Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Android Forum FAQ

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 486 ✭✭mooman

I think he means the weather widget not the clock/weather one

• Registered Users Posts: 3,228 ✭✭✭Breezer

mooman wrote: »
    I think he means the weather widget not the clock/weather one
    Me? I mean the clock/weather one.
    plazzTT wrote: »
    How can I change it from "Current Location"?
    Remove it, add it again, and when adding it choose Dublin (or whatever) as your city.

Breezer wrote: »
    Me? I mean the clock/weather one.

Remove it, add it again, and when adding it choose Dublin (or whatever) as your city.

Ahhh, good thinking. Seems so obvious now you've said it:D

• Registered Users Posts: 583 ✭✭✭neonman

Mr E wrote: »
    New version of Vanillain due tonight or tomorrow (Android 2.1 with no HTC Sense).

Hi Mr E, as of last night I rooted my Hero and loaded the Vanillain ROM onto my phone. Working good so far. Question for you I have the Sycn symbol showing all the time in the task bar at the top. Do you know why this is if not no worries?

Just worried it will eat away at my battery life.

Thanks,
    Neon

• Registered Users Posts: 55,444 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

If your contacts/calendar are stored in google, it can take a while to sync them to your phone (depending on how much there is to sync). Whenever I wipe my phone, it takes 10-15 minutes to sync. Try restarting your phone and see if that fixes the issue for you. Have you setup google talk and gmail?

• Advertisement

If your contacts/calendar are stored in google, it can take a while to sync them to your phone (depending on how much there is to sync). Whenever I wipe my phone, it takes 10-15 minutes to sync. Try restarting your phone and see if that fixes the issue for you. Have you setup google talk and gmail?

Yep I've got everything sync'd now but the symbol still remains, restarted etc. Have google account setup and google talk.

I also tried to reply to a tweet via peep and it is saying my tweet is to long but its within the 140 limit by a long shot.

How are you finding the ROM or are you using a different one ?

I'm on Villain 5.02 and its working really well.
    I will switch to the new Vanillain whenever it appears (it was due last night).

Just did a quick google on your issue, and found this.
    I did have the sync icon on permanently, logging out of Facebook removed it.

Apparently facebook takes a loooooong time to sync up.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,800 ✭✭✭voxpop

I'm on Villain 5.02 and its working really well.

What do you make of the Eclair changes ? Anything to blow your mind or just nicer ? Im still on one of the older modaco roms (3.0) - which is pretty solid bar one incident where the phone took on a mind of its own and needed restarting.

Nothing mindblowing to be honest. Villain 5 is lightning fast though.... the fastest ROM I've ever used (and I've been chopping and changing regularly for the last 6 months)

The only issue with Villain is a 3-5 second delay for caller ID to appear on screen when a call is incoming. Not a big deal, but a bit annoying.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,963 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

squared wrote: »
    All meteor customers having problems with the hero, have a look at this:
    http://www.petitiononline.com/hd793jfs/petition.html

Five times a day you say............ is that not a little inaccurate? Sure it happens to me but it's quite rare and so I can live with it.

Are you simply looking for a sneaky way to upgrade to the Legend?

• Advertisement

I installed the new Vanillain and got a few Force Closes while playing about with it.
    Back to Villain 5.02 again... :(

voxpop wrote: »
    What do you make of the Eclair changes ? Anything to blow your mind or just nicer ? Im still on one of the older modaco roms (3.0) - which is pretty solid bar one incident where the phone took on a mind of its own and needed restarting.

One thing that blew my mind was the new weather animation, it has to be seen to be believed:D I wonder what it does when it's sunny:)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,329 ✭✭✭radiospan

Villain ROM 5.1 is being uploaded now :)

Nice changelog too.... looks like a worthwhile upgrade.

Nice changelog too.... looks like a worthwhile upgrade.

Yes. Looking forward to seeing "HTC's 2.1 new & improved keyboard with Voice Input".

And what is AOSP keyboard?

