Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

U2 Croke Park 2009 - all discussion, no ticket sales.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,220 ✭✭✭Davey Devil

33b1xzp.jpg

Looks like the tickets in the Premium Level. The diagram for the seating plan has the stand in the wrong position however. Not sure if they are good tickets or not though. Depends on where exactly they put the stage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 yourm

but1er wrote: »
    pretty annoyed to find out were only gettin 270 of the stage der is no reason why it cant be in the middle. the braca stadium width wise is smaller then croker no reason why it cant be in the middle FU*KIN GAA :mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

its quite simple - the amount of people allowed into croke park is limited to 82,300. The railway end will not be opened so why bother putting the stage further up the pitch when no one will be there apart from the few hundred standing.

...and where exactly is braca?

clown.

• Registered Users Posts: 393 ✭✭PFL

Can't wait for this gig seen them last time at croke park and they we're amazing - we have tickets for the red zone and am counting the day's down. Only concern I'd have is the time restrictions - the videos from the opening night show the gig starting when it's dark and the full effects of the claw show seem to benefit better in the dark lights etc. This might be lost with the ****e rules of the gig finishing at a specific time.

• Registered Users Posts: 641 ✭✭✭creativedrinker

Dcully wrote: »

Do you mean standing tickets for croke park? If so there are standing tickets.
    Tickets to the shows range from €30 to 130 although 3 shows are sold out, think some production tickets are on sale today,whatever they are, im guessing its to areas they have now that its U2 270 instead of 360 thanks to hill 16 :(
    Hope you enjoy the show, i knwo for a fact you will be amazed :)

Yea they released seated tickets today.. just ordered my ticket there... got the top price ticket cause its just about infront of the stage or there abouts:D..... You only live once so fu*c it....

There was tickets for 30 quid????? :eek: would b nice seein a band that popular for so cheap

• Registered Users Posts: 1,405 ✭✭✭shinny

33b1xzp.jpg

Looks like the tickets in the Premium Level. The diagram for the seating plan has the stand in the wrong position however. Not sure if they are good tickets or not though. Depends on where exactly they put the stage.

Yeh thanks, I guess it depends on the layout. I'm happy to be going anyway. Really looking forward to it now.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭Driver 8

Not overly enthused by the Barca setlist...

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,682 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

Yeah i must agree.
    Also didnt like the version of crazy tonight, was a dancy type version :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22 sean11

This is typical of anything in Ireland. We only get a half arsed job while the rest of the world gets 100%... It's not U2's fault that the GAA only built 3/4 of a stadium... I knew from the pics of the Nou Camp show that the Croke park show was going to be a half arsed job (like the stadium)!! The 360 tour was designed to fit every world class stadium which Croke Park clearly is not... Christ if Neil Diamond can play Croke Park in the round surely U2 stage designers can sort something out, even when the Croke Park pitch area is much bigger than most.. It also baffles me as to why they couldn't put seats in Hill 16 for the show. I reckon the Dublin shows will be the only shows on the tour that will not fill the 20% extra people they get everywhere else... Other than that little rant I cant wait either way!!:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22 sean11

Yeah i must agree.
    Also didnt like the version of crazy tonight, was a dancy type version :(
    I like this dancy version. Personally I think that alot of the new songs sound a bit boring live, any clips of Magnificant, Breath, or Crazy Tonight (Youtube Letterman shows) just dont seen too come across well live, so I reckon that is why they changed it. I saw the Nou Camp Crazy tonight and the place was buzzing!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,221 ✭✭✭BrianD

sean11 wrote: »
    This is typical of anything in Ireland. We only get a half arsed job while the rest of the world gets 100%... It's not U2's fault that the GAA only built 3/4 of a stadium... I knew from the pics of the Nou Camp show that the Croke park show was going to be a half arsed job (like the stadium)!! The 360 tour was designed to fit every world class stadium which Croke Park clearly is not... Christ if Neil Diamond can play Croke Park in the round surely U2 stage designers can sort something out, even when the Croke Park pitch area is much bigger than most.. It also baffles me as to why they couldn't put seats in Hill 16 for the show. I reckon the Dublin shows will be the only shows on the tour that will not fill the 20% extra people they get everywhere else... Other than that little rant I cant wait either way!!:D

I got a laugh when I read this rubbish in the press today. I would have thought that the average punter would have been getting a 10 degree tour at best.

