Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I bet you didn't know that this thread would have a part 2

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,056 ✭✭✭secondrowgal

Taken from YLYL10:

When the euro bank notes were designed, they used European-style bridges that did not really exist so as not to have to choose between countries.

The Dutch town of Spijkenisse claimed them all for the Netherlands simply by building them all.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Eiw-QtYU4AEM9c8?format=jpg&name=large

Eiw-QtYU4AEM9c8?format=jpg&name=large

• Registered Users Posts: 18,921 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

Taken from YLYL10:

When the euro bank notes were designed, they used European-style bridges that did not really exist so as not to have to choose between countries.

The Dutch town of Spijkenisse claimed them all for the Netherlands simply by building them all.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Eiw-QtYU4AEM9c8?format=jpg&name=large

Eiw-QtYU4AEM9c8?format=jpg&name=large

I did know this and I have always loved it.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,652 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

In trials in March 1845 HMS Rattler pulled the paddlewheeler HMS Alecto backwards at 2 knots. They had similar engines so it put paid to any debate about the effectiveness of propellers vs. paddles.

Launched in 1843 HMS Rattlerwas the Royal Navy's first screw propeller driven ship.

100 years later the US Navy was operating two paddle steamer aircraft carriers.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,366 ✭✭✭KevRossi

The pitch in the Veltins Arena, which is the home stadium of Schalke 04 is retractable. So after a match they wheel it outside so it can get the best growing in sun and light. The stadium has a retractable roof as well, meaning the opening would be a lot smaller than normal.

They wheel it in under one if the end stands, which is consructed like a bridge and is held up with hydralic jacks during matches.

It weighs 11,000 tons, takes 5 hours to set up and move (70cm per minute when it's actually rolling) and costs €13,000 to do this every time.

The stadium has 5 Km of beer pipelines, meaning it can serve 40,000 litres per hour.

You can see the pitch parked outside the stadium here. https://www.google.com/maps/place/VELTINS-Arena/@51.553676,7.0649102,492m/data=!3m1!1e3!4m5!3m4!1s0x0:0xdfce5aff64fdbf72!8m2!3d51.5546309!4d7.0675262

FWIW, it seats 62,000 (Aviva 55,000), has a retractable roof and cost €191million in 2001 (Aviva €400million+ in 2007). Germany's construction costs per hour are higher than here. Stadium is in use 12 months of the year for all sorts of events. Makes you think.

And there's a video, auf Deutsch, about the process here.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,368 ✭✭✭Ryath

100 years later the US Navy was operating two paddle steamer aircraft carriers.

In fairness they were converted luxury cruisers on the Great lakes that were just used for training. Don't think they had to go anywhere fast!

http://www.vintagewings.ca/VintageNews/Stories/tabid/116/articleType/ArticleView/articleId/421/The-Great-Lakes-Paddlewheeler-Aircraft-Carriers.aspx

USS-USSWolverineIX-64liesatanchorinLakeMichigan-43.jpg

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 5,480 ✭✭✭Chancer3001

I may have read this fact here...cant remember where...im hoping somebody debunks it cos it makes ZERO sense to me...

Imagine wrapping a rope around a soccer ball one loop. You need x amount of rope.

Now say i want to leave 1m of space between the ball and the rope...i need an extra 6m of rope apparently...

Heres the mental part.

Imagine wrapping a rope around the earth. I need y amount of rope.

Now say i want to leave 1m of space between the earth and the rope....i still only need an extra 6m of rope!

Please somebody tell me that's absolute poppycock before my head explodes.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,298 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

Do you mean like a tether (in which case, I'd say you'd just need a metre), or do you mean a circle (or a sphere?) that's entirely one metre away from the Earth's surface?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,755 ✭✭✭Cordell

Ball radius 0.3m, rope length 0.3xPIx2 = 1.884 meters.
    Adding one meter, 1.3xPIx2 = 8.164 meters, about 6 meters more.

