Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

MSc in Applied Psychology in Trinity

• 01-03-2009 9:16pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 141 ✭✭

So it's getting to the end of the undergrad road now and I think I have a fair idea what I want to do - Educational Psychology. The Doctorate in Queens Belfast is the one that is catching my attention the most at the mo, but of course, you need lots of experience and continuation pages stapled to your cv before anyone will even look at you!

So I hear that people do this 1 year masters in applied psychology and that it is an effective stepping stone to getting into other masters or doctorates. Has anyone done this masters and has any comments on it? Also, has anyone studied at Queens and could tell me if it is at all possible to fund yourself living there whilst doing a 3yr doctorate?

Any input would be great :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

If it's a research doctorate you would be paid (tax free) for the research and also for teaching undergrads.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 141 ✭✭*Simone*

The Queens one isn't a PhD, but yes the tuition fees are paid for, and then you just have continue working in the North for 2yrs after you graduate to sort of repay them.

But does anyone know if that Applied Psychology masters would be beneficial for getting into Educational? (along with volunteer work/experience too obviously). Or would a teaching course be better?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,196 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

A friend of mine went on from the H Dip Psych to do this course this year. Apparently the workload is not as intense, 2 days a week or so, some interesting modules, the usual forms of assessment, essays, write ups etc. He already has an MEd and plenty of teaching experience, he's certainly interested in Ed Psych, but I think he's putting his plans on hold due to the recession. I heard not so great reports about it when the MSc was first up and running in 06/07. My impression is that people seem to think it will be a useful launching pad towards something such as clinical or simply a means of ticking another box on PG training applications.

As you're probably aware the goalposts can often shift in this field.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 Douise

I dont know. I am interested in following the same route myself. I want to do educational psychology but i cant make up my mind what would be the best route to go down to get into it. I have research experience but i dont have a masters so i was thinking of doing the applied psych in trinity. im really worried tho that if i do it and it turns out not to be relevant then it would be a complete waste of a year. If anyone has any opinions on the relevance of this course I would really appreciate it!

I can't imagine it would be a waste of time, as any masters would stand to you. And I saw on the Qub site re educational psych it mentioned a masters in applied psych would be beneficial as an entry requirement. There's another applied psychology programme in Edinburgh that I'm looking at, it's called 'Applied Psychology (Healthcare) For Children and Young Adults'. It sounds great but I can't find a great deal of info regarding the course. Its quite new I think.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12 Douise

yeah i am pretty sure that i am going to apply for that now. i just need constant reassurance that i am doing the right thing! :). that one in edinburgh sounds good and edinburgh is such a lovely city that it would be great to live there for a while. I unfortunately am stuck with Ireland because my boyfriend is in college here so he cant up and move to a different country.:mad:
    Good luck with everything. maybe we'll end up in college together in the next few years!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,856 ✭✭✭Valmont

I was talking to two people the other night currently doing the Msc in Applied Psychology in Trinity and they told me that it is very much oriented to people hoping to eventually get on a clinical psychology course. They said that out of 40 students, 37 were trying for clinical and the remainder for counselling. Even though it wouldn't be a waste of time, there are probably better suited courses to provide a route into educational. Maybe something ABA oriented?

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭Moobui

Based on the people I know who have done the Trinity course I would agree that it is seen as a stepping stone towards getting into clinical as opposed to educational. Also based on my knowledge of those on the MAEP in UCD, I don't know anyone who has done the Applied Psychology course. That does not mean that it would not be useful and from what was said about the Queen's course it appears that they value it.

• Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭TheNibbler

I definitely agree with the above comments. The Applied masters in Trinity is really aimed at people looking to get into Clinical. Have a friend who has an interview for Educational in Queens and she seems to have gotten that purely based on a decent degree and practical experience. Perhaps work experience would be more useful than the Applied masters?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 beautyqueen1979

Hey, I don't think you have to do a masters to be able to get onto the doctorate. It obviously won't do you any harm to have a postgrad qualification, but I got to interview at QUB for the DECAP course this year and I haven't done a postgrad qualification, I just have a range of experience. I think the experience you have really helps your performance in interview as you are able to speak about psychology in practice.
    I personally don't have an interest in doing a masters course, unless there is one that really really interests me, I prefer learning through hands on work :)

• Advertisement

Yeah the only reason I thought it would be a good idea is because Qub mentioned it as a possible relevant masters to get into educational, I mean it does have a child and adolescent psychology module in it. And besides, clinical and educational are very similar in nature, so I wouldn't see how its suitable only for those wishing to go onto clinical.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,856 ✭✭✭Valmont

*Simone* wrote: »
    Yeah the only reason I thought it would be a good idea is because Qub mentioned it as a possible relevant masters to get into educational, I mean it does have a child and adolescent psychology module in it. And besides, clinical and educational are very similar in nature, so I wouldn't see how its suitable only for those wishing to go onto clinical.

It's not only suitable for those heading down the clinical road although this seems to be the main reason that people apply for the course in the first place and indeed most of the current students there are going for clinical. Although I'm sure it'll stand to you no matter what career you pursue.

Valmont wrote: »
    there are probably better suited courses to provide a route into educational. Maybe something ABA oriented?

The applied psych masters also includes an ABA module.

Advertisement