Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Some questions about New Zealand

• 05-06-2018 11:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,002 ✭✭✭

Hi people!
    I’m looking into doing a working holiday visa for 2-3 months in New Zealand next year. Just a couple of things I’d like to ask..
    I know the visa is for 18-30 year olds, is that inclusive of the age, as in not yet turned 31? As the person traveling with my will be turning 30 next year!

How much money should you expect to have saved up to get a bit of a start over there before trying to find work?

Is it possible to say do the 2-3 months next year on the working holiday visa and then do the same the following year, or does it have to be a whole 12 month block?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,120 ✭✭✭justshane

Hi people!
    I’m looking into doing a working holiday visa for 2-3 months in New Zealand next year. Just a couple of things I’d like to ask..
    I know the visa is for 18-30 year olds, is that inclusive of the age, as in not yet turned 31? As the person traveling with my will be turning 30 next year!

How much money should you expect to have saved up to get a bit of a start over there before trying to find work?

Is it possible to say do the 2-3 months next year on the working holiday visa and then do the same the following year, or does it have to be a whole 12 month block?

I think 30 is fine it is in Australia.

What kind of work are you looking for? It's generally easy to find a job in NZ but it's quite an exspensive country. If I was coming with no job I'd want 4500nzd in the back burner.

Once you get your whv you can come and go within those 12 months but once 12 months expire from the first day you enter that's the end of it. No re-entry on a whv.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,002 ✭✭✭SillyMangoX

justshane wrote: »
    I think 30 is fine it is in Australia.

What kind of work are you looking for? It's generally easy to find a job in NZ but it's quite an exspensive country. If I was coming with no job I'd want 4500nzd in the back burner.

Once you get your whv you can come and go within those 12 months but once 12 months expire from the first day you enter that's the end of it. No re-entry on a whv.

Thanks for the info! I’m working as a dog groomer, I was talking to a few in New Zealand and they said it would be very easy pick up work out there doing that as it’ll be the height of their summer busy season when we go! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,002 ✭✭✭SillyMangoX

Oh and of course the most important question.. I know immigration is super strict on what you can bring in etc.. are Barry’s tea bags allowed?? :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,988 ✭✭✭jacksie66

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,127 ✭✭✭✭kerry4sam

Thread moved to where it would be better suited.

Thanks,
    kerry4sam

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭Timmyr

Been living in Auckland for a while. 
    It is expensive but not as much as everybody claims (generally people who haven't lived here), Dublin was worse when I lived there.
    Just look up salaries on offer for you chosen role before you get here, anything under $25 an hour or $50,000 a year will be tough to get by on in Auckland. Could lower that bar if you're living elsewhere in NZ.

You would probably need around $4,000 to get you started here, more if possible

As mentioned above visa is for a 12 month block and no second year WHV on offer.

Lastly, do not bring any food through NZ customs, they are real sticklers.
    Once you have an address just mail the teabags over

PM me if you have any more questions

• Registered Users Posts: 24,469 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

Timmyr wrote: »
    Lastly, do not bring any food through NZ customs, they are real sticklers.

only if you are a dick about it... Can bring almost anything through if packed properly, even meat if vacuum packed and no current restriction on the particular product.

Teabags, chocolate etc is really easy to bring through without any issue. Fruit and veg is the only big no-no

Advertisement