Earth radius is 6,371,000 meters, rope length will be 6371000 x PI x 2 = 40,009,880 meters.
    Adding one meter, 6371001 x PI x 2 = 40,009,886 meters. Again, 6 meters more.

The initial ball size doesn't matter, it can be the whole universe + 1 meter, it's still just another 6 meters.
    Rope length is RxPIx2 and (R+1)xPIx2 = RxPIx2 + 2xPI.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,089 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

I may have read this fact here...cant remember where...im hoping somebody debunks it cos it makes ZERO sense to me...

Imagine wrapping a rope around a soccer ball one loop. You need x amount of rope.

Now say i want to leave 1m of space between the ball and the rope...i need an extra 6m of rope apparently...

Heres the mental part.

Imagine wrapping a rope around the earth. I need y amount of rope.

Now say i want to leave 1m of space between the earth and the rope....i still only need an extra 6m of rope!

Please somebody tell me that's absolute poppycock before my head explodes.

an extra 6.28m approximately in both cases.
    the length of the rope is the circumference of the circle formed by the rope
    the circumference of a circle is 2*pi*r. r= 22/7 or 3.14 approximately.
    If you want the rope to be 1m away from the object you are adding 1m to the radius of the circle, which is the r in the equation.
    so adding 1M increases the circumference of the circle by 2*3.14*1 = 6.28.
    Irrespective of the size of the original object this still holds. and it makes sense even without the maths. if you take the case of the ball you add 6.28m to the circumference. as a percentage that is about 700% of the circumference of the ball assuming the ball is about 30cm in diameter (so a radius of 15cm).
    For the earth the difference in circumference between the earth and the rope 1m above the earth is still 6.28m but that is only a tiny additional increase on the circumference of the earth.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,298 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

What bulletproof glass on an armoured car looks like.

5f76f7de5d4d5_6l8r8hzto7p41__700.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 13,978 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

Dermot Bannon was on the 'Freak or Unique' segment on TFI Friday's 2000 St Patrick's day special from Dublin.
    Go to 29m30s

• Registered Users Posts: 7,992 ✭✭✭joeguevara

retalivity wrote: »
    Dermot Bannon was on the 'Freak or Unique' segment on TFI Friday's 2000 St Patrick's day special from Dublin.
    Go to 29m30s

It says it is restricted...was he a freak or unique?

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,390 Mod ✭✭✭✭humberklog

Dermot Bannon was on Blind Date with Cilla back in 1995 too and whilst most people know that I betchya didn't know his programme is currently prepping a house for filming across the road from my parents.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,125 Mod ✭✭✭✭cdeb

The world's smallest capital is...?

Plymouth, Montserrat.

Population, nil.

It was destroyed in the 1995 volcanic eruption and buried pretty much the same way Pompeii was. The entire city was evacuated, and in fact half the population left the country entirely. But Plymouth is still considered the capital - the only capital city in the world that's also a ghost town.

2338816084_547e8d3856_z.jpg

Irish was one of the main languages of Montserrat until the early 20th century, even among the black slaves and their descendants.

cdeb wrote: »
    The world's smallest capital is...?

Plymouth, Montserrat.

Population, nil.

It was destroyed in the 1995 volcanic eruption and buried pretty much the same way Pompeii was. The entire city was evacuated, and in fact half the population left the country entirely. But Plymouth is still considered the capital - the only capital city in the world that's also a ghost town.

2338816084_547e8d3856_z.jpg

Irish was one of the main languages of Montserrat until the early 20th century, even among the black slaves and their descendants.

Irish indentured servants made up the majority of the population of montserrat at one point.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,999 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Do they speak Irish, or English with an Irish accent?

Not your ornery onager

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,125 Mod ✭✭✭✭cdeb

Irish.

Here's a 1905 account about a Cork sailor visiting the place -
    He frequently told me that in the year 1852, when mate of the brig Kaloolah, he went ashore on the island of Montserrat which was then out of the usual track of shipping. He said he was much surprised to hear the negroes actually talking Irish among themselves, and that he joined in the conversation…

(They don't speak Irish any more though)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,636 ✭✭✭Captain_Crash

Esel wrote: »
    Do they speak Irish, or English with an Irish accent?

