Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is There Anybody Out There ....?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,985 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

Stigura wrote: »
    Question: Could the Stick be in the wood pile???

I'm thinking how it all worked like a charm, with MATE, that time. But, I'd bet that was from another of my sticks.

Wonder if it'd be worth trying to load KDE onto one of the other sticks and booting from that? I have the iso left on this desk top. Only that and the recyc bin left there now.

What ye reckon?

Yes, that could well be the problem.

Try another USB stick ........ but if the Mate one is still there you could try booting that first to confirm all is OK.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,408 ✭✭✭Stigura

:cool: I'll have a look.

Have a long, tall cool one, or what ever. As we all know now; Transferring the iso to a stick alone will take about forty minutes or so.

:cool: I'll have a look.

Have a long, tall cool one, or what ever. As we all know now; Transferring the iso to a stick alone will take about forty minutes or so.

That is very slow working indeed. :(
    Takes no more than 4 minutes here.

:eek: WOW!!! No Way! I've just set to load. Said 50 minutes.

And MATE? Weird! As I think I might have said before, at some point in all this; All I have in its folder are two icons :confused: Crazy! I don't know what happened to it! <Cue; Twilight Zone music>

:eek: WOW!!! No Way! I've just set to load. Said 50 minutes.

And MATE? Weird! As I think I might have said before, at some point in all this; All I have in its folder are two icons :confused: Crazy! I don't know what happened to it! <Cue; Twilight Zone music>

As you are using that very strange Windows operating system to look at things I have no ideas :)

• Advertisement

Untitledtn.jpg

You're really impressed, aren't ye? I can tell! :cool:

If you have the ISO on your desktop is that what Rufus is using to put it on the USB stick ...... or is it downloading it again for its own use?
    That would explain the time taken.

It should be using the ISO you already downloaded.

:confused: Dunno. Not using Rufus. Just copying it direct to a new folder on the stick.

Haven't just ballsed half an hour, have I?! :(

Right; I now have This in a folder, on my other stick:

Untitledtn.jpg
    Look any good, to man or beast :confused:

Yes, that is the file to use.

• Advertisement

Copying the file to a USB stick will not allow the Operating system to boot.

It must be 'written' (similar to burning a CD/DVD) in order for it to be usable.

Balena Etcher or Rufus are two applications which can do this.

Okay. Cool. Only, I think I've just, just about, hit melting point. My mind goeth blanketh and I can't for the life of me figure out how to bring that folder into the boot options :confused:

Is this just me, getting a blind spot due to simple, mental fatigue? Or is it a genuine thing?

What ever; In view of this, and the fact that I pretty well have it mapped out now, how doze is going to screw with my head, on this machine, tonight ~ and, right there, it started!!! Here we bloody go!!!

I wonder if I shouldn't just give my head a rest, for tonight. Weather the schit storm Billy undoubtedly has lined up for me. Then, try to get into Linux tomorrow, with a freshly rested head?

It just doesn't seem too sharp, to try to handle an entire new os, when the simplest of issues are confounding me. I genuinely think my brain's just had enough, after this two or three days of constant effort.

What ye reckon, Johnboy? Night with our feet up?

Okay. Cool. Only, I think I've just, just about, hit melting point. My mind goeth blanketh and I can't for the life of me figure out how to bring that folder into the boot options :confused:

Is this just me, getting a blind spot due to simple, mental fatigue? Or is it a genuine thing?

What ever; In view of this, and the fact that I pretty well have it mapped out now, how doze is going to screw with my head, on this machine, tonight ~ and, right there, it started!!! Here we bloody go!!!

I wonder if I shouldn't just give my head a rest, for tonight. Weather the schit storm Billy undoubtedly has lined up for me. Then, try to get into Linux tomorrow, with a freshly rested head?

It just doesn't seem too sharp, to try to handle an entire new os, when the simplest of issues are confounding me. I genuinely think my brain's just had enough, after this two or three days of constant effort.

What ye reckon, Johnboy? Night with our feet up?

Your choice ;)

Its one of the reasons I would have preferred you to use a second machine for your Linux tests.

" 'Night, Johnboy. " :D

Good Morning, Johnboy! :D

See? See what a good shut down and reboot does for Me? As I type; Rufus is putting the thing on my little Traveler stick! 47% + just now! :D

I'll then try rebooting This thing, tapping F12 all the while. Looking for that chance to surface in KDE5.

I don't even Know how I did this. It's just what I do. I wake up. I'm aware that I'm awake. But, I don't stir. Nor do I consciously start thinking about anything.

And it's in that warm, still place that the problems of the world are resolved! (It's probably known, to science, as a state of clear headedness; Before all the Dogs kick off and I start needing tea!)

