Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tofu is it healthy?

• 12-02-2020 10:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,017 ✭✭✭

Just finished week 4 with no meat or dairy. I was wondering what opinions are on Tofu. I had some this week. As with everything online there are conflicting stories on its health benefits. Are you a fan of it?

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,076 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

I'm a big fan of it, I researched it and decided it and other soy products were quite good for me. I eat it most days. Great source of protein, iron (possibly calcium and magnesium depending on how it is set). Very versatile also, from curries to tofu scramble (which is delicious).

• Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 26,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

It's a simple bland protein - you can do a lot of things with it. I'm a fan, and so is my younger son.

• Registered Users Posts: 755 ✭✭✭davidjtaylor

Well done, keep it up. As for soy: like everything, moderation. 8) I too did some research and found there's nothing to worry about. Try to source European-grown (organic preferably) soy products.

It is a good source of iron - I gave up soya for a whole year as an experiment and my iron levels dropped. They're fine now (marginally high actually).

You don't need much protein but mixing tofu with other sources gives variety. Seitan, pea protein products, lentils etc. It's never been easier to be vegan and healthy!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

I'd eat a fair amount of it. It very versatile and easy to use. Very bland in its original form so good seasoning is a must.

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭purplesnack

I love tofu and it's so versatile - firm tofu for savoury dishes and silken for desserts. I make a lemon meringue pie with silken tofu and it's epic, if I do say so myself!

I had concerns about using soy products as well but there seems to be more positive than negative information out there now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,640 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

I've eaten tofu a lof of times in miso shiro and I got to like it after a while.

'The Bishops blessed the Blueshirts in Galway, As they sailed beneath the Swastika to Spain'

• Registered Users Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

Yep certainly is a decently healthy food to eat. I'm not aware of any negative health effects of consumption of tofu though I have also heard some negative claims about it so I wont say there are none but from my quick skim of research online it doesnt look like theres any actual valid reasons to not eat tofu.

As usual just airbags dirtying its name like dairy or wheat or whatever other fad

• Registered Users Posts: 4,497 ✭✭✭auspicious

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=110651908

A summary of summary in link at end of post.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

It's interesting that soy is linked with lower risk of many cancers. It is theorised that consumption of some meats increase the risk of some cancers due to the presence of methionine, which most people overconsume. But soybeans are one of the few plant foods in existence that have methionine, and one of the only plants that is a complete protein.

That is an amazingly informative post Auspicious, thanks for sharing.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,076 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

wakka12 wrote: »
    It's interesting that soy is linked with lower risk of many cancers. It is theorised that consumption of some meats increase the risk of some cancers due to the presence of methionine, which most people overconsume. But soybeans are one of the few plant foods in existence that have methionine, and one of the only plants that is a complete protein.

That is an amazingly informative post Auspicious, thanks for sharing.

Every plant source has methionine (and all the essential amino acids), the difference is animal sources generally have much higher methionine than plant sources and that is thought to be bad for longevity.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,532 ✭✭✭JTMan

What brand of tofu do people buy?

My favourite is The Tofoo Co. Smoked Organic Tofu 225G which seems to only be available in Tesco.

Aldi and some other retailers do not seem to sell Tofu.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,316 ✭✭✭Tilikum17

JTMan wrote: »

My favourite is The Tofoo Co. Smoked Organic Tofu 225G which seems to only be available in Tesco.

I use the same one (non smoked one) Marinated with tamari sauce.

• Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 26,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

JTMan wrote: »

Cauldron marinated tofu pieces (absolutely fantastic for the lazy veg*n cook) or the one linked.

Advertisement