Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Gastric Banding anyone? Mod Note: No Clinic Names

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 Bigmix

neelyohara wrote: »
    It's always good to share info, so this is what I received from VHI:

Note the bold. I like how they started by stating my policy type then near the end, after sending a long and complicated email, they tell me my policy isn't covered! :pac:

In my case it's not a matter of getting cover, it's trying to find the best package/medical team and the most competitive price.

I know i was lucky with who I dealt with in Quinnhealth, if i had got it done in Ireland they would only have covered half of the 12000 euro bill. b4 i knew i would get the op covered by Quinn, I was the same as yourself looking 4 the best package/ medical team with a good price. Chris deBruyne was recomended 2 me by someone I met on holiday, (She lost 11 stone in less than a Year) I done a lot of research on him and others but was very impressed with what people said about him (especially on this forum) all in all the op flights and fills at the clinic costs about 5000 euro.
    I'm only speakin 4 myself but having gone thru it all it's worth every penny.
    if u want 2 get a better picture of Chris DeBruyne go 2 one of his clinics 4 a consultation and b4 and after u see his assisstant ( he is rareley there) sit and talk 2 people in the waiting room who've had the operation you'll get all the information u'l need. They're always willing 2 share they're experiences and it was after talking to them convinced me 2 have the op,
    Best of luck with what u decide and let us know how u get on
    Mick

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,914 ✭✭✭✭tbh

folks - I'll say it again. We don't allow email addresses, website addresses or recommendations of any practitioners on boards, and certainly not in this thread. In the interests of the greater good, I've been trying to turn a blind eye to this, but there's only so much turning I can do.

IF you want to rec. someone, do so over PM.

once more:

PLEASE, do not publish email addresses, websites, or names of any company or person providing this proceedure. Mods will not be obligated to issue any more warnings, and if the practise continues, the thread will be closed.

• Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭neelyohara

To the mods I completely understand your frustration with the issue of names/companies being mentioned, unfortunately when people are discussing the subject it's not so much the pros and cons.... it's that they are trying to gather information on packages and doctors.

For those who have gone through the procedure the discussion is usually based on who you went to, who is doing your fills, how much they cost, etc.

I'm not disputing the forum charter or actions/decisions by mods... I'm really just offering a reason why this thread keeps throwing up red flags.:o

Is it worth putting together a list of websites/forums people have found interesting for sourcing information? I'm not referring to surgeons or clinics business websites but actual support forums that specifically deal with this area.

(and tbh... is mentioning VHI a forum no-no? I didn't think so as I've found them through-out boards.ie but now I'm not so sure!)

Hi neely, no problems with links to other forums, it's individual names that cause an issue for two reasons - one, we attract a load of spamming and two, we don't negative reviews of practitioners and so for balance, positive either. Thanks for your understanding

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 hunnybee2small

tbh wrote: »
    I appreciate you asking, but I'd also appreciate it if you didn't post links - thanks Patti.

Hi guys, I can see your point about why we shouldnt be recommending different clinics etc but the main reason we come on here is to get the advice and support that we need!! This site is very restricted!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3 hunnybee2small

seat32 wrote: »
    Hi everyone. I'm 2 days post-op lap-band and feeling good now the gas pains have passed. I've been a serial dieter all my life and have 6 stone to lose. I don't know how many times I've said "this is it, I'm going to lose this weight" - I tend to give up and revert to bad habits if I don't lose or even gain weight - and I know the band will be the push I need on those days. I know it's not going to be easy! Just wanted to pass on this tip to anyone considering the op: search YouTube for "wls" - there are loads of vlogs there of people who have had it done and their experiences - both good & bad.