English, with an accent more Cork than Cork itself

https://youtu.be/Jfip96k1cE0

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,978 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

joeguevara wrote: »
    It says it is restricted...was he a freak or unique?

Freak, definitely.

Artificial Cranial Deformation (ACL) was practised amongst a number of cultures worldwide. It involves bandaging and strapping the heads of babies, when their skulls are still formable, to form oblong shapes.

The cultures where it was traditionally practiced are so widely dispersed that it is unlikely they had any previous contact and that each one developed the idea separately.

It is believed to have been done as a sign of beauty and a symbol of belonging to an upper caste as it made people look more intelligent. It may still be practiced in pacific island groups and it is believed that there are no negative health effects from doing this.

There's more reading here about skulls found in Peru.

800px-%C2%AB_d%C3%A9formation_toulousaine_%C2%BB_MHNT.jpg

Cranial-Modification-e1543319045311-258x300.jpg

Sch%C3%A4del_der_Chongos.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 13,494 ✭✭✭✭joujoujou
    Unregistered Users

Widely known helical spring washer, used to prevent bolts/nuts from becoming loose.

wsl-xxxx-4.jpg

Well, NASA claims:
    [...] In summary, a lockwasher of this type is useless for locking. [...]

https://ntrs.nasa.gov/api/citations/19900009424/downloads/19900009424.pdf

• Registered Users Posts: 5,755 ✭✭✭Cordell

Do we really need NASA to tell us that the clamping force of a properly torqued fastener is much, much greaten than the force exerted by the spring component of the washer? The only thing they can do is make it visually obvious that it came loose, and nothing else.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭lmimmfn

KevRossi wrote: »
    Artificial Cranial Deformation (ACL) was practised amongst a number of cultures worldwide. It involves bandaging and strapping the heads of babies, when their skulls are still formable, to form oblong shapes.

The cultures where it was traditionally practiced are so widely dispersed that it is unlikely they had any previous contact and that each one developed the idea separately.

It is believed to have been done as a sign of beauty and a symbol of belonging to an upper caste as it made people look more intelligent. It may still be practiced in pacific island groups and it is believed that there are no negative health effects from doing this.

There's more reading here about skulls found in Peru.

800px-%C2%AB_d%C3%A9formation_toulousaine_%C2%BB_MHNT.jpg

Cranial-Modification-e1543319045311-258x300.jpg

Sch%C3%A4del_der_Chongos.jpg
    Thats obviously aliens

watching a program about stolen art on BBC2. they mentioned the most expensive item ever stolen. It was a Vermeer stolen in boston in 1990 that was worth $200M

Momijigari in Japan is the act of leaf-spotting, or visiting areas with orange leaves in Autumn to enjoy the colours.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,056 ✭✭✭secondrowgal

watching a program about stolen art on BBC2. they mentioned the most expensive item ever stolen. It was a Vermeer stolen in boston in 1990 that was worth $200M

They were talking about this on Newstalk yesterday - think the lunchtime show. It's believed that this painting may be in Ireland :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

KevRossi wrote: »
    Momijigari in Japan is the act of leaf-spotting, or visiting areas with orange leaves in Autumn to enjoy the colours.

Cherry Blossom festivals are huge in Japan also. They actually give nightly forecasts following the weather segment of news programs that track the sakura zensen (cherry blossom front) as it moves northward up the archipelago with the approach of warmer weather.

They love their trees in Japan and spend an awful lot of protecting them from damage. One of the practices is crazy. They create intricate rope supports to prevent branch damage due to snow during the winter.

snow-load-support-for-trees_resize_md.jpg

lit-up-yukitsuri.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

They were talking about this on Newstalk yesterday - think the lunchtime show. It's believed that this painting may be in Ireland :eek:

Watched it last night too. Interesting enough but the host was a bit annoying.

By the looks of it, the place in Dublin is Crumlin.

Advertisement