Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Lessons you learned the hard way?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 234 ✭✭Shady Grady

Never pee on an electric fence, no matter how much money is at stake.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,333 ✭✭✭✭cj maxx

Never buy a silver Crest (lidl) tool as they're worthless shyte as are Rolson tools

• Registered Users Posts: 5,769 ✭✭✭Princess Calla

Expectation and reality are often worlds apart!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭blinding

Women really want Superman and thats Ok if you are Superman !

• Registered Users Posts: 30,150 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

Don't eat yellow snow!

• Advertisement

blinding wrote: »
    Women really want Superman and thats Ok if you are Superman !

But if you are superman, after she gets you, she'll seek to change you, and if she does manage to change you, she'll be unhappy that you changed.

And while she might be secretly happy that you resisted being changed, she'll repeatedly tell you that you don't love her enough to change in order to make her happy. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 13,505 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

never ever work for a female

they can reach for the sexist card at will and the owner of the company will also be terrified of having the same card played so wont do anything no matter what kind of abuse of power is taking place .

truly evil people are extremely rare but should you be unfortunate enough to have one enter your life , you cannot beat them without becoming evil yourself so get out of there quick

• Registered Users Posts: 13,505 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

bitofabind wrote: »
    Your ego will stand in your way about 80% of the time. If you can overcome or ignore your ego, you can learn, see and become so much more valuable and interesting as a human. You can grow as a person. When your ego takes over, you're just reacting. The growing and learning part takes a backseat.

Be curious and learn to be comfortable with not having answers.

I work in Sales, and I get so much further with people by answering questions with "I don't know, actually. That's a really good question. Can you tell me more about what that means to you?" than schooling them on what I assume to know about their industry or the solution I'm selling.

ego is an amazing asset , its all that allows people of average ability to believe they are entitled to become something better

• Registered Users Posts: 8,304 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

Most **** ups can be prevented through proper communication.

• Registered Users Posts: 71,799 ✭✭✭✭Ted_YNWA

Never underestimate the stupidity of some people.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,607 ✭✭✭cryptocurrency

FG were going to be more free market

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭blinding

Ted_YNWA wrote: »
    Never underestimate the stupidity of some people.
    Some yank once said ;

“ Nobody ever made their fortune by overestimating the intelligence of the general population "

• Registered Users Posts: 15,176 ✭✭✭✭ILoveYourVibes

2pacshakur wrote: »
    Stop wasting your time on Internet forums talking to strangers and do something productive.
    OMG they banned him!

blinding wrote: »
    Some yank once said ;

“ Nobody ever made their fortune by overestimating the intelligence of the general population "

That's only in groups though ..in individuals people tend to underestimate the intelligence of people one on one.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,155 ✭✭✭Quantum Erasure

OMG they banned him!

They Hated Him, for He Spoke the Truth

They Hated Him, for He Spoke the Truth

I have learnt a lot online though double edged sword.

Its a balance.

Quitting things ..is sometimes the best thing you can do.

I quit school at 16 ....one of the best things i ever did.

I went back after a year ...and then went to college.

But if i hadn't quit school ..i don't think i would have ever went back to college. Seeing the world out of the way people at school framed me and made me feel gave me a lot of confidence that i needed in myself.

I could have finished school by staying ..i don't think i would have wanted anything to do with education after though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,312 ✭✭✭darlett

If 'Those who can do, and those who can't teach', then its far better paid and respected to just bloody do. Spent years getting additional qualifications and experience to become a teacher, only to find myself so poorly paid and in a very stressful environment. The big well begrudged holidays were no compensation, they are very well needed. Returned to my old profession and find myself paid twice as much(without been minted either), less stressed, and over looked as a target of disrespect from members of the public-so much negativity from those who had a bad experience in school, as such my 4 weeks feels plenty of time off!
    To those who dream of teaching, I say dream again. Seriously, dont do it if you want to contribute with any significance to a family and mortgage later. To those NQT LPT newly qualified teachers lower paid teachers...I wish you the best of luck in becoming good at a very challenging much maligned underpaid over qualified profession.

