Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Government backs legislation on ticket touting

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,475 ✭✭✭flasher0030

Speaking as a tout this is shít news. Depends how they implement it though, and whether there are workarounds.
    Fifa banned resales for the World Cup, but Viagogo went ahead with resale for it regardless.

Ah. I remember you. You tried to play all innocent for some gig years ago, condemning those who touted. And then it turned out it was you who was doing the touting. No remorse at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,373 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Fifa banned resales for the World Cup, but Viagogo went ahead with resale for it regardless.
    Then they probably could have done what ed sheeran did, track these tickets on viagogo and refuse people entry who bought them, giving viagogo a very bad name and costing them a lot in admin.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,355 ✭✭✭cruhoortwunk

Ah. I remember you. You tried to play all innocent for some gig years ago, condemning those who touted. And then it turned out it was you who was doing the touting. No remorse at all.

Touting at source from the primary sellers like ticketmaster is far worse than the armchair tout.
    That's what I was condemning

rubadub wrote: »
    Then they probably could have done what ed sheeran did, track these tickets on viagogo and refuse people entry who bought them, giving viagogo a very bad name and costing them a lot in admin.

They would need the buyer to tell them the tickets came from viagogo. I doubt any buyer would do that and risk his tickets

• Registered Users Posts: 32,373 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

They would need the buyer to tell them the tickets came from viagogo. I doubt any buyer would do that and risk his tickets
    Buyers of the ed sheeran tickets were not asked, they detected it somehow, dunno if they could monitor or automatically record tickets on viagogo. They were majorly stung by the sounds of it.

https://www.theguardian.com/music/2018/may/25/fans-left-with-invalid-tickets-in-ed-sheeran-anti-tout-scheme-viagogo

• Advertisement

Touting at source from the primary sellers like ticketmaster is far worse than the armchair tout.
    That's what I was condemning

Please don't take the moral high-ground. It's very easy to access those posts from last year. You sold an Ed Sheeran ticket for over €300 on Seatwave. But now you're saying that the likes of ticketmaster and Seatwave are the problem.
    I'd be interested in your opinion:-
    1. Do you view it as an opportunity for you to make a quick buck, or
    2. Or do you view it as exploitation of a certain mass of people i.e. those that genuinely want to go to a gig

Please don't take the moral high-ground. It's very easy to access those posts from last year. You sold an Ed Sheeran ticket for over €300 on Seatwave. But now you're saying that the likes of ticketmaster and Seatwave are the problem.
    I'd be interested in your opinion:-
    1. Do you view it as an opportunity for you to make a quick buck, or
    2. Or do you view it as exploitation of a certain mass of people i.e. those that genuinely want to go to a gig

It was Eddie Vedder.

I see it as an opportunity for a quick buck, but if people are willing to pay these kind of prices (which I wouldn't pay myself), then it's supply and demand. Market decides the price. I often made losses on gigs when they added extra dates after one date sold out. It's the risk I take.

I stand by the point that TM touting (keeping large volumes of tickets away from general sale and putting them straight on their own resale site) is far worse than individuals buying up 4 tickets and reselling.

It was Eddie Vedder.

I see it as an opportunity for a quick buck, but if people are willing to pay these kind of prices (which I wouldn't pay myself), then it's supply and demand. Market decides the price. I often made losses on gigs when they added extra dates after one date sold out. It's the risk I take.

I stand by the point that TM touting (keeping large volumes of tickets away from general sale and putting them straight on their own resale site) is far worse than individuals buying up 4 tickets and reselling.

Edit - I meant Eddie Vedder.
    I hope the Revenue Commissioners are not listening in. I'm sure they would like to know about your little venture, which you consider falls into the general principles of economics.
    The general supply/demand curve relates to sales/purchases on an open trades/services market. That principle does not apply to re-selling/black market activity being an external force.
    E.g. if 15,000 radiohead fans were looking for tickets for a gig in a 10,000 capacity venue, then that’s obviously a genuine case, and getting a ticket can be a lottery. But if you have a case where, again, the capacity is 10,000, and you have 10,000 radiohead fans subscribing for tickets, along with 2,000 touts looking to exploit, then that’s not a genuine case of supply v demand.