Hi everyone! I am 30 yrs old and have struggled all my life with my weight, I have done every diet known to man and only had success with Reductil, when I lost 3 and a half stone ( I am currently 14 stone and want to be 10) but piled it all back on again. When I wanted to go back on the reductil i found out it was taken off the market... So now I am seriously considering A Gastric Band. I have made enquiries to many clinics I have found advertised on the net.. Some are abroad and others are in Ireland. I have found that if you get treated abroad the hospitals in Ireland are very reluctant to treat you afterwards if you have any complications. I got a reply back from one clinic based in dublin , they rang me this morning. My BMI is 31 and she said that normally they require a bmi of 35, but she would consult the doctor and call me back. She suggested the gastric balloon, which is a non surgical procedure. I am not interested in this as I want this device in for life and the balloon is only in for six months. I also recieved a reply from a clinic in dublin that brings you abroad to Budapest for the procedure. They quoted 4950e all included (flights accom etc) and claimed that they bands are superior as they do not slip?! The clinic in dublin has quoted 7950e and seem to very professional.
    I am wondering how i will adjust after the operation as I am a complete foodie, love to cook and entertain and would like to know exactly how normal of a life I will be able to enjoy after the procedure. I have suffered from major depression all my life because of my weight and cannot let anymore of my life slip by without being the person I want to be. I would be so happy to get any information or help from anyone who has been through this procedure, either in Ireland or abroad. Many thanks folks!!

• Registered Users Posts: 6 seat32

hunnybee2small

I just did a big long "quick reply", hit the submit button and nothing happened and now all that text is gone. D'oh!

The short version then...
    Life after banding is pretty much the same as life before banding except that meal sizes are much smaller, chewing time is greatly increased and there is no drinking allowed with or for 1 hour after meals. No foods are off-limits so there should be no problems entertaining - you might just be the last one to finish eating and you can't have wine/coffee during/after dinner. Read through the forums (I posted links on pg12) where UK and US people talk about everything and anything band-related or PM me if you like.

Hi guys, I can see your point about why we shouldnt be recommending different clinics etc but the main reason we come on here is to get the advice and support that we need!! This site is very restricted!!

this isn't the only site on the internet :) it's either discuss it this way, or not at all - that's not a threat, it's just the reality. We could get in a lot of trouble - if one person "I went here and it was bad", we get legal letters straight away. I assure you, we're doing as much as we're comfortable with.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 mandypoo89

Hi, im 20 years old and im getting a gastric band placed in brussels on 29/06/2010.

i decided to get the band because my best friend has it and lost 7 1/2 stone in 18 months :) my aunt also got it done in january and already has 3 stone gone. i have seen the proof that it works! but you have to work with it, its not a quick fix its a tool to keep you on track.

Ive been struggling with my weight since i was 6 years old and have yo-yo dieted all through my teens. with every diet i would lose weight for a couple months then lose motivation and put it all back on PLUS MORE!!! I have a BMI of 50, and am 5,8 so im doing this to put an end to my yo yo diet rollercoaster and end this battle with weight once and for all!

id love to chat with people who have the band or are getting one so we can share experiences, any helpful tips or words of encouragement are welcome!!
    :D
    xxxxxxxxxxx

mandypoo89 wrote: »
    Hi, im 20 years old and im getting a gastric band placed in brussels on 29/06/2010.

i decided to get the band because my best friend has it and lost 7 1/2 stone in 18 months :) my aunt also got it done in january and already has 3 stone gone. i have seen the proof that it works! but you have to work with it, its not a quick fix its a tool to keep you on track.

Ive been struggling with my weight since i was 6 years old and have yo-yo dieted all through my teens. with every diet i would lose weight for a couple months then lose motivation and put it all back on PLUS MORE!!! I have a BMI of 50, and am 5,8 so im doing this to put an end to my yo yo diet rollercoaster and end this battle with weight once and for all!

id love to chat with people who have the band or are getting one so we can share experiences, any helpful tips or words of encouragement are welcome!!
    :D
    xxxxxxxxxxx

You sound like you know exactly what you're getting yourself into - the band is a tool and you still have to do the work to lose the weight. I just wish I'd had the guts to do it at 20 instead of wasting years thinking I could do it on my own. Whenever I lose motivation now, the band keeps me right on track and I'm losing the weight slowly but surely.

I think one of the biggest benefits is that it's helping me to break my bad food habits - like snacking all evening - so I know that once I reach my goal weight, I'll find it easier to maintain it. Unlike the crash diets I used to go on where I'd lose weight fast by being on a super-strict VLCD (very low calorie diet) and then pile it all back on again once I started eating "normally".

