Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

How do you handle getting Fired?

• 16-11-2019 9:54pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 350 ✭✭

Let's see if people here are humble enough to talk about their experiences of being fired. I think it's always important in these situations that you remind them of the times you agreed to work longer hours at short notice and so on. But is there any way that you can make it difficult for them if you find the whole thing to be unfair? Even though you know there's no point, you just can't help but make your arguments for why it's unfair... and in doing so you always feel like you're making a fool out of yourself, because your best points have no effect, or because you get tongue tied.

If it's a manager who ordinarily never seems to have the time for you, and all of a sudden that manager actually wants to talk to you, then you know you're about to get fired. It's also kind of funny when they ask you how you are when you know you're about to be fired! And then you kind of feel like an idiot when you give the standard answer of "yeah, good enough". It's also funny how sometimes you might deserve to be fired but they still won't tell you the real reason you're being fired. They'll tell you about a time that you did something you shouldn't, and therefore you won't be able to argue back... but you'll probably realise sometime later that there are plenty of other staff who constantly do the same thing every day, and get away with it.

It was only once ever that I was able to talk a manager out of firing me. And it was very interesting that I was able to do this during, what was, my first proper job, so I would have only been 20. I think why I was able to talk him out of it was because it was just me and him in the room, and that can make all the difference. Another thing in my favour, was that for some reason, it seemed important to this boss that he was fair to people. So if you get a proper chance to voice your opinion to a guy who prides himself in being fair, then you stand a good chance. However if there's someone else in the room, then the person who's supposed to be firing you will look like a bit of an idiot if they appear to be talked out of it. I remember him this guy later telling me about he hating letting guys go so much that he only done it twice over the last decade. I lasted at that job in the end, and I felt I would also have lasted the other times I got fired if only the managers were willing to work with me and find a solution.

The last time I was fired was by far the most unfair. As I arrived at the door of my boss I could see her tap her phone to start a recording. It made sense that she would record me as she knew that I could be furious at what was about to happen and it was just me and her in the room. Although I had my arguments prepared, as I sat down I made the mistake of letting speak first, and she got straight to the point, framing it in a way that made it seem as if it was all outside of her control. If I'd spoke first I good have played dumb to what I knew was going to happen. She pretended that the job specification had changed and that that was the reason for letting me go. She said that I could re-apply for the new job. Nasty way to be fired. I should've really brought another employee along to represent me.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G4tfduPN3rM

Another time I got fired it was on an afternoon about an hour or so before the new roster was due to go up. I had only got two days work that week and towards the end of that day I was told to go to the office by another member of staff. I knocked on the door and a bit later the manager opened it as she was on the phone. She then saw that it was me and told me to wait a minute and closed it again. When she opened it again I thought she was finally going to ask me to come in, but she instead asked me to get the assistant manager. So I did. When I came back with the assistant manager, as I was about to walk in, the main manager said "just give us a moment first". I was made wait again before I was finally allowed in. I tried to joke by saying "the suspense is killing me" but got no reaction with it. When we got down to the firing, the assistant manager referred to a time I was late. But he said that I was 6 minutes late, when I actually came in 1 minute late! He couldn't look me in the eye as he said it. The main manager stayed out of it completely for a while, and left this between him and I. We disagreed on it and the conversation moved on. I felt like saying "well this is all on camera so let's look it up". But I didn't. I guess the reason I didn't was because I knew that they would just say "oh well it takes three hours to dig out the footage" or some crap like that. But would they? Why did he have to lie? Why couldn't 1 minute late be good enough. They wanted to fire me that day, but I reminded the manager of the times that I had come in to work for others who called in sick so she agreed to give me an extra few days work.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,629 ✭✭✭Aint Eazy Being Cheezy

How many times have you got sacked?!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 608 ✭✭✭chocksaway

TLDR

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 350 ✭✭Biodegradable

How many times have you got sacked?!!!!!

• Site Banned Posts: 1 917085

Why do you think that is?

For a future reference if anyone ever takes out their phone to record the conversation you do the same with your phone.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,381 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

917085 wrote: »
    Why do you think that is?

Have you seen his posts?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,462 ✭✭✭✭banie01

colm_mcm wrote: »
    Have you seen his posts?

+1

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

There's a clear common denominator in all five sackings.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

There's a clear common denominator in all five sackings.

Yes and it's the op

• Registered Users Posts: 11,298 ✭✭✭✭Collie D

Jesus. I might actually read the OP now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 890 ✭✭✭Johnny Sausage

I saw the thread title and just knew it would be you Haha

You're like the new Mr_Fegelien only your threads are about jobs not drugs

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,241 ✭✭✭Ninthlife

They cant fire me cause I QUIT

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Did you know that back in history there was a difference between being sacked and being fired?

