Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Any advise for a man (thinking about) starting yoga.

Options
  • 06-10-2010 11:13pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 266 ✭✭

Just wondering if you guys have any advise for me?

Lots of quick questions
    What should I wear? t-shirt and long shorts ok?
    Can you do yoga in socks? I'm kind of embarressed by my feet :o.
    What type of yoga should a man do? Are they're poses a man can't do?
    Is there music in yoga and is it really cheesy?
    What do people do when they can't do a pose?
    Do men stick out like sore thumbs in yoga classes? should I try and hide down the back?
    How much balance do you need? I have this horrible picture of me falling over every 5 mins.

Any other advise welcome

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,616 Mod ✭✭✭✭pinkypinky

That's fine but I would avoid anything too baggy - when you bend down it'll irritate you
    Can you do yoga in socks? I'm kind of embarressed by my feet .
    You could but it's not advised. Your feet have a better natural grip
    There's no particular yoga for men. It's universal
    Depends on the teacher
    I just try and stop if I can't
    Do men stick out like sore thumbs in yoga classes? should I try and hide down the back? There are few men but hiding is a bit ridiculous. No one will be thinking "look at that guy trying to do yoga"
    How much balance do you need? I have this horrible picture of me falling over every 5 mins.
    That's an impossible question to answer - it'd depend on many balancing poses the teacher does. It's just not competitive.

You're over-thinking it all. Just go along to a class and see what you think.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Closed Accounts Posts: 63 ✭✭ivy tilsley

Hey Mr Marri:

Yep, guys in classes I've been to wear their football training gear. You'll soon find your preference.

Can you do yoga in socks? I'm kind of embarressed by my feet.
    Yes, people do. It's easier not to, as Pinkypinky pointed out, but no one would hold it against you. Also no one will care about your feet.

Any kind you like, as Pinkypinky says. I always tell people to start with hatha, because I love it. No harm in trying a few types.

In my experience it's non-interruptive instrumental music, often cheesy :)

Make sure you don't try to force a pose. Either drop into child's pose (see 'fave poses' thread), and/or let the instructor know. There are plenty of poses people can't do and some they find easy. There's no shame in it.

Do men stick out like sore thumbs in yoga classes? should I try and hide down the back?
    Not at all. I see more men in yoga classes lately. Personally, I love the sight of a guy doing warrior pose.

You won't always do balance poses in class, but your balance will improve. I started because of a bad knee which meant I had horrible balance, and it has improved. Often the instructor will encourage newer students to do balance poses near the wall if they need support. People wobble all the time.

I hope that's helpful. In my experience yoga isn't competitive and where some people are brilliant at one type of pose, they might struggle with another type for all kinds of reasons.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 266 ✭✭Mr Marri

Hiya, thank you for your replies.....Not sure what I was worrying about, it's not like you guys are monsters :).....Will work up the nerve over the weekend and jump in the deep end next week.

Thanks again

I can relate. Some yoga classes are intimidating because people look very serious and you feel like the new kid in school.

I hope it goes well for you!

• Registered Users Posts: 810 ✭✭✭augustus gloop

well OP did ya go, kinda interested myself... and ladies could someone differenciate between yoga and pilates or are they much the same, TY

• Advertisement

well OP did ya go, kinda interested myself... and ladies could someone differenciate between yoga and pilates or are they much the same, TY

I have the number saved in my phone, does that count?

I think I need to procrastinate some more :o.

• Registered Users Posts: 981 ✭✭✭flikflak

Go for it!

There are usually 2 regular men in our class and a new one came along today. Sometimes its just me and the 2 lads.

The above advice on the questions you have asked are spot on. Yoga is all about you. You go as far as you want - its not a competition with anyone. You can be in the beginner poses for a long time but its all good as everyone is built differently and find different things easier than others.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭Hermione*

I thought I'd already replied to this thread but it appears not :o
    There's been some great advice already, though!

I can understand that you'd feel self conscious at first but trust me, everybody in a yoga class should be too focused on their own practice to be paying much attention to you!

I would really recommend that you voice some of those queries when you contact a studio for bookings. I'd also recommend that you try a few different styles of yoga to find the one that best suits you.

Happy bending! :D

Ok, signed up for a class tomorrow :). Will be back with a full report once I'm done. (you'd swear i was going to the dentist).

• Registered Users Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭Hermione*

Mr Marri wrote: »
    Ok, signed up for a class tomorrow :). Will be back with a full report once I'm done. (you'd swear i was going to the dentist).
    Yea! Delighted to hear that :D

• Advertisement

It actually wasn't all that bad :D.

It's a really small class, which is great and not nearly as terrifying.

Decided to go for hot yoga and found it really good, not as hard as I expected. But I have no hamstrings worth talking about. You do sweat buckets and then some....

• Registered Users Posts: 981 ✭✭✭flikflak

^ great! Glad you enjoyed it.

flikflak wrote: »
    ^ great! Glad you enjoyed it.

Yes, I'm really glad i went too!

Did I mentions how stiff and sore i was for about 3 days afterwards :eek:.
    I must be getting old :o.

Good on you. The soreness goes after a bit.

So, can I ask, was the class what you were expecting? Or was it better/worse? Any surprises? And how did you find downward-facing dog?

Good on you. The soreness goes after a bit.

So, can I ask, was the class what you were expecting? Or was it better/worse? Any surprises? And how did you find downward-facing dog?

I was definitely better than I expected. I'm looking forward to going back this week.

I was a little suprised at how fast paced it was, I had expected to be bored.

Downward facing dog was ok as I could bend our knees, otherwise I'd have been fecked.

According to my instructor it's not about having stretchy limbs but rather about giving your organs a squish. (this was news to me)

it's not about having stretchy limbs but rather about giving your organs a squish.

Vivid, and well said :)

My instructor says something similar about not having to look perfect. As long as you can feel the poses and stretches, they're working for you. I try to remember that when someone next to me looks all sleek and agile and I look like Lurch from the Adams Family.

Different instructor this week........Blood heck :eek::eek:.......I'm going to be off work for a week after this!

Vivid, and well said :)

My instructor says something similar about not having to look perfect. As long as you can feel the poses and stretches, they're working for you. I try to remember that when someone next to me looks all sleek and agile and I look like Lurch from the Adams Family.

Don't worry your always be more sleek and agile that the blokes in the class. I feel like a cross between a bull in a china shop and a new born foley with wobbly knees stand on a frozzen lake!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,757 ✭✭✭bohsboy

I did an 8 class course of Yoga about two years ago. I highly recommend it for anyone, completely different than spending an hour in the gym but I felt about two inches taller, much calmer and slept like a baby after every class.

I was the only male in the class but never a word passed or any uncomfortable moments!

I must get the mat out again and start doing it again.

Advertisement