I'm sure your friend, your aunt and your surgery provider will be able to answer your questions - feel free to bounce 'em off me too if you like!

Good luck with the preparation for the Op - I was on a "milk diet" for 2 weeks beforehand (to reduce the fat stores around the liver) and even though it was one of the strictest diets I'd ever been on, I found it easy because I knew it was to make the Op easier/safer so I didn't find it too hard to stick to.

Let us know how you get on with it all anyway!

• Advertisement

seat32 wrote: »
    I just wish I'd had the guts to do it at 20 instead of wasting years thinking I could do it on my own.

I'm sure your friend, your aunt and your surgery provider will be able to answer your questions - feel free to bounce 'em off me too if you like!

I was on a "milk diet" for 2 weeks beforehand (to reduce the fat stores around the liver) and even though it was one of the strictest diets I'd ever been on, I found it easy because I knew it was to make the Op easier/safer so I didn't find it too hard to stick to.

@Mandy We're both getting an op on the same day! You sound like you're in the right headspace and no doubt it will be a huge sucess for you.

I'm 28 and I'm doing it for the very reason Seat mentions - I don't want to find myself in the same (or very possibly worse) condition in ten years time.

I decided I didn't want a band, I did have worries about slippage and the ongoing maintenance and cost of fills. I didn't want to go down the route of bypass as it mainly works by mal-absorption.
    I finally decided on a sleeve gastrectomy as it has the benefit of a bypass (small stomach, although not as small as a bypass) BUT it removes the portion of your stomach that produces the hormone that triggers appetite.

I'm currently on the pre-op liver diet. I'm finding it hard because I've had nearly a year of 'sod it all to hell then' coupled with some depression at the moment - long story short I want some sugar! I'm heading off to the Czech Republic at the end of the month.

My op will cost €7500 in total. That's flights, hotel, pre-op tests (ekg, endo, blood, ultrasound....) hospital, operation, post-op tests, 2 years nutition/psychological support post-op. It also factors in insurance and it was the only company that gave, what I consider, an adequate recovery time in hospital.

Anyway - op is at the end of this month, I'm keeping it quiet work wise. I've loads of annual leave to take so I'm going 'on holiday' for three weeks.

When I come back and I'm losing weight I'll just complain that they are over-working me :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,577 ✭✭✭StormWarrior

My sister got a gastric band about 18 months ago. She had always been very overweight, even as a child, and by the time she was about 22 years old she weighed about 23 stone. She tried weight watchers and many other diets repeatedly but always failed. She spent £20 on chinese takeaway every night. Eventually the doctor told her that if she didn't lose weight she'd be dead by the time she was 30. She took out a bank loan and got a gastric band.

At frist she could only drink small amounts of liquid, but soon she could eat again. She did not change her eating habits and continues to eat lots of junk food. However, because of the gastric band she can't eat quite as much as before, so over the past approximately 18 months, she has lost about 6 stone. She continues to lose weight. Because she overeats and does other things she was told not to, such as drinking at the wrong times, she frequently complains that the band is causing her discomfort. She has been back to have it tightened a few times. It has definitely been worth it though, she'd never have lost any weight without it. Make sure that you get a gastric band from a hospital that comes with lifetime after-care, that's very important.

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭Prettyfireworks

I have a consultation tomorrow in the Beaumont private clinic. No idea what to expect, anyone got any tips for me? Its for the Gastric Bypass, after talking it over with my GP I decided this was the best one for me.

I will post tomorrow evening to say how I got and stuffs! x

• Registered Users Posts: 398 ✭✭SupaDupaFly

I have a consultation tomorrow in the Beaumont private clinic. No idea what to expect, anyone got any tips for me? Its for the Gastric Bypass, after talking it over with my GP I decided this was the best one for me.

I will post tomorrow evening to say how I got and stuffs! x

Good luck!!!mine is on Tuesday. Hope it goes well xxx

She did not change her eating habits and continues to eat lots of junk food.

That doesn't sound good - as any sucessful 'bandster' will tell you the band is really just a tool and not the solution to losing and maintaining weight. There is every possibility that with continual 'grazing' she may regain all of the weight.