In any case, your take on things is not really relevant. You’ve already showed your hypocrisy in last years posts – trying to claim outcry at touts on Seatwave, whilst doing the very same thing yourself. When you did that, how did you not think that someone would see that you had open offers on show? Are you extremely naïve? Coming on here spouting about being a tout, and seemingly proud of it would lend itself towards that.

Edit - I meant Eddie Vedder.
    I hope the Revenue Commissioners are not listening in. I'm sure they would like to know about your little venture, which you consider falls into the general principles of economics.
    The general supply/demand curve relates to sales/purchases on an open trades/services market. That principle does not apply to re-selling/black market activity being an external force.
    E.g. if 15,000 radiohead fans were looking for tickets for a gig in a 10,000 capacity venue, then that’s obviously a genuine case, and getting a ticket can be a lottery. But if you have a case where, again, the capacity is 10,000, and you have 10,000 radiohead fans subscribing for tickets, along with 2,000 touts looking to exploit, then that’s not a genuine case of supply v demand.

In any case, your take on things is not really relevant. You’ve already showed your hypocrisy in last years posts – trying to claim outcry at touts on Seatwave, whilst doing the very same thing yourself. When you did that, how did you not think that someone would see that you had open offers on show? Are you extremely naïve? Coming on here spouting about being a tout, and seemingly proud of it would lend itself towards that.
    It all goes through the revenue, there's nothing illegal about it.
    Black market is illegal activity, this is not in any way illegal (yet)
    You sound very bitter, were you the one that bought my Eddie Vedder tickets? How was the show?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,540 ✭✭✭Zardoz

Might be true, but the largest promoter in Ireland (MCD), is in with Ticketmaster/Live Nation in a big, big way.
    They jointly own Festival Republic. And Denis Desmond of MCD is chairman of Live Nation UK and Ireland.

Livenation/Ticketmaster have too much control ,they have become a behemoth.

https://dancingastronaut.com/2018/04/us-department-justice-pins-live-nation-potential-monopoly/
    https://newrepublic.com/article/148419/ticket-monopoly-worse-ever-thanks-obama

They are making cocaine money according to the CEO ,Rapino .
    He makes no secret of how his goal is to extract as much money as possible from the fans.
    https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/man-behind-worlds-biggest-ticket-8169150
    http://www.completemusicupdate.com/article/emails-in-songkick-case-see-live-nation-dissing-team-adele/

Denis Desmond owns MCD ,the Olympia and the Gaeity ,he is Chairman of Livenation Uk who own the 3arena and manage the Bord Gais theatre.
    Livenation manage the Olympia and the Gaeity.

Along with Aiken its basically a cartel in this country.

Is it any wonder ticket prices are so high in Ireland compared with the UK and Europe ?

The Insurance and transport red herrings dont add up ,before someone says they do.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,993 ✭✭✭Mongfinder General

It all goes through the revenue, there's nothing illegal about it.
    Black market is illegal activity, this is not in any way illegal (yet)
    You sound very bitter, were you the one that bought my Eddie Vedder tickets? How was the show?

Eacactly hiw does it all go through the revenue?

Eacactly hiw does it all go through the revenue?

I’m sure he’s well aware that Revenue now trawl through the likes of Facebook, Twitter, forums like askaboutmoney, boards etc. looking for any tax non-compliance.
    They also get their information from anonymous tip-offs. Just saying.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,968 ✭✭✭TheIrishGrover

Look, I think we can all agree that touts are scum: From corporate to armchair. There really is no difference. We know that and they know that. No matter what they tell themselves. Just because the person isn't doing anything illegal doesn't mean they are not scum. Whenever something comes up I buy a couple more than I need if at all possible purely to keep them out of the grubby the paws of touts. I have NEVER sold a ticket above what I paid apart from maybe rounding up a few cents to the nearest Euro. And I never will.

