Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Let’s end door to door sales

• 21-11-2019 12:32am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭

Hi,
    I would like the power of after hours to do some good over the next few months.

Let’s end door to door sales. I’m sick of them knocking on my door whenever I sit down for dinner. I’m sick of their bosses lying to them about the huge money they will make while they advertise the business while not making any sales or commission.

Can we all, no matter how lonely we are go to the door and shout, I don’t buy anything at the door, then go back to our lives.

I do this. I tell everybody I know to do this. Can you do this?

What else can we end by shouting from behind a closed door?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭MoashoaM

I got rid of my door months ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,222 ✭✭✭robman60

I did it as a summer job when I was 19. Amazingly character building and killed any shyness I had (out of necessity). However, nothing worse than a day in the rain and nothing to show for it if you didn't get a sale, which was over half of the days in what I was selling, even though I was up there with the highest sales people were doing.

I am one of those people who will buy from a door-to-door salesperson though. Partially because I've done it and know it could make someone's day, and partially because in the likes of home electricity there is a loyalty penalty if you don't move promptly after promotional periods often.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,058 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

There should be an opt out where anyone who ignores this calling to your house is fined €5k.

I'm sick of these low life scum calling to the door.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,711 ✭✭✭✭Charlie19

Had a guy call on Halloween night, now that is some sneaky ass tactics.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,638 ✭✭✭andekwarhola

Charlie19 wrote: »
    Had a guy call on Halloween night, now that is some sneaky ass tactics.

Are you sure it wasn't just a big kid dressed as a door to door salesman?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,711 ✭✭✭✭Charlie19

Are you sure it wasn't just a big kid dressed as a door to door salesman?

Ha yes that would be brilliant but unfortunately no.

By the way it's the 2nd time it's happened in the last 6/7 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 505 ✭✭✭zanador

I've a sign in my door, no unsolicited mail, no sales people, no canvassers - havent had any of the above for years.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭scamalert

its like 80 or 50s technique that should been banned ages ago, dont mind fliers if its such a great deal then ok advertise, but better put people on call center support rather exporting it to 3rd world countries, and letting some poor sap make living by trying to sell some service in this day and age.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,855 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

I just don't answer the door unless I'm expecting someone to call, the video doorbell makes it easier to ignore the unwanted callers.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,382 ✭✭✭1874

robman60 wrote: »
    I did it as a summer job when I was 19. Amazingly character building and killed any shyness I had (out of necessity). However, nothing worse than a day in the rain and nothing to show for it if you didn't get a sale, which was over half of the days in what I was selling, even though I was up there with the highest sales people were doing.

I am one of those people who will buy from a door-to-door salesperson though. Partially because I've done it and know it could make someone's day, and partially because in the likes of home electricity there is a loyalty penalty if you don't move promptly after promotional periods often.

There are loyalty benefits from changing yourself too, at least one utility has loyalty benefits for existing customers, completely shut the idea down when I saw details of someone on my road on a hardcopy, I appreciate many use tablets now, but why take the risk when the benefits are already available.

Aside from the fact they knock and then persist and then still callback when there was no answer when Im resting up from shift, Id even a chap knock again after I already spoke to him, the same person, not like he was a different person from the same group doing the street.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,386 ✭✭✭NSAman

Don’t have that issue here. Anyone calls to my home, I can shoot them..;)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,638 ✭✭✭andekwarhola

NSAman wrote: »

And people can shoot up your friends and family in school or work but hey..

• Registered Users Posts: 5,833 ✭✭✭daheff

A polite "I don't buy from door to door sales people is all thats required"

They'll get the message quickly when there are no sales

• Registered Users Posts: 81,058 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

daheff wrote: »

What if it's 2 or 3 evenings a week when your just home after a day's work and the same companies are calling again within 2 months? It's not far off harrasment.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 5,760 Mod ✭✭✭✭irish_goat

Never had one call to my house in my life. Have had people from various cults call but never anyone selling anything (other than the promise of eternal life).

• Registered Users Posts: 12,356 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

irish_goat wrote: »
    Never had one call to my house in my life. Have had people from various cults call but never anyone selling anything (other than the promise of eternal life).

" would you like world peace and an end to suffering" opening line for one lot, havent see the Mormons in years though.