If the band slipped or needed to be removed she'd find herself back at square one - however it's fantastic that she has lost so much weight already.

@Prettyfireworks and @SupaDupaFly

Good luck to both of you! Let me know how you got on!

So I went to my consultation today. Huge disapointment, when I get there after waiting for over half an hour I got called into the room only to be told the guy I was refered to doesnt even do the surgery anymore!

So I am being refered to someone else, a guy over in Blackrock-Dublin. Has anyone gone over there for this kind of surgery? (Looking for bypass rather than band)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 Honeybee121

Hi everyone! I am 30 yrs old and have struggled all my life with my weight, I have done every diet known to man and only had success with Reductil, when I lost 3 and a half stone ( I am currently 14 stone and want to be 10) but piled it all back on again. When I wanted to go back on the reductil i found out it was taken off the market... So now I am seriously considering A Gastric Band. I have made enquiries to many clinics I have found advertised on the net.. Some are abroad and others are in Ireland. I have found that if you get treated abroad the hospitals in Ireland are very reluctant to treat you afterwards if you have any complications. I got a reply back from one clinic based in dublin , they rang me this morning. My BMI is 31 and she said that normally they require a bmi of 35, but she would consult the doctor and call me back. She suggested the gastric balloon, which is a non surgical procedure. I am not interested in this as I want this device in for life and the balloon is only in for six months. I also recieved a reply from a clinic in dublin that brings you abroad to Budapest for the procedure. They quoted 4950e all included (flights accom etc) and claimed that they bands are superior as they do not slip?! The clinic in dublin has quoted 7950e and seem to very professional.
    I am wondering how i will adjust after the operation as I am a complete foodie, love to cook and entertain and would like to know exactly how normal of a life I will be able to enjoy after the procedure. I have suffered from major depression all my life because of my weight and cannot let anymore of my life slip by without being the person I want to be. I would be so happy to get any information or help from anyone who has been through this procedure, either in Ireland or abroad. Many thanks folks!!

I know the clinic you are referring to and they still only pay the surgeon 4000.
    Rip off Ireland eh? I know this for a fact as I was only speaking with the surgeon in person on Thursday.
    I had the gastric band fitted last August and now 5st and 3lbs lighter.
    I only have another stone to loose and to be honest its the best decision I have ever made
    I feel fantastic, look fantastic, have been taken off my blood pressure tablets and to be honest getting lots of male attention!!!

Anyhow PM if you want to know anymore. i remember only too well being in your shoes and wish I had someone to talk to about it.
    Chat soon
    Honeybee121

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 mandypoo89

as i said i have a couple people close to me who have the band, i have been told that the band is nearly never successful for people who graze on food, i.e people who constantly pick at food all day.

its mainly gonna work for "volume eaters" people who eat large quantities of food in one sitting, 3 or more times a day. i fall into this category!!! i eat 3 times a day, dont have a sweet tooth thank god but i have a serious issue with bread and pasta!!! i find it hard to eat small portions, i always want more i eat way too much carbs, they are the foods i crave.

this is why im overweight along with not enough exercise, i find it embarrassing and difficult to excercise due to my size. but i know these are excuses, being this large has made me lazy and sedentary and i hate it!

so the way i am planning on using the band is to stop me from eating huge portions, i eat fairly healthy anyway apart from chinese food thats my comfort food!! i think people who opt for something this drastic and life changing, then go and try to cheat against it need to realize that the problem needs to be solved with therapy. the gastric band isnt going on your brain, just your stomach! so you have to do most of the hard work!

i cant wait for my journey to begin :D

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭shellita

Hi, I am looking for other people who have had the Gastric Band and how you find it.

I had my band fitted 3/6/2010 :)
    I was in a lot of pain for the first few days buts its easing off now, like any surgery I suppose.

I did 1,000 cal diet the week before op and on liquids now since the band.
    I have Not vomited once and I know I have 3ml in my band.
    So looking good so far.

