Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Let’s end door to door sales

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 34,391 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

daheff wrote: »
    A polite "I don't buy from door to door sales people is all thats required"

They'll get the message quickly when there are no sales

Jehovah's Witnesses believe that if you reject their door to door proselytising that's you goosed once Armageddon comes along.

So never answer the door and their god won't murder you :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 991 ✭✭✭TuringBot47

duffman13 wrote: »
    I wouldn't buy from them but I wouldnt be rude or a dickhead to someone trying to make a living.

They are turning up uninvited to peoples homes, to interrupt them so they can read out scripted advertisements.
    I'd say the rudeness is on their side.

I remember two guys going around the houses and called to my door.
    One was obviously training the other.
    But he started off the conversation by trying/offering to shake my hand.
    I left his hand hanging there in the air until I knew why they were calling.

As soon as I heard it was bloody Phonewatch or whatever, I abruptly stopped their scripted sales act.

That "No cold callers" sign also probably helps deter burglars.
    Burglars will typically try ringing the bell to see if someone was in.
    Those signs would deter them a little more.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,419 ✭✭✭antix80

I'd really like to see an end to door to door sales too. It's not like it's a man going door-to-door with a sack of washing powder and selling a cupful (which was a thing, look it up)..

It's usually either a cowboy builder/gardener seeking to rip off an old person, or an agent on commission misleading someone.

There should be a register of door to door sellers with tax numbers/company numbers provided as an introduction, a written quote and a cooling off period. Stringent rules surrounding deposits (eg perhaps only may cover a percentage of materials) and no payment required without a valid invoice.

Garda vetting wouldn't be a bad shout.

• Registered Users Posts: 728 ✭✭✭20Wheel

Just get a 'no sales calls' sign.

I once did leaflet/junk mail delivery.

I remember one house having the mother of all go away signs.
    Along the lines of no sales, no jesus, no politicians, and a few cayegories, basically one big fck off sign.

And i respect that.

Must get one. Although its difficult to get a tasteful one with the right size.

Putin is a dictator. Putin should face justice at the Hague. All good Russians should work to depose Putin. Russias war in Ukraine is illegal and morally wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭sbsquarepants

My myself and the missus had a row there a while back and i stormed off upstairs to sulk.

Cold caller knocks on the door and the missus answers - she's one of those gobshítes who just can't say no to people so she calls me down (from my high horse / bedroom) to do the dirty work - but i see at the door a vision, a drop dead gorgeous woman, maybe 30 years old, so naturally I see the chance to exact revenge.

I invite her in, offer her tea and biscuits, flirt to my hearts content - I am fúcking smashing this revenge shít. I feel alive!

Anyway, long story short - i now pay over the odds for my broadband and the missus still isn't talking to me.

So yea, i want this shít banned:mad:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27,842 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

I think one of the reasons companies are using them is that the door to door seller can promise X, there's no recording, nothing in writing.
    By the time customer realises what they signed up to isn't what was promised, the agent is probably long gone with the commission and the company doesn't care.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,128 ✭✭✭Tacitus Kilgore

Probably a bit harsh calling them low life scum, some nice people out there doing a job they likely don't want but desperately need.

I wouldn't buy from them but I wouldnt be rude or a dickhead to someone trying to make a living. Could be sitting on scratcher earning near enough the same money

x2,

Calling anyone doing a shite job to try make a living scum, is fairly scummy in itself.

Must be tough, up there at the top.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

I haven't had one call in a long while.

I had a woman call to the house with her kid for a Poppy Appeal collection. The kid was obviously for emotional blackmail, called at 10 o'clock on a Sunday morning and all.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,800 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

razorblunt wrote: »
    I haven't had one call in a long while.

I had a woman call to the house with her kid for a Poppy Appeal collection. The kid was obviously for emotional blackmail, called at 10 o'clock on a Sunday morning and all.

10 on a fûcking Sunday morning ? Sorry you could be calling with the best will and cause going but all you are getting will be a face full of door, the clown.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 38,807 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

I used to have Eircom calling both by phone and to the door every other day.
    Each time, I'd say that I'd rather cut off my arms than be one of their customers (long story which involved them confirming in writing that they lied to me).
    Anyhow, they would always ignore me and call again a few days later.