How do they pick areas to target, where I live you get waves of them from time to time, I know other areas where they are rarley seen even in bits of the area that is very wealthy.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,716 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Nothing any good is ever sold door to door.
    You can get better stuff in a shop or online, with a guarantee, why would you even bother?

A great deal of it is outright scamming too.

A particular hate are locals calling touting for utilities or insurance companies as if I owe them the custom.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,354 ✭✭✭corner of hells

I fitted a small switch on the cabinet that houses my fuse board , the switch disconnects my doorbell.

We haven't had a salesman call in years , though one of her dopey sisters regularly reminds me our doorbell doesn't work, she thinks its hilarious as I'm electrician.
    Little does she know.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭Tangatagamadda Chaddabinga Bonga Bungo

Don't answer the main front door ever. Anyone who knows me and is calling in will knock on the window or tell me on the phone they are there.

Only time recently I did answer was when someone knocked on my own front door to the apartment, which is inside the building. And it was a scumbag scoping out the place, so was glad I answered that time. His friend was upstairs at the other apartments but they left once they realised there was no quick and easy way to steal anything.

I'm thinking of installing some real fake doors to avoid the TV License Inspector and Dee Forbes from getting in.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,416 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

I am going to start a campaign to have more door to door sales persons, personally I think we dont have enough of them

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 38,775 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

You should never open the door - an unopened door is a happy door!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,990 ✭✭✭✭Purple Mountain

irish_goat wrote: »

Same here. That's the joys of country life.
    Although in the summer, you might see a fella selling his gates off the back of a hiace but that seems to have died off too.

To thine own self be true

• Registered Users Posts: 1,166 ✭✭✭chrissb8

daheff wrote: »

Ha! As if that ever works. As soon as you say that you get some wiley response like "is there anyone else in the house then?" "We're not actually selling I just want to see if you might be interested in the current deals we have"

Honestly they are desperate enough folk and it shows. No is saying no thanks and closing the door on their faces before they can get another word in.

I have no sympathy for them either. You decided to call me at my house, my own personal space where I get away from the world and relax. You expect me to give you the time of day when you try and interrupt that?

In a world where ads are stuffed into 30 sec videos. Flyers pushed in your face and constant exhausting advertising everywhere and anywhere. You think it's fair that even the place I'm living you get to come up with this crap unnanounced and expect me to give you the time of day? No and here's a face full of door.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,875 ✭✭✭Edgware

NSAman wrote: »
    Are you Padraig Nally?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,764 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

One cheeky cûnt who called last year got a hello in and almost an ambulance dialed for him when he put his foot on the rail for my porch door discouraging me from being able to close it.... I had to gently push him away and less gently tell him what might happen if he returned.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,764 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

chrissb8 wrote: »

In a world where ads are stuffed into 30 sec videos. Flyers pushed in your face and constant exhausting advertising everywhere and anywhere. You think it's fair that even the place I'm living you get to come up with this crap unnanounced and expect me to give you the time of day? No and here's a face full of door.

This ^^^^ 1000%. You can’t watch a video on YouTube, can’t spend a while on Facebook without shît being pushed at you now. If that’s not enough of an invasion wañkers knocking on your door and trying to bully and harass you on your own property. Seems to be an increase of cold calling on phones too which I thought was a thing of the past...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,078 ✭✭✭IAMAMORON

Op is obviously some sort of anti-Capitalist.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,926 ✭✭✭mikemac2

Excuse me OP, can I share with you a message of hope from the bible?

• Registered Users Posts: 991 ✭✭✭TuringBot47

zanador wrote: »
    I've a sign in my door, no unsolicited mail, no sales people, no canvassers - havent had any of the above for years.

Same here.

Bought a sticker like this and placed it directly underneath the doorbell.

https://www.ebay.ie/itm/NO-COLD-CALLERS-SALES-PEOPLE-OR-CANVASSERS-Sticker-1-off-100mm/252162380009?hash=item3ab60c90e9:g:1SUAAOSwo0JWP7z0

Easy and cheap fix.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,945 ✭✭✭duffman13

There should be an opt out where anyone who ignores this calling to your house is fined €5k.

I'm sick of these low life scum calling to the door.

Probably a bit harsh calling them low life scum, some nice people out there doing a job they likely don't want but desperately need.

I wouldn't buy from them but I wouldnt be rude or a dickhead to someone trying to make a living. Could be sitting on scratcher earning near enough the same money

Advertisement