Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

European Masters 21st-27th September on Eurosport

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,023 ✭✭✭✭Joe_ Public

88 break from Hill to make it 2-2 at the interval. Mostly very tight frames judging from live scores, seemed to spend nearly 20 minutes on the brown in third frame. All to play for.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,269 ✭✭✭AllForIt

Dodge wrote: »
    Full game here if anyone wants to watch it

https://youtu.be/_Nsh9STEBUc

Just caught up with this today. I was very impressed by his demeanour around the table, played fairly quickly and his you could see his level of concentration couldn't be much better. That was a fantastic pink to the middle he pulled of in the final frame given how important it was for him it get it at that stage of the frame and for the occasion it was for him personally. He's defiantly got the gift, all he needs to do is work on it.

Not sure whats happening in Hill-Stevens match. Either scoreboard is on the blink or they're off the table for some reason, with Aaron leading 3-2 and at the table in 6th.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,934 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

Not sure whats happening in Hill-Stevens match. Either scoreboard is on the blink or they're off the table for some reason, with Aaron leading 3-2 and at the table in 6th.

I've got it here

3-3 Hill on a break in the 7th

http://livescores.worldsnookerdata.com/LiveScoring/Match/14156/786872

Damn scoreboard was on the blink. Updated now and 3-3.

• Advertisement

Gonna be 4-3. Great stuff.

Tho stevens only needs one snooker here so possibly premature!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,836 ✭✭✭✭Rothko

Great win by Hill. Although Stevens was very unlucky on that last blue.

That's it, home and hosed 5-3. Really great way to follow up last night.

His reward? Back on table in an hour to face Yan Bingtao for a place in qf. Tough nut to crack i fear, but should be all bonus territory for him now. Just try to relax and enjoy it.

Rothko wrote: »
    Great win by Hill. Although Stevens was very unlucky on that last blue.

Was it on eurosport?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,854 ✭✭✭zuutroy

I looked on the player and it wasn't. His next match won't be on either I guess. Lots of good ties in the L16.

• Advertisement

Hoping to get a live feed tonight. I expect one of the bookies sites will have it if not the player or wstv. Hoping anyway.

Edit: though looking at the line up i wouldn't be hopeful at all. Too many big names there, even if they show 4 matches. Not likely probably.

Was it on eurosport?

No, I found it on a streaming site.

Rothko wrote: »
    No, I found it on a streaming site.

Didn't even think there were cameras on the outer tables!

1-4 down, looking ominous now. Always a tough ask for a rookie having battled to beat Stevens and then face an even tougher opponent an hour later. No shame in defeat here at all if or when it comes.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,534 ✭✭✭Chalk McHugh

Yea not looking good for for the young lad but what a great tournament for him all the same. Not many 18 year olds can say they've beaten Ronnie in a big match. He'll always have that on his CV. After seeing him play for the first time i expect we may be talking about him for a long time to come. Seems level headed too which is very important.

Hard luck to Hill there. Yan was always going to be a tough opponent. He's done well though.

My report card on Aaron Hill for the week:

*beat reigning world champion and games greatest ever player
    *became officially the No.1 R of Ire player
    *got himself inside the world top 100
    *earned a decent few quid in the process as well as crucial ranking points
    *showed he can compete and live with the very best

Not bad for a rookie on his first week on tour, a solid A. Would give him an A+ but this is a tough school and there's still plenty to work on so hopefully knuckles down and doesnt get too far ahead of himself. Seems to have great attitude and work ethic so dont think he will.

Not bad for a rookie on his first week on tour, a solid A. Would give him an A+ but this is a tough school and there's still plenty to work on so hopefully knuckles down and doesnt get too far ahead of himself. Seems to have great attitude and work ethic so dont think he will.

How many points did he get?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,379 ✭✭✭Arthur Daley

Rough on Mark Davis to have his cue nicked from his car, giving Selby the walkover. Who nicks a bloody cue from a car.

At his age tough to adapt to a new cue.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,559 ✭✭✭refusetolose

think the commentator said 6000

• Advertisement

As said above, last 16 earned 6k which = 6,000 ranking points. Probably looking at earning 80-90,000 over the two seasons to keep his card which would be his primary target. Thats a decent start.

Rough on Mark Davis to have his cue nicked from his car, giving Selby the walkover. Who nicks a bloody cue from a car.

At his age tough to adapt to a new cue.

Presume the covid regulations meant he wasnt allowed to borrow one to compete? If you're attached to one cue as many players are, thats a real gut punch. Feel for the guy.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,699 ✭✭✭Nuts102

The big thing is the majority of young players are based in the academy playing top players each day which will only make them improve

I know Allen didnt move over but he was able to practice with a few pros at home

But great attitude so hopefully can kick on that was very impressive

I remember John Parrot had his cue stolen sometime back in the '80s and Willie Thorne tried to take advantage of this misfortune by putting a massive bet (think itwas 40,000 pounds) on Parrot to lose. Unfortunately for Willie, Parrot managed to win with the new cue and to make it worse Willie was doing live commentary on the match on BBC. A lesson that top class snooker players will not turn into bad players because of a change of cue. Pity it cost Willie Thorne a kings ransom to find out.

Nuts102 wrote: »
    The big thing is the majority of young players are based in the academy playing top players each day which will only make them improve

I know Allen didnt move over but he was able to practice with a few pros at home

But great attitude so hopefully can kick on that was very impressive

Thats true. If it was me personally, I'd definitely be thinking about moving over, but he may want to stay close to family and friends and i can understand that too. Ken moved over and fergal didnt and fergal made a very good go of it, i think, relative to his ability. Its not as if there arent good players to practice with in cork either, Ross Bulman is another I'd have good hopes for, and I'm sure he can access the Murphy/Fergal/Ken set up in Dublin whenever he wishes.

If it doesnt work out, i guess there will be time to change. He's just 18 so i hope expectations wont get too high initially. Remember, both Neil Robertson and Kyren Wilson didnt make it on their first go on tour. Snooker pro life is an endurance marathon these days...

The Champions League starts on Monday. Another tournament in Milton Keynes and split into 32 groups of 4 and played over two weeks. This one is more a marathon than a sprint but no harm in having more live snooker on.

The first heat was on last week. It's not on TV in Ireland, you'd have to sign up to Matchroom to watch it. I must say I find it very dull so I'm not too bothered.

Must say, a very strong looking qf line up today. Actually fancied we'd see a lot more surprise results this week but 7 out of 8 are top 16 including 5 top 8 which is rare enough for any tournament. Judd has only dropped 2 frames all week and Martin Gould has carried on where he left off at the crucible in August. Good bloke Gould, would love to see him go all the way here, but some stiff opposition to go through.

Must say, a very strong looking qf line up today. Actually fancied we'd see a lot more surprise results this week but 7 out of 8 are top 16 including 5 top 8 which is rare enough for any tournament. Judd has only dropped 2 frames all week and Martin Gould has carried on where he left off at the crucible in August. Good bloke Gould, would love to see him go all the way here, but some stiff opposition to go through.

Yeah I really like Gould too. They said he dropped out for a year to care for his mother who was ill. That's a sign of a good bloke whatever about anything else.

• Advertisement

Yeah I really like Gould too. They said he dropped out for a year to care for his mother who was ill. That's a sign of a good bloke whatever about anything else.

Yeah, i think that was maybe before he turned pro and he's had a fairly long battle with depression too and seems to have come out the other side now. From talking of retiring earlier this year, he's made last 16 of world champs and now in last 8 here. Win this and he'd be back on cusp of top 16. Rooting for him anyway.

Advertisement