazing. First step would be to get a referral from your GP, or just ring them up.

So do I. In fact, I'm there right now, in Temple Ward.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,597 ✭✭✭tdf7187

1123heavy wrote: »
    I had a very close family member go to smarmore castle, I personally would not recommend them. They were difficult to get off the phone when considering them to try to get the person better, but after that person had left and relapsed, they did not want to know is the only way I can put it. I accept you paid for a service between date x and y but they became very cold post service.

On site the place is filled with Dutch citizens who are sent and paid for by their government. "How many times have you been here?" is a regular question among the attendees, practically everyone there had been at least 2 or 3 times. Narcotics are regularly smuggled into and out of the place (when you visit as a friend or family you will not be searched, anything can be brought in). My family and I had the sinking feeling that the person never actually did get off the narcotics despite them telling us they were X weeks clean.

Considering how sly addicts can be, the place didn't seem up to the challenge.

Yeah I heard that about the Dutch clientele from a woman who was in my group in Pats. Unfortunately people smuggling drugs into treatment centres is by no means uncommon so I wouldn't particularly criticise the Smarmore on those grounds alone. However the issue regarding the lack of aftercare you cite is a concern.

Advertisement