Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

MyHeritage "Deepfaking" old photos

• 26-02-2021 12:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 753 ✭✭✭

MyHeritage have added another string to their photo enhancement bow - "deep nostalgia" - kind of deep fake animation of faces in old photos. There are some examples in the blog link there. I just tried it out on one of my old photos and it's a cross between amazing and creepy. I don't have a subscription so I suspect you're allowed 5 freebies or something like that.

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,616 Mod ✭✭✭✭pinkypinky

I'm in 2 minds about whether to try this or not. Veering towards creepy.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 399 ✭✭VirginiaB

Definitely creepy. What's next--voices from the past? I wouldn't put it past them. Remember, you heard it here first, no pun intended.

• Registered Users Posts: 275 ✭✭mindhorn

That's a hard pass from me.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,993 ✭✭✭✭Purple Mountain

It's kind of cool.
    Could you use an up to date photo of yourself first as a test run to see how realistic it looks?

To thine own self be true

• Registered Users Posts: 591 ✭✭✭Garlinge

I did a few and best bit was how they cleaned up the original photo. I tried a couple of people still with us and one was OK but another was weird, made his eyes too big and looked odd when they rolled about. There did not seem to be a limit to how many I could do and was able to download copy to laptop. A couple of photos failed as the set up could not find a face!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 652 ✭✭✭Mick Tator

I suppose if people are prepared to 'cut and paste' (with wild abandon) whole chunks of trees from the internet, why not go the whole hog and help them to fake photos also? It's not genealogy, it's for facilitating a sales target. If MyHeritage was serious about getting ahead in genealogy it would develop smarter algorithms for the search function (or build its poor newspaper dbase) instead of pandering to those who will drive its bottom line. That's not going to bring me back to MyHeritage.

• Registered Users Posts: 894 ✭✭✭Jellybaby_1

I agree, its a bit weird. I think if I used my deceased parents' photos it would make me weep! Not for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 591 ✭✭✭Garlinge

I have use of MyHeritage on behalf of someone else. I tried out the tool with about 10 pictures only one of interest to the person I was helping. The website automatically kept of a copy of the photos so I guess it is a way they can add to their resources. I was able to go and delete all later.

Advertisement