Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Gaining Flexibility

Options
  • 27-12-2010 2:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 24

Hi,

I'd be interested in hearing the experiences of others who have managed to gain real flexibility as a result of yoga.

By way of background, I've been practicing yoga for the past year or so - home practice with DVDs and books around 30 minutes per session about 4 times per week. Although I've noticed some improvement in my flexibility, it is barely noticeable to me.

I realise yoga isn't a competitive activity, but I was just wondering what the experience of others is. Have you managed to gain real and significant increases in flexibility with yoga? If so, how long did it take?

Thanks for your contributions. :)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 63 ✭✭ivy tilsley

Hey there,

I noticed when I started regular practice last spring I hated supta padangusthasana/ reclining big toe pose and could barely get my leg upright with a band. Now I can hold my toe with my hand.

HP_220_Supta_248.jpg

I notice hamstring improvements the most, I can lean further forward, but I noticed the other day when I was doing a spine twist that I twisted much farther around than I used to when my partner said "wow, you look like yer one from the Exorcist."

HP_214_ArdhaMatsyendrasana_248.jpg

the-exorcist-film_788838a.jpg

So my answer is yes, definitely. However I was very wound up and there was a lot of room for improvement.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 266 ✭✭Mr Marri

I've only been doing yoga a couple of months, with mixed results in terms of flexiblity, big muscle groups like hams and quads very slowly getting more flexibly, smaller muscles much more flexible.
    One thing I have noticed is that my instantaneous flexiblity* is much as it was (couldn't touch my toes now if you asked me) but my slow release fexiblity* has improved. ie if you gave me a minute or two I could put my whole plam on the groud.

*I'm making terms up here so they probably don't make any sense :pac:

Advertisement