Either way, schit falls into place during that time. Then I get up, full of good ideas :)

63% Can't wait to get into KDE and start messing around! :D

:D:D:D:D:D This is Great fun!!!!! I'm in!!! :D

Loving it, Johnboy! Found Firefox. That got me here. Couldn't fathom my password ~ as ever. Got Yahoo up. Signed in there. Reset my password for here, through there. Absolutely as natural as ever!

Just off to watch that chube, again. Refresh my head on exactly how I DL this and that's It! Doze can do one! :D

Definitely be back!

:D:D:D:D:D This is Great fun!!!!! I'm in!!! :D

Loving it, Johnboy! Found Firefox. That got me here. Couldn't fathom my password ~ as ever. Got Yahoo up. Signed in there. Reset my password for here, through there. Absolutely as natural as ever!

Just off to watch that chube, again. Refresh my head on exactly how I DL this and that's It! Doze can do one! :D

Definitely be back!

Once you have that running, you can install it to the PC that it is running on without any further downloads.

There should be an "Install Me" icon on the desktop, or if not then you will find it in the menu.

Glad you got sorted ;)

(Click to see full sized image)

kde5-2020.png

:confused: Ok. Weirdness happened .....

I opened the chube, to see how to DL it? No sound!

So, I found the volumes and cranked everything to 100% (I'm deaf as a post) and heard a Pop! from my speakers. So; Speakers fine, as ever. Chube emitting no sounds though. (Obviously, I checked everything on there. Point of fact, I've just hit a chube now. Loud!)

Then, I opened a music chube, to keep a constant source of sound. And nothing I did would bring me sound.

Then, it froze. Chube froze. Nothing I clicked did anything. (Surprised the mouse was working) Hit the big button and killed the power.

Rebooted, back into there? Opened FF and tried to get chube? Nada. No Ethernet connection :confused: Went into that and tried switching anything on? Having none of it. Hit the big button.

Booted into doze and here I am. Fully connected. Sound. Everything normal.

What ye reckon could happened there, please? (I was really bloody enjoying that too! I was ~ initially ~ finding and doing stuff dead quick and easy :))

The sound stream can be managed from the speaker icon in the tray - right bottom. It might have been being sent to the incorrect audio sink.

Also PulseAudio Volume Control allows you to completely control all things audio.
    If you see any of the indicators moving as you play (but not hear) audio then the audio system is working, just not going to the correct audio sink.

Also be sure that the audio is not 'off' on the youtube window ..... it happens sometimes.

Without being there and witnessing, it is difficult to tell ..... but I suspect because you were running 'live' (everything in RAM) on a limited resource PC, you quite likely tried to do too much for it.

Once you decide to install do a fresh reboot and install immediately without opening Firefox or any other application.

Sounds fair enough :) Thanks.

I have a free afternoon ahead of me now. Think I'll just kick back and fiddle about some more. Start with watching that chube till I have it down and can go straight in for the DL.

Get myself confident enough that I'll be bragging to my mates about it. Then, I'll pull out the big machine and chuck it on that. Get to hear The Bosses latest album, at last, too! :D

• Advertisement

Hopefully ye didn't bust a gut pulling out that old machine :D

Hopefully ye didn't bust a gut pulling out that old machine :D

Want my #? 😭 I Don't understand it!

Old one booted to No Connection. New one same - after it lost 7.

No Internet. On phone. Took notes. Take all night to one finger tap them out.

No computer able to get on line. New one couldn't dl Linux.

😭

1. So the PCs are booting Linux OK ? y/n

2. Has your internet gone down? y/n

3. What do you mean it 'lost 7'?

1. So the PCs are booting Linux OK ? y/n

2. Has your internet gone down? y/n

3. What do you mean it 'lost 7'?

1. Y.
    2. N - only on Linux.
    3. 7 went! Boss did it.

1. Y.
    2. N - only on Linux.
    3. 7 went! Boss did it.

OK, to address 2.

Is this correct?

You previously had internet when booting the USB stick, but now do not? y/n?

OK, to address 2.

Is this correct?

You previously had internet when booting the USB stick, but now do not? y/n?

Y.

As it is not possible to make any permanent change to the 'live' system, then something else has changed.
    Have you tried rebooting your modem/router? y/n

As it is not possible to make any permanent change to the 'live' system, then something else has changed.
    Have you tried rebooting your modem/router? y/n

Y.

Which PC have you booted using the live USB?

Have you booted this since you rebooted the modem/router? If not do so.

• Advertisement

Which PC have you booted using the live USB?

Have you booted this since you rebooted the modem/router? If not do so.

Have. All written down. Phone so faster. Pm my no?

Advertisement