Please don't post if you want to complain about surgery, as you don't know my life or the other people who have the band.
    It is NOT an easy option, it only counts for 30% of weight loss and the rest is down to the individual with a healthy diet and plenty of exercise.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1 lovely lexi

well done shellita,thats the hard bit over.I have my band three years,am down five stone never looked back:P,dont mind what people say do it for you.x lovely lexi

So I went to my consultation today. Huge disapointment, when I get there after waiting for over half an hour I got called into the room only to be told the guy I was refered to doesnt even do the surgery anymore!

So I am being refered to someone else, a guy over in Blackrock-Dublin. Has anyone gone over there for this kind of surgery? (Looking for bypass rather than band)

Wow! That's really unprofessional! I don't understand how you got an appointment for a consultation with a surgeon who doesn't do the procedure you're looking for! Why on earth did they drag you in?!

Don't drop anchor here. I found it very hard to find anyone in Ireland that would do a bypass... everything was geared towards a band or balloon. Like most other people I'm going abroad.
    shellita wrote: »
    I had my band fitted 3/6/2010 :)
    I was in a lot of pain for the first few days buts its easing off now, like any surgery I suppose.

Well done Shellita! I'm getting a VSG on June 27th but there are lots of bandsters hanging around here! No doubt someone will pop up soon!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 EmmieLou

I am from the North of Ireland and have been trying to find out if you can have a gastric bypass operation in Ireland, so far I have come up with nothing.

Unfortunately I am not a fan of flying which I why I would prefer to have the operation in Ireland.

If anyone can help me out with any information I would be very grateful!

Hi Emmielou, I've just had a VSG last week and had to fly - it really isn't a problem (although in the initial days post surgery I thought I'd never make it out of the hospital let alone make two flights home!)

A quick google search will throw up a lot of companies in Ireland offering the procedure.

Is there specific information you are looking for? Finding the companies is the easiest part!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 EmmieLou

Thanks for that, I been on google so many times but found nothing.
    I would rather not have to fly so was hoping to actually have the operation in Ireland and have not been able to find a company that does that.
    Found clincs but then you have to fly somewhere for the operation.

@Emmielou

Hiya, I am from Dublin and have been consulting with the Bons clinic in Cork, I know its a good bit away from Belfast but at least its in the country! look up their website (not gonna post a link here, not sure if im allowed to?)

Also, Gravitas... They are a company working from Blackrock clinic in Dublin.

I have my pre op tests on the 22nd of this month the hopefully not long after that ill have the op! (Bypass)

Good luck with it all, pm me if you want to :)

coolatree wrote: »

once again, please don't name companies or individuals on the thread. If you'd like people to contact you should register for an account so you can send and recieve private messages (you can give company / surgeon names in those)

coolatree wrote: »

please calm down. NO companies are allowed to be posted. if someone has mentioned the bons, point it out to me and I'll delete it as well.

actually, having read you other posts, I believe you're a shill. Posts deleted, and will continue to be deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭shellita

Well I went for my barium swallow last Friday it was so yucky but ok.

I got a call from the Hospital yday to say my band is int he right place and all ok :D:D:D:D:D
    So relieved and happy!!!!

Going for my first fill Thursday which is 5 weeks to the day from my op.

I have been getting weird chest pains and talked to a girl who got the band last year she said thats food either not chewed well or something I have trouble eating or drinking with food.

I find it impossible to eat without having a drink, and then the pain is so bad but other than that im doing really well.

• Advertisement

I found it difficult to eat without drinking at first too - I always had at least 1 glass of water with my meals before the op - but as long as I chew for long enough and swallow small amounts at a time then it's fine. It's really only potatoes/chips and bread that I've to be extra careful with as they're so dry.

I find that if I drink while eating now that it hurts, so maybe that's part of your problem? I think the liquid tries to wash the food thru the band and it has trouble passing thru.

If I'm having an off day or a meal out, I might compromise and get something saucy - pretty close to "slider foods" - sometimes I just want an easy meal - I rarely do that though.

I guess if you had your fill last Thursday then your service provider will have told you off about the drinking with eating anyway - it'll really hurt after your fill as you'll have more restriction for a while. Not that I'm trying to tell you off! Sorry...just letting you know that that's one of my own big No-Nos because it hurts like hell.

Advertisement