Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Christmas 2020 purchases

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,865 ✭✭✭TRS30

Jude13 wrote: »
    Yeah the kids get pressies, again we have a small family so it is easier. Though my OH's brothers are growing up so they will have their only family's in the future. The only issue I have at the moment is what lego to get them, everyone is lego mad.

Is the biggest request in our household this year for both birthdays and Christmas. That's one of the great things about Lego, you can fire trucks to princess castles!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,033 ✭✭✭✭DvB

Lego is big in our house too, hence a fortune being spent on it yet again this Christmas. If the yound lad gets any cash or vouchers for smyths over christmas or birthdays that inevitably gets spent on Lego too (or V-Bucks!)
    "I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year" - Charles Dickens

• Registered Users Posts: 2,505 ✭✭✭tscul32

My family only do kids presents, except for my youngest brother and partner as they've no kids but buy for ours, so we always get them something. My lads' favourite pressies last year were Amazon vouchers from my brother. As the kids are all hitting teen and pre teen it's getting harder. Lego was the only present for years. And my 3 all have birthdays and Christmas within a 6 week stretch. So I've to start asking soon (only one believer left).

• Registered Users Posts: 3,789 ✭✭✭Jude13

Yeah the preteen/teen age is a pain. My eldest is in this bracket and I havent a clue this year. I get shrugged shoulders when I ask. I am sure it will be some type of make up...

Yeah the preteen/teen age is a pain. My eldest is in this bracket and I havent a clue this year. I get shrugged shoulders when I ask. I am sure it will be some type of make up...

Not there yet, however dread it already for lots of reasons!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 321 ✭✭TheBlackPill

DvB wrote: »
    Lego is big in our house too, hence a fortune being spent on it yet again this Christmas. If the yound lad gets any cash or vouchers for smyths over christmas or birthdays that inevitably gets spent on Lego too (or V-Bucks!)
    Much cheaper to buy the toys in august/sept

Really? wasnt aware of that TBH. Another bonus so!
    "I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year" - Charles Dickens

Waiting to see if Symths do their 20% off that they do most years. Have to watch prices thought as they have been known to put them up before the 'sale' :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,505 ✭✭✭tscul32

My boys aren't really into makeup, I think it's probably easier to buy for teen girls than boys, most like fashion, make up, shopping. Having said that most lads like fashion and football whereas I have computer nerds happily dressed from Penneys. 12 year old has asked for an office chair for his desk instead of the hard plastic one he has. That'll probably be his birthday present. 14 year old will probably ask for computer bits, built his own PC over the summer after saving for the last 2 years. But he still has a few bits on his wishlist. 8 year old will probably still pick Lego. But as I said they all have a birthday as well as Christmas. This time of year is exhausting. Thank God we don't do our own siblings birthdays/Christmas too as all 4 are between Dec and first week of Jan. I obviously inherited my mother's bad planning!

WFH today & my order of books for the young lad has just arrived from Amazon, so thats his santa shop done. We'll pick up a few small bits along the way for the stockings but other than that he's done, one thing left for our little lady and that'll be both of them sorted. With no hositng duties this year either we might actually get away with this year not being too bad on the spending side either.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 6,161 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sheep Shagger

Was reading that Lego are getting rid of the plastic bags that the bits come in and replacing them with paper ones. I can't remember the exact amount however they use some crazy amount of plastic each year.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,136 ✭✭✭Lord Spence

Well sort of a purchase but the Mrs prezzie to me for Christmas this year is nearly sorted, managed to snag a playstation 5 pre order last night :D

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 27,501 Mod ✭✭✭✭Posy

Had a €100 Arnotts voucher, so went in today and bought a couple of beauty gifts, then headed to Boots and Superdrug, and spent about €100 on stocking fillers and bits and pieces.

Just 2 more main presents to buy, and a one for all voucher to get. I'm hoping to be pretty much finished by the start of October, so I can look forward to the Christmas without too much stress!

No where near as organised as some other however have all the kids main presents agreed, so just need to order/ go get them now.

Only one up in the air a bit is eldest's main present as might have to get her a new bike. She got one last year from Santa however has grown so much that already look like it might be too small by Christmas!