But let's be realistic: This will change nothing. All that will happen is that these scum will charge face value for the ticket and then lash on another 100 euro for handling and postage etc.

About the only light was when Taylor swift and The Stones had such trouble selling their tickets. Hopefully the touts got a bit of a financial beating.

I am not going to reply/debate/apologise for my use of the term scum

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,402 ✭✭✭nxbyveromdwjpg

rubadub wrote: »
    Buyers of the ed sheeran tickets were not asked, they detected it somehow, dunno if they could monitor or automatically record tickets on viagogo. They were majorly stung by the sounds of it.

https://www.theguardian.com/music/2018/may/25/fans-left-with-invalid-tickets-in-ed-sheeran-anti-tout-scheme-viagogo

I imagine the sellers had photos of the ticket incl. barcode on Viagogo. TM saw, cancelled the tickets. Tout sold them on anyway.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,521 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

Look, I think we can all agree that touts are scum: From corporate to armchair. There really is no difference. We know that and they know that. No matter what they tell themselves. Just because the person isn't doing anything illegal doesn't mean they are not scum. Whenever something comes up I buy a couple more than I need if at all possible purely to keep them out of the grubby the paws of touts. I have NEVER sold a ticket above what I paid apart from maybe rounding up a few cents to the nearest Euro. And I never will.

So you intentionally buy more tickets than you need, therefore preventing genuine fans the opportunity to buy them in the primary market? Pretty "scummy" in my book.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,142 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

Saw this on reddit this morning https://www.cbc.ca/news/business/ticketmaster-resellers-lawsuits-1.4834668
    The effort by Hagens Berman follows a CBC News/Toronto Star investigation that found Ticketmaster representatives at a Las Vegas convention were recruiting professional scalpers to use a web-based sales tool called TradeDesk to resell millions of dollars in tickets.

Company reps at the convention told undercover reporters posing as ticket brokers that their division turns a blind eye to scalpers who use hundreds of Ticketmaster online accounts to buy up seats — violating Ticketmaster's ticket-buying limits.

A class action lawsuit has been started against them in Canada and there'll likely be one in the US as well. Do people think this could be happening over here? Id be amazed if it isn't.

• Registered Users Posts: 238 ✭✭wacotaco

• Registered Users Posts: 10,616 ✭✭✭✭okidoki987

The most recent accounts for Viagogo’s Irish operation show it made a profit of €233,000 during 2017, up from €119,000 the previous year.

I'd say that is way under stated considering how many tickets are on the site for each concert and considering they take a fee from both sellers and buyers.
    As part of a submission to the Department of Transport, Tourism and Sport last year, Viagogo said that 75% of tickets on its site sell for a price above the face value and that 90% of its users sell fewer than 10 tickets annually.

Again suspect figures.
    75% :confused: must be closer to 95% as I've only heard or seen tickets selling for under face once.
    Also even is it was 75%, Viagogo still take a cut (twice) from all those sales.

90% sell fewer than 10 tickets?

So who is selling all their tickets then?

• Registered Users Posts: 940 ✭✭✭phunkadelic

Bit of creative accounting going on I'd say. They are a Swiss company, and it's very easy to keep profits private in Switzerland. I would say they are funneling most of their profits via the Swiss arm.

Similar to how Google and facebook put their revenue through Ireland to get the low corp tax rate.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,540 ✭✭✭Zardoz

I dont think this bill will be going through anytime soon with this latest scandal about Mr Soapbox Noel Rock.
    What an absolute hypocrite .

https://www.independent.ie/sport/soccer/international-soccer/delaney-critic-noel-rock-texted-fai-boss-in-bid-to-get-tickets-38000246.html

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 363 ✭✭Whipping Boy

I thought this was already in!

So from a legal standpoint basically nothing has changed and sites like Viagogo are still kosher, for now?

• Registered Users Posts: 16 pinkpencil

• Closed Accounts Posts: 117 ✭✭zf0wqv9oemuasj

Madness really that a stop isn’t put to these sites.

Advertisement