Tradesmen journeyed between locations as work arose. They carried their tools in a bag or sack. When dismissed from a job on good terms they were given a sack to carry their tools to the next job. If the tradesman was being dismissed due to theft, or unbecoming behaviour, his tools were burned, or fired, so he could work nowhere else.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,629 ✭✭✭Aint Eazy Being Cheezy

Did you know that back in history there was a difference between being sacked and being fired?

Tradesmen journeyed between locations as work arose. They carried their tools in a bag or sack. When dismissed from a job on good terms they were given a sack to carry their tools to the next job. If the tradesman was being dismissed due to theft, or unbecoming behaviour, his tools were burned, or fired, so he could work nowhere else.

More interesting than the OP.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,277 ✭✭✭Your Face

I was never fired. There was even a job where I tried to get fired and they just never did, such incompetence.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,638 ✭✭✭andekwarhola

To get fired once is unfortunate, to get fired 5 times is join the dots time

• Registered Users Posts: 876 ✭✭✭ITman88

Your Face wrote: »
    I was never fired. There was even a job where I tried to get fired and they just never did, such incompetence.

Exactly, I was never fired yet, but when I tried to get fired it never happened😂

• Registered Users Posts: 11,170 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

Got the sack once from a retail job when I was 17.
    Trainee manager told me at the end of the shift they were letting me go. I was just a shy teen and working in the till wasn't for me at the time. Ironically next job had no problem on the till :pac:

Know a few people who also got fired end of the day. Gas, you're bad enough to get fired but they won't tell you during the day.
    Afraid you'll walk out? Doesn't matter as you're getting the boot. Of course they don't wanna be "down someone" on the shift. Bleugh.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,176 ✭✭✭✭ILoveYourVibes

curse them

• Registered Users Posts: 3,720 ✭✭✭Greyfox

To get fired once is unfortunate, to get fired 5 times is join the dots time

Hmmm I'm getting their.. Been fired 3 times.

Know a few people who also got fired end of the day. Gas, you're bad enough to get fired but they won't tell you during the day.

I would of preferred that but always got fired during the day which is poxy as your walking by people you've worked with and who you'll likely never see again. It would be nice to be telling them oh I got a warning but I really don't want to tell people I was sacked or for them to realise the boss is watching me walk quietly out of the building.

The fact is when your less than 6 months in a job it's easy to get sacked but after your probation it's hard for a company to sack you.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,176 ✭✭✭✭ILoveYourVibes

been fired once ...well not really fired ..it was basically training or work experience for me to learn about the job but they didn't realize they were getting someone with little experience because the boss was a bit slow...

It was their fault really.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,371 ✭✭✭Westernyelp

I was never fired but I should have been.

OP i'ts not them, it's you.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,371 ✭✭✭Westernyelp

Greyfox wrote: »
    Hmmm I'm getting their.. Been fired 3 times.

I would of preferred that but always got fired during the day which is poxy as your walking by people you've worked with and who you'll likely never see again. It would be nice to be telling them oh I got a warning but I really don't want to tell people I was sacked or for them to realise the boss is watching me walk quietly out of the building.

The fact is when your less than 6 months in a job it's easy to get sacked but after your probation it's hard for a company to sack you.
    I would fire you for this.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,152 ✭✭✭Rented Mule

Gave my two weeks notice at my last place of employment. The company was taking it's last swish round the ****ter (as far as I was concerned).

The woman who was recently named our Director (without any previous managerial experience) lost the head when I told her. I looked at her as one would when dealing with someone completely out of their element.

"Do you hate me that much?" she screamed.

"Two weeks" is all I replied back, and walked out of her office.

She must have sat steaming in her own juices all weekend. When I came back into the office on Monday, she called me into her office.

"You're not allowed to work remotely for the rest of the time that you are with us!"

"Why is that?", I asked.

She rambled back, "because you have tangible information in your head that I need".

"I'm not really sure that you're using that word correctly, but I'm more than willing to help you with anything that you need.". says I.

I then explained that I in fact had a dentist appointment on Friday, so while I was more than willing to drive 100 miles round trip to work, I would have to leave early to make my appointment.

She lost the plot again and stormed out of her own office.

The rest of the week got even more bizarre. She was really starting to lose it over every little thing. I could not give a flying **** about anything and just kept going about my daily grind.

It was literally one ridiculous moment after the next.

At one point, she informed my team that they would no longer be answering to me, but answering to a supervisor from another department.

I asked "why the change?".

She then informed me that she "didn't trust me". She then proceeded to scream about all of the information that she needed from me......again.

"Seven more days" is all I said in return.

Now with the exception of two people, I hired everyone on my team, The two that I didn't hire were the two that I was actually closest with. They were all having a laugh at how insane everything was becoming.

