Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Martin "Viper" Foley faces €738,000 tax bill from CAB

• 20-11-2019 4:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,418 ✭✭✭

CAB must be the best ever Unit set up in this country. They should be used against criminals of all kinds, especially ones with made up names from Paul Williams. What are they not used a lot more?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,418 ✭✭✭Infernal Racket

A certain element of society involved in a current feud should be nailed by CAB too.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

if you chirsten your child "viper" youre asking for trouble

• Registered Users Posts: 1,597 ✭✭✭tdf7187

They should be let of the leash to go after corrupt politicians too.

if you chirsten your child "viper" youre asking for trouble

True. The Monk and the Penguin are 2 other terrible names bestowed upon children.

tdf7187 wrote: »

Unfortunately that will never happen.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,907 ✭✭✭Stevieluvsye

They work from the same principles as the rev

They work from the same principles as the rev

I think they're mostly civil servants and auditors too am I right? Few forensic accountants too I believe. Only way to **** around with criminals is to take their money. They don't fear anything else

Gerry G wrote: »
    I think they're mostly civil servants and auditors too am I right? Few forensic accountants too I believe. Only way to **** around with criminals is to take their money. They don't fear anything else

Ye that's correct. But CAB work from the same principles as the rev

Ye that's correct. But CAB work from the same principles as the rev

So they take all the illegal assets and then tax you for having them in the first place? Sweet

• Registered Users Posts: 4,199 ✭✭✭bullpost

Unfortunately that will never happen.

For good reason, Like the recent euro qualifiers, we've finished behind Denmark in another league, but in this case our performance on a global scale is pretty good.

https://www.transparency.org/country/IRL

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

tdf7187 wrote: »
    It has to be shown to be the proceeds of crime. Milking the system doesn't count! That said themselves and Revenue are the only ones who scare people!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,844 ✭✭✭DellyBelly

True. The Monk and the Penguin are 2 other terrible names bestowed upon children.

Not sure if you are joking or not but they were not christened with those names. Think these were given to them by the media..

• Registered Users Posts: 5,745 ✭✭✭Deebles McBeebles

Whenever you see pics of a CAB raid there will be revenue staff there too, truly the best way to deal with it.

DellyBelly wrote: »
    Not sure if you are joking or not but they were not christened with those names. Think these were given to them by the media..

You're new to Boards aren't ya? =)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,014 ✭✭✭tylercheribini

CAB must be the best ever Unit set up in this country. They should be used against criminals of all kinds, especially ones with made up names from Paul Williams. What are they not used a lot more?

Beggars belief they cant go after the Church for the millions they still owe to their victims.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,646 ✭✭✭✭El Weirdo

DellyBelly wrote: »

Seriously?

Beggars belief they cant go after the Church for the millions they still owe to their victims.
    That's an agreement or deal between the Church and the State and nobody else.

Far as I know they can only target proceeds of crime. The church doesn't need to commit crime to amass their billions, they have a loyal flock who just give them money.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,205 ✭✭✭cruizer101

The Church has made money from crime though, they basically sold children from the likes of Magdalene Laundries (adopted with a mandatory donation), no reason CAB shouldn't be able to go after them for that.

So they take all the illegal assets and then tax you for having them in the first place? Sweet

No G, i said principles :D We'll get there n the end.

Say for example with the rev

They find out you have earned €100k and if you haven't paid any tax, you'll have to pay the tax owed plus penalties for not paying the tax as per their regs

CAB

You have a house worth €100k but can't show how you have the means to pay for it.

They'll take it from you

You are guilty before you prove your innocence

You get my drift?................

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81,073 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Could he not just use the defence that he won it on the horses, it has worked before for people.

Could he not just use the defence that he won it on the horses, it has worked before for people.

The state has moved on since those days

cruizer101 wrote: »
    The Church has made money from crime though, they basically sold children from the likes of Magdalene Laundries (adopted with a mandatory donation), no reason CAB shouldn't be able to go after them for that.
    The CICA and subsequent reports have already investigated all of that. A deal was agreed and there's nothing to "go after".

• Registered Users Posts: 51,429 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

cruizer101 wrote: »

Unfortunately that was not illegal at the time. Should have been.

My personal favourite was "wobbly boots"

• Registered Users Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭sbsquarepants

The monk, the penguin and the viper, it's like gotham city ffs!

is_that_so wrote: »
    That's an agreement or deal between the Church and the State and nobody else.

Nope even with the indemnity clause agreed upon, the Church still owe 230 odd million which they arent paying anytime soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭sbsquarepants

Nope even with the indemnity clause agreed upon, the Church still owe 230 odd million which they arent paying anytime soon.

Should get the vipers debt collection agency on to them;)

Far as I know they can only target proceeds of crime.

Thats where Revenue come in, can still get you for tax evasion or if you cant prove where these assets came from.

• Advertisement

Should get the vipers debt collection agency on to them;)

More hope in fairness than this toothless government.

Advertisement