In the end I wrote a letter to their Data Protection Officer (whose details at the time were very difficult to find) and demanded that I be removed from all marketing lists with immediate effect. If there were to be any further calls (by phone, door or post) there would be a charge of €10,000 per call.
    After hand delivering the letter into HSQ (and getting receipt), they never once called again!

Still wouldn't go with them, the contemptuous shower of...

What I hate most nowadays is those who start by saying how they aren't selling anything and it transpires that they want my bank details.
    Would you gwan ta feck!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,083 ✭✭✭Rubberchikken

we're with eir, since forever, and electric ireland, since forever too and no intention of changing.
    we've very few callers but if one does then i just tell them i dont do business at my door.

i definitely wouldnt give any details. just a polite no thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,321 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

There should be an opt out where anyone who ignores this calling to your house is fined €5k.

I'm sick of these low life scum calling to the door.

Do you ever think that maybe, possibly, there's the slightest, small chance that you might be over-reacting just a smidgen?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,350 ✭✭✭✭cj maxx

My parents had an eir sales man at the door . They weren't happy with telecom eireann so signed up.
    Got the router in the post .
    Called them to set it up and they'd never heard of us !
    No money was changed hands but I've always thought of eir as a Mickey mouse operation since.
    Probably just bad timing on their part but still

• Registered Users Posts: 4,707 ✭✭✭Bobblehats

Probably a bit harsh calling them low life scum, some nice people out there doing a job they likely don't want but desperately need.

I wouldn't buy from them but I wouldnt be rude or a dickhead to someone trying to make a living. Could be sitting on scratcher earning near enough the same money

Wouldn’t call them that but once you accidentally open the door to this sort surely they can gauge a facial reaction and leave it at that? I try to hear them out but they cannot leave it. Incessant haggling; fight or flight seems to kick in at some point and I don’t want a scene on my doorstep with these people so the only cut off point is when the door once again comes between us. Homer/bush springs to mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,825 ✭✭✭LirW

I don't get a lot of them but I worked in field sales briefly and this is just about the most miserable job out there.
    These sales people are aware that everyone hates them, the targets are crazy, the pay is bad and you're constantly compared to the one guy who worked there seven years ago and did double the target one week making bazillion euros.
    In that job are around 15% passionate people that eat, breath and sh1t sales and the rest is just so desperate to have any sort of job.
    It's lonely, frustrating and pressure and all in all it's so not worth it.

And I honestly don't know if it's worth to keep field sales in this day and age.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,347 ✭✭✭Ray Palmer

If you want to mess with the Mormons just insist that you will only talk to one of them without the other one. They can't do it because the whole preaching thing is tied them watch and snitching on each other.

The literally aren't allowed be alone or have privacy. It is really messed up

• Registered Users Posts: 3,720 ✭✭✭Greyfox

I personally don't see any issue with door to door sales people as if I don't know your calling I'm not going to answer the door anyway

Do you ever think that maybe, possibly, there's the slightest, small chance that you might be over-reacting just a smidgen?

I don’t think it’s an over reactive comment, people get fed up to the back teeth of people who call to the door trying to sell things AND who then WONT take no for an answer.

It’s been a significant amount of time since I’ve opened my door to one, I’ll certainly listen out of respect then....”actually sorry, I’m not interested thanks” and just close the door... if they choose to try and continue with a ‘pitch’ not my problem. It’s my house and I’ll decide who I speak to. I don’t fûckin appreciate being forced to entertain unwanted sales pitches on my property...I say enough... get the fûck out of here....

• Registered Users Posts: 958 ✭✭✭Stratvs

https://www.ebay.com/c/1831806285

Maybe one of those is the answer.