I just laughed back and said "what's she going to do when I'm not here?"

Friday rolls around and I spent the morning uploading all of my personal information on my computer to an external drive. I was starting to box all of the things that I had amassed in eight years working for this clown show.

I didn't want to wait until the following Friday to start boxing everything.

My Director walks into the office and stands in front of my desk. She began to speak as if someone had heavily medicated her in the parking lot.

"What time are you leaving for your appointment today?".

"I need to be on the road by 12:00pm to make it on time. That really may be pushing it, but I think I can make it", I replied.

"Do you have five minutes for me before you go?" in a really quasi-stoned demeanour.

"Anything for you babe" with a wink and a smile.

"Good. Please bring your laptop with you" is all I heard as she rambled out the door.

It's at this point where I realized that this silly bitch (my apologies if that offends anyone) is going to cut our time together short.

I still had several hours before I was leaving. I walked around and said my goodbyes to people in the building (letting them know that I still had one week left).

I spoke with my team members individually and they almost all sensed where this was headed.

I was outside of her office at 11:45am with my almost empty laptop. I looked around the floor and realized that there is no one within 15-20m of us. My inner-manager wondered if she was going to bring someone with her to keep an eye on me when she delivered the news.

She walked down the hall and into her office....alone.

She sat down and said "We're going to thank you for eight years of service and say goodbye. We're going to payout your remaining time, but we're going to cut ties with you today."

I replied "Really? What seems to be the problem?"

"I just can't trust you...."

It was at this point where I laughed in her face. It wasn't one of those polite chuckles. It was a maniacal laugh. One where I was going to have some fun on my way out the door.

"You don't trust me? You ****ing nut job! I want my HR Exit Interview before I leave the building! We're going to have a long talk about my last five days with the company. You can bring anyone you want with you. I'll bring my entire team!".

Have you ever caught your dog having a ****e on the floor, because he didn't see/hear you coming? He's really in a bad spot because he can't stop and he just stares at you with that look of shame, guilt and "just a moment, I'm having a ****e" look on his face?

This is exactly what I was looking at across the desk.

I got up and walked out the door and headed back to my desk.

She ran behind me and said "I'm supposed to walk you out".

At this point, I am dying laughing on the inside. She couldn't be more uncomfortable.

We walk into our area (which is in a secured room on the ground floor next to the back entrance/exit to the car park). I give the nod to everyone with a smile. She walks over to the exit to hold open the door.

Now this is late-winter in the Midwestern United States. It's below zero outside. She's standing with the door open getting blasted with wind from the outside.

I pick up a few boxes and start walking to the door.

"Thank you again for your years of service".

"This is the first of many boxes sweetheart. I've been here for eight years".

The look of rejection in her face was palpable.

I sashayed out to my car. I don't think I had ever sashayed before this in my life. I was going to do it now.

Three more trips back and forth through the doors with the wind blasting in.

"Where's HR? I want to have a long talk with them before I leave".

"Can't you just go? You're making this far more difficult than it has to be. They'll call you.", the words squirmed out of her mouth.

"No chance", I replied.

The funny thing is that HR would have handed me a packet of papers and thanked me for my time and we would have all moved on. She had never been in this situation and was not prepared to deal with it.

Don't **** with Daddy.

"Please just go'", she said

I went back to my desk and a few of my team came up and shook my hands and a few hugs. I grabbed the last of my things and looked back towards the door. She was visibly shaking from the cold.

I walked to the door and said "Good luck with everything moving forward"/.

"Yeah" she said.

"No, I'm very serious. Good luck with everything moving forward......because you're completely in over your ****ing head"

See ya!

Nearly three years later, I am working for the same person who hired me 11 years go after arriving back in the States from Ireland. He is one of my closest friends and I would do anything to make him/our team successful.

I never look back and I couldn't be happier.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,997 ✭✭✭Adyx

Is being let go due to the place closing down the same as being fired? Everywhere I've worked has closed down, but I've never been fired.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,078 ✭✭✭IAMAMORON

The answer is b , Dexys Midnight Runners.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,517 ✭✭✭Hoboo

Joined 8 weeks ago. Has started 50 threads. You know immediately it's all complete bollox

• Registered Users Posts: 3,720 ✭✭✭Greyfox

I would fire you for this.

I don't like grammer nazi's but when saying the wrong thing takes more effort than saying the right thing like what I said then they may serve a purpose

Greyfox wrote: »
    I don't like grammer nazi's but when saying the wrong thing takes more effort than saying the right thing like what I said then they may serve a purpose

Just ignore those grammar Nazis.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,178 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

You've to come up with a good lie about why you know longer work their.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,537 ✭✭✭Dr. Bre

Taking a poo on my desk as I leave

Advertisement