Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Putting your pronoun on Linkedin

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

And now girls in this school will basically be forced to change in front of a guy who is 'ecstatic' about it. as there aren't enough privacy stalls.
    this is horrible. that girl is in tears

https://www.dailyherald.com/news/20191114/district-211-grants-transgender-students-unrestricted-locker-room-access

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭Snow Garden

To be honest LinkedIn has become something truly awful. It used to be simply a way to connect and find jobs. It's now full of narcissistic gob****es trying to prove that their multinational role and work is brilliant and that they are trendy and successful etc. They are the same people that define their life happiness by whatever title/band their multinational overlords have bestowed on them through their hard work and arse licking. Some day they will wake up and see how the corporate dream has consumed their lives and drained them of any real substance.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭kyote00

me/me/me

• Registered Users Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

I dont think Ive ever not been able to tell what pronoun somebody goes by just by looking at them. And of the few trans people Ive met it was pretty obvious what gender they were trying to look so obviously courteous to addrress them as that. So seems like a big deal over nothing

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭Paddy Cow

wakka12 wrote: »
    I dont think Ive ever not been able to tell what pronoun somebody goes by just by looking at them. And of the few trans people Ive met it was pretty obvious what gender they were trying to look so obviously courteous to addrress them as that. So seems like a big deal over nothing
    What you said makes sense but you have to remember we are living in a time where people are looking to take offence, so being reasonable doesn't cut it. Unless you are "woke" you are some sort of "ism" or "phobic". That's the new world order. It might seem insane but we just need to suck it up or pay the consequences. What you just said, although correct, could label you a transphob and set the twitterati against you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,973 ✭✭✭Chris_Heilong

Just means they are a part of this new cult, sheep will always follow.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,797 ✭✭✭✭hatrickpatrick

I don't know why people get so annoyed about such a tiny gesture of solidarity with trans people.

Because some of us just don't believe in the concept of gender being distinct from sex as it is currently preached and as we're currently supposed to accept without questioning or debating it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,135 ✭✭✭Better Than Christ

Distortion of the English language to assuage a tiny, tiny percentage of people?
    It's not a tiny gesture, it's an an example of the tyranny of the few holding sway.

Distortion of the English language? Using the word 'tyranny' to describe something so trivial. Now that's a distortion of the English language.

You've little to be worrying about.
    Because some of us just don't believe in the concept of gender being distinct from sex as it is currently preached and as we're currently supposed to accept without questioning or debating it.

I'm always inclined to shy away from 'questioning' or 'debating' some other poor fucker's life, to be honest. If the 'only asking questions' brigade calmed their tits and took a 'live and let live' approach to the whole trans issue, then it wouldn't be an issue (not for around 99% of us anyway). It's a win-win - trans people might not feel as hated and marginalised as they currently do, and you wouldn't have poor sods like Yosser there feeling oppressed or anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭J Mysterio

What annoys me most about the pronoun stuff is the demands people place on you to help them them deal with their shıt. They can fucķ right off with that tbh. Identify with what you want yourself, but don't ask me to jump through hoops for you.

I mean - ffs - a great many people can't even manage to use their/ there correctly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,135 ✭✭✭Better Than Christ

J Mysterio wrote: »
    Identify with what you want yourself, but don't ask me to jump through hoops for you.

If everyone had that attitude, then trans people wouldn't need anyone to jump through hoops for them / show a harmless bit of solidarity with them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭An Ri rua

J Mysterio wrote: »
    What annoys me most about the pronoun stuff is the demands people place on you to help them them deal with their shıt. They can fucķ right off with that tbh. Identify with what you want yourself, but don't ask me to jump through hoops for you.

I mean - ffs - a great many people can't even manage to use their/ there correctly.

Their, their, don't worry deer, it'll bee alright

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

This is truly insane. Are people actually saying in a room full of people - which may or may not contain some trans people, everyone has to identify their gender? Fine if a trans or whatever person wants to volunteer it, but forcing 10 lads to tell everyone they are lads? Come on.

BTW is anyone defending this practice or is this just a few nutters in San Francisco?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,524 ✭✭✭Gynoid

bluewolf wrote: »
    And now girls in this school will basically be forced to change in front of a guy who is 'ecstatic' about it. as there aren't enough privacy stalls.
    this is horrible. that girl is in tears

https://www.dailyherald.com/news/20191114/district-211-grants-transgender-students-unrestricted-locker-room-access

People should watch the video at the link. It captures the atmosphere of the personalities very well. The first person may "identify" as a transwoman, but they are a man. I dont mind calling them a transwoman but I wont pretend they are a biological female. The second person is a young woman who due to a policy change no longer has privacy from any men in her changing rooms. Men who identify as transwomen or men who dont but who are exploiting a loop hole. I dont know what the solution is, because it is not nice to be cruel to people who have gender dysphoria. But what is happening now is cruel and dangerous for females.

• Subscribers Posts: 40,722 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

That's it in a nut shell.

Those that say gender is a social construction say it as of that's a fact and that we are not supposed to argue against it.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,907 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

This is why we need war

• Registered Users Posts: 8,810 ✭✭✭Hector Savage

Rologyro wrote: »
    I saw this for the first time today on an Irish LinkedIn profile. Their name was down as “Jane Bloggs (she, her)”. This just annoyed me, I think it’s a way for people to feel sanctimonious about how “woke” they are.