We have "No Junk Mail" on letterbox but still get bags for fake charity clothing collections.
    We have a "no door to door sales" under the doorbell. Mostly it works, but there was this one guy who called and when I answered he pointed to it and said, in justification for ringing the bell, "I'm not trying to sell you anything I'm here to save you money". He was from one of the power companies. I had to laugh in fairness.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,534 ✭✭✭Stacksofwacks

Like anything, anyone who does that and makes a success of it then fair play to them as its not an easy gig. It must be like going around to every girl in the nightclub asking for the ride and being told F-off until you finally get one into the taxi..Just a polite no or don't answer the door, I don't think much of people who get abusive towards them either.

• Advertisement

Like anything, anyone who does that and makes a success of it then fair play to them as its not an easy gig. It must be like going around to every girl in the nightclub asking for the ride and being told F-off until you finally get one into the taxi..Just a polite no or don't answer the door, I don't think much of people who get abusive towards them either.

If you say ‘no thanks, I’m not interested’ but they try and remain on your property and up the intensity or aggression of their ‘pitch’ I up MY aggression...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,219 ✭✭✭tipptom

Strumms wrote: »
    One cheeky cûnt who called last year got a hello in and almost an ambulance dialed for him when he put his foot on the rail for my porch door discouraging me from being able to close it.... I had to gently push him away and less gently tell him what might happen if he returned.

Damn you,Old Gill needed that sale.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,682 ✭✭✭Signore Fancy Pants

Where's that Betterware Catalogue guy?

Need another long handled back moisturiser applicator.

• Registered Users Posts: 991 ✭✭✭TuringBot47

Where's that Betterware Catalogue guy?

Those were cheeky feeks too.
    Dropping a catalogue into the house and saying there was a charge if you didn't return it.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

Strumms wrote: »
    10 on a fûcking Sunday morning ? Sorry you could be calling with the best will and cause going but all you are getting will be a face full of door, the clown.

I know, if the kid wasn't there I'd have actually had a bit of a rant as I said in the relevant thread at the time I was also doorstepped at my desk in work by collectors for it too, who even had a contactless machine for folk that didn't have cash. I was close to a complaint on that one, they were making a "no" awkward, thankfully one of the lads suggested they google Irish History and have a read.
    Still debating on whether to raise that up or would it mark my card.

In the end for the door caller, I ended up politely saying its 10, on a Sunday, we've just sent the small one down for a morning nap so this is not ideal. Next year I'll be answering with the Wolfe Tones on blast.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 428 ✭✭blueshade

I never open the door to them. Interestingly enough, there seems to be far fewer chuggers around these days which is a good thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,452 ✭✭✭Charles Babbage

NSAman wrote: »
    Don’t have that issue here. Anyone calls to my home, I can shoot them..;)

We can't all move to Texas.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,386 ✭✭✭NSAman

And people can shoot up your friends and family in school or work but hey..

Hardly, if you knew where I live it is full of ex-cops all armed and not afraid to use said arms if needed.

No one will call to a house unannounced, there are no unsolicited callers.. which I really like.

Personally, I do not own a gun. I can leave my doors open as there is no crime as people are too frightened to enter someone else's home.
    Edgware wrote: »
    Are you Padraig Nally?

Nope although I think he had every right to defend himself.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,176 ✭✭✭✭ILoveYourVibes

robman60 wrote: »
    I did it as a summer job when I was 19. Amazingly character building and killed any shyness I had (out of necessity). However, nothing worse than a day in the rain and nothing to show for it if you didn't get a sale, which was over half of the days in what I was selling, even though I was up there with the highest sales people were doing.

I am one of those people who will buy from a door-to-door salesperson though. Partially because I've done it and know it could make someone's day, and partially because in the likes of home electricity there is a loyalty penalty if you don't move promptly after promotional periods often.

Why would buy something to 'make the salesperson's day'?

Its not a 'nice' thing to do. Its just letting their bosses continue to get them to work without paying them.

Walking around trying to sell is work. If you want someone to do it for you then you should PAY then by the hr.

I say we boycott all door to door sales people until companies start paying them the hrly MINIMUM wage.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,176 ✭✭✭✭ILoveYourVibes

Its just an exploit gig. The company gets the odd sale without having to pay people for it.

Advertisement