An old reliable for a stocking filler and there's 25% off Max Benjamin today (part of storewide sale)

https://www.carraigdonn.com/collections/max-benjamin?page=3

• Registered Users Posts: 33 stephmcd

TRS30 wrote: »
    Waiting to see if Symths do their 20% off that they do most years. Have to watch prices thought as they have been known to put them up before the 'sale' :mad:

Only read there the other day that they aren't doing it this year in order to keep the crowds away. I could be wrong but I know I saw it somewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,136 ✭✭✭Lord Spence

stephmcd wrote: »
    Only read there the other day that they aren't doing it this year in order to keep the crowds away. I could be wrong but I know I saw it somewhere.

I hope they don't start blaming crowds like were some sort of uncontrollable animals, If they don't want to offer 20% off then fair enough I think everyone understands most business need all the help they can get this year.

That's a bit of a cop out if true. They offer click and collect and most stores are pretty big and open long hours so crowds can be avoided!

I hope they don't start blaming crowds like were some sort of uncontrollable animals, If they don't want to offer 20% off then fair enough I think everyone understands most business need all the help they can get this year.

Lower than normal stock levels cold be a factor too

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,647 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

Yeah I read the same. That they couldn't guarantee socially distancing with larger crowds.
    Lower than normal stock levels cold be a factor too

Don't think that's an issue at all, did you know most retailers stockpilled months ago for the event for a hard brexit, there is barely a warehouse left in ireland to be gotten, all the big names have months of stock, stock piled away for crisis like hard Brexit or COVID.

Loughc wrote: »

Don't think that's an issue at all, did you know most retailers stockpilled months ago for the event for a hard brexit, there is barely a warehouse left in ireland to be gotten, all the big names have months of stock, stock piled away for crisis like hard Brexit or COVID.

That I can confirm. Warehousing has become a real problem in Ireland in the last 6 months. A lot of our clients are having to pay huge rates for warehousing a lot further away than they'd normally have as nothing along the east coast between Dundalk & wicklow is available.

Better half's main present bought, should be here during the week :)

Lots of things out of stock on Symths and lots of places out of stock of girls bikes :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,971 ✭✭✭SarahLil

Better half's main present bought, should be here during the week :)

Lots of things out of stock on Symths and lots of places out of stock of girls bikes :eek:

Yes I have heard that about bikes, a neighbour was picking a pick up for her little girl as a communion present, she got sorted somewhere in Liffey Valley in the end

SarahLil wrote: »
    Yes I have heard that about bikes, a neighbour was picking a pick up for her little girl as a communion present, she got sorted somewhere in Liffey Valley in the end

If we end up going for a bike will be getting in the next few weeks as don't want to be panicking trying to find one late Nov!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,971 ✭✭✭SarahLil

If we end up going for a bike will be getting in the next few weeks as don't want to be panicking trying to find one late Nov!

If you need the name let me know I can ask :)
    My boss is big into cycling and adults bikes are order now for Christmas

• Registered Users Posts: 3,215 ✭✭✭jellybear

Bought my mam's present at the weekend, a Willow tree Grandmother figurine, and I'll get some of her favourite chocolates too :)

Also sorted my brother's present for my sister...I know what she likes so it's easier for everyone!!:D

Now have my brother, our nephew, my bestie, neighbours and our little man left to buy for :)

My husband and I are getting to the stage of wondering if we'll even bother with presents. It will be our 15th Christmas together so between that and birthdays we just don't have anything we actually need. Thinking of maybe putting money together and buying a new Eoin O Connor print...I have my eye on this one...

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,466 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

My husband and I used to tell each other to buy x big present for ourselves from each other which was a bit pointless. Now there’s a budget of around €50 for a small “ under the tree “ gift I need to sit down and do an inventory of what I have actually bought . The Joules site has good offers and the brand aware equestrian kids like their stuff .

My husband and I used to tell each other to buy x big present for ourselves from each other which was a bit pointless. Now there’s a budget of around €50 for a small “ under the tree “ gift I need to sit down and do an inventory of what I have actually bought . The Joules site has good offers and the brand aware equestrian kids like their stuff .

We've been saying that for the last few years, spend the money on the kids etc however every year my wife finds something she 'really' wants :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,215 ✭✭✭jellybear

Last year we did a €50 limit hamper. It was actually good fun and we just got about 5 little gifts and it was nice to see the thought he'd put into it :)

Advertisement