As somebody else said, the capacity of Croke Park can not increase. Basically what happens is that the rated capacity of the Hill 16 end is the number of people they allow on the pitch for a gig. Usually the stage is on Hill 16 so this out of use anyway. Even if they were to put seats into Hill 16 (and accomodate everyone that would normally stand there) you would end up with nobody standing on the pitch which would look very odd. You'd almost have a no mans land around the stage.

So lets say the GAA got a special licence to increase the capacity of Croke Park so all of Hill 16 could be used (seated) and the pitch. There's another problem - safety. The primary entrance to the pitch is the tunnel in the south east corner. I don't believe that the access at the northern end is sufficient for people (plus the access in the north west corner goes into a very confined space - most stadiums elsewhere have large open spaces around the stadium itself)). The stage would split the pitch in two meaning that there would be no way for the northern half of the pitch to be filled and emptied safely.

Personally, I think that Croker is a world class stadium but if they had a built it in a green field site it would have been better than it is. There are a few compromises.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13 bboyle18

Hi,

I have a ticket to U2 in croke park and I was wondering if anyone could help me with the location of my seat. I have 2 tickets and Im not sure which one is best.
    I am in Section 301 in Lower Cusack.....that is the last block next to Hill 16. I have a choice between seat 26 and seat 36. Obviously I want to be closer to the middle of the stadium and not over near the edge close to the hill.

Does anyone know how croke park's seat numbering works? Is seat 1 start at the aisle or does it start at the far wall next to the Hill?

Thanks

Surely 26 and 36 are very close to eachother.
    Doubt there is any difference between then bar 10-15 feet?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 67 ✭✭Magicman1

I bought 2 tickets yesterday from an ad on the buy and sell - they are great seats and I paid face value €275 for the pair. I didn't know until I was collecting them that they were e-tickets. My question is, are e-tickets safe? Like what's to stop the seller printing off and copying the page 10 times over and making a fortune out of it?

I still took the tickets because she seemed very genuine and told me she had lost her job so couldn't go. The name on the ticket matches the name on her voicemail so I'm sure all is on the level but I'm still wary of it.....any thoughts?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,588 ✭✭✭Bluetonic

sean11 wrote: »
    It also baffles me as to why they couldn't put seats in Hill 16 for the show.
    They can't sell out Croke Park as it is so the addition of an extra 6,500 seats sounds like a commercial decision.

Good rant against the GAA mind you :rolleyes:

BrianD wrote: »
    The stage would split the pitch in two meaning that there would be no way for the northern half of the pitch to be filled and emptied safely.
    There is a large exit onto Jones's Road from the pitch between the Nally and Hogan stands.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭Dubliner28

1 is a aisle seat

• Registered Users Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭jameshayes

Dubliner28 wrote: »
    1 is a aisle seat

Prob not an aisle seat - could be where it joins seat 1 of section 302

As far as i remember seat 36 will be furter toward the centre

Bluetonic wrote: »
    They can't sell out Croke Park as it is so the addition of an extra 6,500 seats sounds like a commercial decision.

Good rant against the GAA mind you :rolleyes:

What are you talking about?
    The 3 shows are sold out 82,000 each.
    The first 2 shows sold out in 20 minutes.
    The production thickets that went onsale Monday were as a result of extra space reserved until full plan for stage were arranged as it was a precautionary measure because the stage was only being built in belgium at the time of ticket sales.

