Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Interview in morning....panicking

• 20-11-2019 2:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,058 ✭✭✭

Hi folks. Absolutely detest interviews :confused: nerves are shot. Struggling with the following:

How do you deal with a difficult personality in work??? give examples

How do you manage conflicting deadlines??

Would love some advice folks.....

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 391 ✭✭Professor Genius

Communication is key. That’s a catch all response for any of those difficult questions.

• Registered Users Posts: 684 ✭✭✭zapper55

When asked a question that stumps you take a deep breath and place yourself on that situation. What do you actually do? You've likely been in most of these situations already.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,065 ✭✭✭RoryMurphyJnr

They'll be looking for how YOU handled a situation not how a team or group of people handled it.

"I spoke with the person involved"
    "I followed up with HR"

Pause and think before you answer the question.
    Answer the question you've been asked don't go off on a tangent

Good luck

• Registered Users Posts: 507 ✭✭✭Sinus pain

I would google example answers and then try to think of a time when something similar happened or try to associate something similar

• Closed Accounts Posts: 421 ✭✭HorrorScope

Hi folks. Absolutely detest interviews :confused: nerves are shot. Struggling with the following:

You try to understand if it's just the persons attitude in general, or if there is frustration/lack of knowledge on their part with what they are required to do. If it's work related you'd try assist them (shows leadership and being a team player), and if it's personality you'd just keep interactions as business like as possible when you have to deal with them.

What's going to make the bigger noise if it doesn't get met? If you can identify that, you prioritise it - then you do the same for each other deadline on the chain.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,733 ✭✭✭OMM 0000

Stay professional.

If their difficult personality is affecting people's work and the team atmosphere, ask your manager for advice on how to deal with it.

As a general rule I think ask for advice before trying to solve a problem yourself, especially when dealing with a difficult person.

Make sure your manager and any other stakeholders understand the risk. Proceed from there.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Personalities - focus on the message, listen and clarify details. It's never, ever personal.

Deadlines - much as others have said. Highlight potential conflicts ASAP and get agreement from stakeholders on changes.

Oh and break a leg as they say!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,986 ✭✭✭skallywag

When interviewing I am always very impressed when I am given an example of something that did not go well at all, why the candidate thinks this was (even if they contributed directly to the problem), and what they would do differently again in the future to try and improve.

So, for example, say you are asked about conflicting deadlines. I would pause for a while, and then take the discussion down the road where you had an issue here in the past which created a problem. Do not be at all afraid to make it clear that your actions contributed to the problem. Then, reflect on what you learned, and what you would change if you could do it again.

Advertisement