On the other hand, it's made me so many more times more competent and able to talk to a group...which doesn't hurt as I try to make my way in the corporate workplace.

darlett wrote: »
    If 'Those who can do, and those who can't teach', then its far better paid and respected to just bloody do. Spent years getting additional qualifications and experience to become a teacher, only to find myself so poorly paid and in a very stressful environment. The big well begrudged holidays were no compensation, they are very well needed. Returned to my old profession and find myself paid twice as much(without been minted either), less stressed, and over looked as a target of disrespect from members of the public-so much negativity from those who had a bad experience in school, as such my 4 weeks feels plenty of time off!
    To those who dream of teaching, I say dream again. Seriously, dont do it if you want to contribute with any significance to a family and mortgage later. To those NQT LPT newly qualified teachers lower paid teachers...I wish you the best of luck in becoming good at a very challenging much maligned underpaid over qualified profession.

On the other hand, it's made me so many more times more competent and able to talk to a group...which doesn't hurt as I try to make my way in the corporate workplace.

I am on a course ....the students who can do ..are not the ones getting the grades ..whereas i can get the grades ..but not sure i will be able to 'DO' if i am being honest.

Not sure if i ever will. I am self aware though.

Its true though. Qualifications don't always mean anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,783 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

2pacshakur wrote: »

Cut toxic people out of your life or minimize contact.

1000% this...^^^

Never ‘put up’ with people. People when you are around them or in your life through any means who cause you difficulty or unhappiness, make you sad....be it work colleagues, family members whoever.... DELETE.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 593 ✭✭✭triona1

No point in having a handsome man when you have to keep looking over your shoulder.
    And beauty doesn't make the pot boil.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,460 ✭✭✭con___manx1

cjmc wrote: »
    Ultimately, trust NO ONE.
    A trusting person is often mistaken for a fool, and everyone is out for themselves

I learned from a young age to watch out for sly kiniving ****s. I can spot them a mile away now from life experience.

What is meant for you will not pass you by.

Don't chase people or ignore bad behavior.

Just because a person is good to someone else or with someone else doesn't mean they will be or are good for you.

If people don't like you its their loss.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 248 ✭✭Berserker5

Take a long view on difficulties - don't overly focus on the present

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,007 ✭✭✭s7ryf3925pivug

When people tell me NOT to do something, I become determined to do it, even if it is in fact a bad idea. Basically my brain switches to 'fuck you' mode, and out of thinking mode.

To abstract an example:

Me: I think I might jump off this cliff...
    My wife: No! I absolutely forbid it!
    Me: Oh yeah!? WAAAAAAAAaaaaaaaaaaa....

love at first sight doesnt exist

people see each other and if it works out they remember it that way in retrospect

love ...attraction are not enough

love at first sight doesnt exist

I disagree. While there is a very fine line between "lust at first sight" and "love at first sight", it's essentially the same thing for males. It doesn't mean it'll work out though, or that the feeling will be mutual.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,783 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Berserker5 wrote: »
    Take a long view on difficulties - don't overly focus on the present

That’s ok, but you have to know when the cutoff point is... otherwise ‘difficulties’ become acceptable as ‘just part of life’. That should never be the case....

Work - pissed off with your colleagues, one day drags, the next you are crawling out on your knees, that promised pay rise hasn’t materialized...fûck ‘loyalty’ be loyal to yourself, leave and start again, leave the misery zone.

Relationship - oh is nagging you to get a better job, want bigger house etc but it doing SFA to help enable the goals... they are suggesting YOU do more OT as ‘Vegas baby’ has been a ‘dream too’... fûck them, get rid..

Change... whatever in your life that is causing you stress, unhappiness, misery, whatever...one shot at this..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,666 ✭✭✭mondeo

Getting back with a girl who cheated on me, that was a mistake, she did the same thing again 3 months later. I left the new girl I was with who was good to me for this whore... Going back years ago now. Since met and married a diamond so it's all good.

Advertisement