What are you talking about?
    The 3 shows are sold out 82,000 each.
    The first 2 shows sold out in 20 minutes.
    The third show did not sell out, tickets remained onsale since going onsale therefore it's safe to assume they would not be able to sell out the extra capacity.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,391 ✭✭✭run_Forrest_run

just looking on the ticketmaster site, why is the stage directly in front of Hill16, I thought this was in the round (360 and all)?? Did they just not bother to update the image?

• Advertisement

The third show did not sell out, tickets remained onsale since going onsale therefore it's safe to assume they would not be able to sell out the extra capacity.

while you are correct about the third show not selling out as fast as first two it is a sell out now from what i heard.

while you are correct about the third show not selling out as fast as first two it is a sell out now from what i heard.
    Fair enough, I suppose as the dates get closer people get excited and the last few remaining tickets sell out for the third date.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,920 ✭✭✭billy few mates

As of two minutes ago there are still plenty of tickets available for sale for each night.......:confused:

Maybe in these recessionary times people feel €130+ is a bit steep for one of Bonehead's sermons....? :confused:

Now if he was to use some of the gig time he normally wastes pontificating to impart some of his extensive knowledge on matters regarding tax avoidance and the benefits of offshore trusts etc to the huddled masses it might be worth the money.....:)

Maybe they could ask Miley Cirrus to do support for them at Croker....?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,221 ✭✭✭BrianD

There is a large exit onto Jones's Road from the pitch between the Nally and Hogan stands.

There is an exit, not a large exit, onto Jones road but In my opinion this leads into a very confined area and would be dangerous (unlike the south east corner where it goes out into a car park and there's a dispersal area). I am also presuming that this is where the production vehicles and services would be located. For GAA matches the TV OB vehicles enter and leave that gate and park just under the stand.

I presume that there would also need to be a "sterile" access routes for emergency vehicles and given that access is limited I am guessing that this could be it. Is that gate used for entry/exit on match days?

Unfortunately, Croke Park doesn't have the space around it that other stadiums have so it would be dangerous to increase the capacity. The other side of the coin is taht I don't see how fans are disadvantaged.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,838 ✭✭✭doncarlos

PFL wrote: »
    Can't wait for this gig seen them last time at croke park and they we're amazing - we have tickets for the red zone and am counting the day's down. Only concern I'd have is the time restrictions - the videos from the opening night show the gig starting when it's dark and the full effects of the claw show seem to benefit better in the dark lights etc. This might be lost with the ****e rules of the gig finishing at a specific time.

I'm also in the red zone. Can't wait for it. Didn't realise the gig was on so early though. I'll have to go straight from work. I'll be nowhere near drunk enough by the time U2 come on stage! :D

There is an exit, not a large exit, onto Jones road but In my opinion this leads into a very confined area and would be dangerous (unlike the south east corner where it goes out into a car park and there's a dispersal area).
    Well I won't get into a discussion on the size of the exit but in comparison to other exits in Croker its large. There is also another exit from pitch side (north easy corner) onto St Josephs Avenue. Both exit are a few meters width.

The Hogan side exit does not pose any danger for people exiting. It's the same space where the Hogan stand exists onto, I've seen many people use this exit (from the Hill) at a full capacity Croker and there has been no danger.
    Is that gate used for entry/exit on match days?
    It's used for exit.

• Registered Users Posts: 641 ✭✭✭creativedrinker

i read in the paper today that u2 are stripping out the field as they want a different surface put down and will re-do the field with new grass after... if this is true bono has lost the plot!!!!!!!!!The paper says it will cost 1million:eek:

I think it was the sun or the star.. one of the tabloids... on the back page....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 161 ✭✭TheDemiurge

Maybe they could ask Miley Cirrus to do support for them at Croker....?

:D:D:D:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,322 ✭✭✭McGrath5

Does anybody know if there will be a pit?? As in if your there early enough can you get wrist bands for it? thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,920 ✭✭✭billy few mates

Does anybody know if there will be a pit??

They won't need one, its not Oxegen or Slane its Croker, there will be plenty of toilets......:D

Advertisement