Do you think this is going to actually catch on?

I think it's fantastic to be honest, a great filter to immediately discount from hiring these utter cretins.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,810 ✭✭✭Hector Savage

Gynoid wrote: »
    Published today as a letter in the Times (UK)
    I am the governor who resigned from the Tavistock board after Dr David Bell wrote a report containing staff concerns about the rush to medical intervention, which bypassed thorough psychological evaluation.

I did so because I believed the trust tried to bury these important concerns about an experimental treatment of vulnerable children. It also displayed its prejudice by trying to discredit Dr Bell, a respected clinician, and the staff he spoke to.

The treatment of gender- dysphoric children has become highly politicised and, in many ways, operates outside good medical practice. There is pressure to view patients as consumers who have a choice over their gender, rather than people with underlying conflicts about themselves and their relationship with society.

In the absence of long-term outcome studies, services often quote Dutch research that found positive results for transition, ignoring the small size of the cohort. Ten other studies show that 80%-90% of gender-dysphoric children desist in their wish for social or medical transition if given psychological support.

We do not know why there has been such a rapid rise in late-onset gender dysphoria in girls in the past five years, and we show little interest in the damage done by treatment. When I was governor, the Tavistock was not following up children it had seen, and yet we are carrying on as if we know what we are doing.

The mental health services will look back at this episode as another dark chapter in the treatment of people with psychological difficulties.

Marcus Evans, psychoanalyst, former deputy clinical director in adolescent and adult clinical services at the Tavistock and Portman NHS Trust

Wow !
    Spot on !, just wait 5/10 years till the litigation cases start!

Then it will be popcorn time!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,524 ✭✭✭Gynoid

Wow !

I just think it will be sad. The physical pain alone in the fragile human body makes me sad for them. Better to leave the body be and deal with the mental anguish and express gender however one wishes.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

Wow !

its a house of cards that cant fall quickly enough. utter madness.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

If everyone had that attitude, then trans people wouldn't need anyone to jump through hoops for them / show a harmless bit of solidarity with them.
    The problem about it all is how absurd it is that a single pronoun can somehow improve lives so much. One can show respect to any individual without the need for any hoops as easily as one can show disrespect without ever resorting to a pronoun.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,973 ✭✭✭Chris_Heilong

How revolutionary of you but outside of twitter the vast majority of people do believe in gender and sex as being the same. Humans are a binary species.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭Paddy Cow

sydthebeat wrote: »
    That's it in a nut shell.

Those that say gender is a social construction say it as of that's a fact and that we are not supposed to argue against it.
    Gender and sex were interchangeable until "gender studies" became a thing. Then they made up a load of bullsh!t to fill a degree course. They are a scourge on society and are making things worse.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

Paddy Cow wrote: »
    Gender and sex were interchangeable until "gender studies" became a thing. Then they made up a load of bullsh!t to fill a degree course. They are a scourge on society and are making things worse.

Gender being distinct from sex is not a new concept though. While it’s more and more a topic of discussion in modern times, trans gender practices have been part of many cultures for centuries.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

How revolutionary of you but outside of twitter the vast majority of people do believe in gender and sex as being the same. Humans are a binary species.

In theory yes but scientifically even biological sex can have grey areas. Some women are born with a Y chromosome and some men are born with an X chromosome, sometimes more. Then there is hermaphroditism. There is estimated to be 8m people in the world who are intersex.

Things aren’t always black and white in nature. That’s before you consider the psychological factors.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 421 ✭✭HorrorScope

I wouldn’t hire anyone using this bull****, in fact they wouldn’t even make it to interview stage. This is safe space nonsense best left in the confines of the safe spaces and echo chambers of colleges & universities - the real world is a very different place and demanding people call you specific pronouns in direct opposition to your appearance is fairy nonsense.

There are 2 genders - male and female. Anything else is make believe.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭Obvious Desperate Breakfasts

faceman wrote: »
    In theory yes but scientifically even biological sex can have grey areas. Some women are born with a Y chromosome and some men are born with an X chromosome, sometimes more. Then there is hermaphroditism. There is estimated to be 8m people in the world who are intersex.

Things aren’t always black and white in nature. That’s before you consider the psychological factors.

People with those very rare chromosomal karyotypes still tend to slot into one sex categorisation or the other though going by their characteristics.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 183 ✭✭Andreas77

Sex and gender have always been distinct concepts as far as I know. Gender is performative and in many senses, socially constructed. Sex is a biological precondition. If you don't understand the vocabulary you will struggle to make sense of the issues.

Andreas77 wrote: »
    Sex and gender have always been distinct concepts as far as I know. Gender is performative and in many senses, socially constructed. Sex is a biological precondition.

No until 2018/2019 they werent, we’ve let the lunatics run the asylum in the last 2 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,171 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

jimgoose (mickey, Big Swinging)

• Advertisement

jimgoose wrote: »
    jimgoose (mickey, Big Swinging)

Penis (enlarged/wow/much wow)

Advertisement