Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Need to know about tarmac

• 31-05-2016 10:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 11

Hey
    Looking for abit of advice here.. im thinking of getting my drive way tarmaced.. im a single mam with no knowledge of whats involved. Ive had 2 quotes .. 2 very diffetent quotes.. one states he would lay 3.5 inch of tarmac and states anything under that would be ametuar.. and the 2nd states he will lay 2/ 2.5 inch and that the first chap is lying when he said hed lay 3.5... that nobody lays that measurement. ? Ive tried to google this but im confused with the explainations of hard core tar and levels etc.. and certain mm of the tarmac ?? I want my drive way just to look nice with a dark tarmac that will stand the test of time.. any one able to give me some advice??

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,673 ✭✭✭exaisle

You might find this thread helpful,although its fairly old, like meself.....

http://www.askaboutmoney.com/threads/cost-of-laying-tarmacadam.32589/

What part of the country are you in??

• Registered Users Posts: 11 nursejobsharer

Im n kildare naas ....thanks i have a look

• Registered Users Posts: 18,440 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

If you want a lasting job that's hard wearing, particularly if your drive is on an incline then you should consider Asphalt rather than tarmacadam, harder and longer lasting.

I've had two houses done and both times it was laid in two layers reaching ~75mm deep.

• Registered Users Posts: 284 ✭✭carrickbawn

I'm also trying to get a driveway done at the moment. Was thinking of getting a quote from company based in Cork called Ideal Driveways... Has anyone here had job done by them?
    Slow to get anyone without references from other clients...
    Thank you... will appreciate any feedback.

• Registered Users Posts: 268 ✭✭fox0512

The risk of layin 2/2.5 of anything is when they hit any high points in underlay...this will result in some ares with a covering of 1" or so...for domestic use go for small chip 10mm ..... if possible go for thicker layer because if it starts to lift in areas you will have a mighty mess on your hands...also ensure that their mix is correct in terms of tar to stone mix....to little of the black stuff will result in an equal mess.

If any contractor had mentioned 2" of tarmac to me I would not be taking it any further

• Advertisement
Advertisement