I'll find out soon anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 847 ✭✭✭Proxy

Five times a day you say............ is that not a little inaccurate? Sure it happens to me but it's quite rare and so I can live with it.

I wouldn't say so. It happens to me at least three times a day. I feel like i've to constantly check i'm not missing calls, or turn Data off when i'm not directly using it. That is not up to standard of the €55 a month service i'm paying for.

plazzTT wrote: »
    Yes. Looking forward to seeing "HTC's 2.1 new & improved keyboard with Voice Input".

And what is AOSP keyboard?

I'll find out soon anyway

I think it's Google's original keyboard, AOSP is Android Open Source Project, the hero came with a HTC keyboard installed on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 599 ✭✭✭mooneyd

I just got my Sony X10 and Android is GREAT. But the keyboard is a little small.

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭R28

Happens to me at least 3 times a day now. You must live in a place with good 3g connection and you therefore don't drop between 3g and 2g and get the disconnection problem.

Just updated to the Legend 2.1 ROM find it great. Has Friend Stream good app.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=649731

Neon

• Advertisement

Not sure if it's been posted here yet, but there's a claim here that Meteor will release the 2.1 update OTA today: http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=660152

EDIT: Although a Meteor rep said this morning on their forum:
    "As soon as we hear from HTC on the release of this software you guys will be the first to know. We've no confirmed date at the moment."

• Registered Users Posts: 1,757 ✭✭✭Deliverance XXV

Has anyone got the Hero on Meteor? How is the data usage going?
    If you use email and a few apps daily would the 1GB allowance suffice?

• Registered Users Posts: 475 ✭✭flugel

BigCon wrote: »
    I think all HTC hero owners should have a read of this forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=655720

Pardon my blissful ignorance, but is it ONLY rooted phones you shouldnt upgrade to official 2.1? I havent rooted my phone, would I be able to try the official 2.1 and then if i dont fancy it switch to a rooted rom?

• Registered Users Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

flugel wrote: »
    Pardon my blissful ignorance, but is it ONLY rooted phones you shouldnt upgrade to official 2.1? I havent rooted my phone, would I be able to try the official 2.1 and then if i dont fancy it switch to a rooted rom?

No, if your phone is rooted, then this will remove the rooting.
    It may also disable the ability to root in future, so if you want to (or may consider rooting in future) don't go for the official 2.1 upgrade when it's released. Instead, wait for a pre-rooted version of the official ROM to become available.

• Registered Users Posts: 475 ✭✭flugel

It may also disable the ability to root in future

Cheers, just wanted that confirmed! At this stage reckon ill wait and see what the best rom that comes out of the official 2.1 is

• Closed Accounts Posts: 167 ✭✭Mickeyie05

Hey

is the new android 2.1 out yet? has anyone used it? whats it like? and is it easy to install??

Mickeyie05 wrote: »
    Hey

is the new android 2.1 out yet? has anyone used it? whats it like? and is it easy to install??

The official one is due out Friday but there is already some very complete leaked versions doing the rounds. It's a lot faster than the old version but the other differences are fairly subtle like the full screen weather animations and voice input for the keyboard. They are very easy to install but you need to root it first. If you don't plan on messing around with different ROM's you should wait for the official release.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,963 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

mooman wrote: »
    The official one is due out Friday but there is already some very complete leaked versions doing the rounds. It's a lot faster than the old version but the other differences are fairly subtle like the full screen weather animations and voice input for the keyboard. They are very easy to install but you need to root it first. If you don't plan on messing around with different ROM's you should wait for the official release.

Damn this can't come soon enough.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,836 ✭✭✭BigCon

Damn this can't come soon enough.

What's the betting that when Friday comes it'll be put back for another couple of weeks...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,824 ✭✭✭godskitchen

So 2.1 is due on Friday.........this week......I wont hold my breath but here is hoping.

Anyway, I am new to Android, I have a Meteor Hero but I am using it on Three. Do I have to upgrade manually?

Cheers

Advertisement