Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Rebel burger. No, no, no!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,462 ✭✭✭Bob Harris

Whats the joke exactly? That he has been duped into possibly eating meat remnants?

Apparently it's been spelled out below.
    dubrov wrote: »
    To spell it out, if the chipper has that little care for their customers you can be sure their hygiene practices are also poor..Think rat droppings just out of sight under the counter

• Registered Users Posts: 15,731 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

So huge fast food chain introduces vegan burger.

Who the fück cares?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,756 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Anyone know how much they are?
    A whopper is a bit of a guilty pleasure of mine but I avoid red meat for medical reasons. This could be a guilt free pleasure!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,252 ✭✭✭FTA69

bluewolf wrote: »
    I don't really care to be honest and if anything the range of options is super. It's a long way from the days you had to make an expedition to a special food shop somewhere.

It's not about avoiding bread, btw. A lot of sauces like soy sauce are made from wheat. Burgers have a 50 50 chance of having breadcrumbs. A lot of crisps are coated in barley flavouring. All breakfast cereals are coated in it as well. That's aside from cross contamination Etc

No fair enough, I take your point.

I’ve met a few people declaring themselves coeliacs when they’re clearly not and I’m extrapolating too much. I’ll defer to your experience

• Registered Users Posts: 279 ✭✭blueb

everybody hates when vegans go on about us meat eaters being in the wrong!

why give out to vegans about being in the wrong ? its just as annoying.

Burger king have a vegan option.. its not the end of the world. definitely nothing to rant about anyway.

• Advertisement

FTA69 wrote: »
    No fair enough, I take your point.

I’ve met a few people declaring themselves coeliacs when they’re clearly not and I’m extrapolating too much. I’ll defer to your experience

One comes across lots of people avoiding gluten. Do these people, fuctiously, claim to be coeliacs? I find this hard to imagine.
    Also, some coeliacs seem to be more sensitive to gluten than others.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

blueb wrote: »
    everybody hates when vegans go on about us meat eaters being in the wrong!

why give out to vegans about being in the wrong ? its just as annoying.

Burger king have a vegan option.. its not the end of the world. definitely nothing to rant about anyway.
    It's a nice marketing opportunity for them too. Healthy, kind to animals, a place where everyone can now eat!

• Registered Users Posts: 20,174 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

Personally I don't see the necessity to create fake meat out of plant matter, chocolate brownies out of beans, etc. Why can't people eat their self-professed preferences without trying to disguise them as that which they profess to dislike?

jimgoose wrote: »
    Personally I don't see the necessity to create fake meat out of plant matter, chocolate brownies out of beans, etc. Why can't people eat their self-professed preferences without trying to disguise them as that which they profess to dislike?

I love meat.
    I'd also like to eat a meat free whopper if it tasted as good.
    Where's the problem?

dubrov wrote: »
    Most vegetarians are against animal cruelty. They are not allergic to meat.

The joke is on you though if that's the standards your local chippy employs

What as eating meat got to do with animal cruelty, in Ireland we have exceptionally high standards on farms many animals have a much better life than a large number of people. So it’s misguided silliness if they think denying themselves meat and everyone else having to listen to their nonsense is in fact supporting their cause.

• Advertisement

I love meat.
    I'd also like to eat a meat free whopper if it tasted as good.
    Where's the problem?

No problem, it's just that a meat-free Whopper makes about as much sense to me as a glass hammer. :pac:

Actually, alcohol-free beer annoys me slightly as well, I much prefer a ginger ale or fruit juice when I want a non-alcoholic drink.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭sbsquarepants

For much the same reason as people eat burgers as opposed to cows i suppose, taste.

I can get the vegan ideal, people don't want to harm animals and whatnot and no matter what way you look at it there is simply no kindness in killing and eating an animal. I do get it, but i'm not bothered enough to stop eating them. It's their own fault for being so fúcking delicious if you ask me:D

It's just nature in action - i have no problem eating animals, they'll get their chance to eat me one day too and i also have no problem with that.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,727 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

chocolate brownies out of beans

You may not like it if you heard what chocolate is actually made out of

You may not like it if you heard what chocolate is actually made out of

You know well what I mean.

You know well what I mean.

I know that chocolate is made out of cocoa beans bruv

• Registered Users Posts: 1,430 ✭✭✭RWCNT

Most fast food burgers, sausages, processed deli chicken and the like have a very low % of actual meat content anyway, - if anything they're the items that are disguised as something they're not.

A lot of vegetarians still like the taste and texture of meat but object to eating it because of animal cruelty/environmental concerns etc. so fair enough that they want an imitation. Others find the taste, smell and texture of meat disgusting so they'll opt for plant based food that doesn't imitate meat.

Some on here could definitely do with broadening their horizons a bit food-wise. I'm a huge carnivore but some of my favourite restaurants are veggie places. Veggie Indian food in particular is awesome.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭sbsquarepants

What as eating meat got to do with animal cruelty, in Ireland we have exceptionally high standards on farms many animals have a much better life than a large number of people. So it’s misguided silliness if they think denying themselves meat and everyone else having to listen to their nonsense is in fact supporting their cause.

Do you know many people who have been crammed into trucks and driven away to be shot in the head and chopped into pieces?

I eat meat practically every day, but don't talk shíte about it. It is what it is, the animals being killed and eaten are not the lucky ones ffs!

RWCNT wrote: »
    ...Veggie Indian food in particular is awesome.

Absolutely.

Do you know many people who have been crammed into trucks and driven away to be shot in the head and chopped into pieces?

I eat meat practically every day, but don't talk shíte about it. It is what it is, the animals being killed and eaten are not the lucky ones ffs!

They have a quick and painless death which they have no idea is coming. They live very comfortable lives up to this. There is no cruelty whatsoever.
    Indian food in particular is awesome.

Be even better if they added meat though!

...Be even better if they added meat though!

Indian places do several delicious meat dishes. Personal favourites of mine would be beef bhuna gosht, lamb jalfrezi, and the awesome red-hot Tandoori platter the local little place does. But the point is they also have some truly satisfying vegetarian dishes, even for this old velociraptor. :D

• Advertisement

. Veggie Indian food in particular is awesome.

Iyer's?

I know that chocolate is made out of cocoa beans bruv

Kaplan's "Law of the Instrument" springs to mind. Bruv. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 12,204 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

I suddenly understand that South Park episode now

Fcuk Putin. Glory to Ukraine!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,597 ✭✭✭Witchie

They have sold the vegetarian beanburger for ages; at least seven years.

The new product name is commercializing the extinction rebellion movement. Should be called Krusty Burger.

Try over 25 years for the bean burger as it was the last thing I ate before becoming a mammy.

I have been veggie for 30 years but can't do vegan as cheese means too much to me and with my nut, coconut and seeds allergies I can't do the vegan alternatives.

In Malaysia where I live they only recently introduced a veggie burger in McD's and BK but as they are mushroom based, I won't eat them. Mushrooms are the food of the devil. Disgusting yokes.

I am excited to try this non-meat burger but part of me is worried it will taste too much like meat and am not sure I like the flavour of meat anymore.

Oh and as my dad is a proper ceoliac, my sister and her hubby are vegan, my mum and I are veggie and I have all my allergies, we are a real joy to dine out with as a family. :D

*Sits back and watches heads explode*

They have a quick and painless death which they have no idea is coming. They live very comfortable lives up to this. There is no cruelty whatsoever.

Be even better if they added meat though!

Do you know that pigs in Ireland never see the light of day, as in they never go outside? How is that exceptional standards of welfare?

Indian places do several delicious meat dishes. Personal favourites of mine would be beef bhuna gosht, lamb jalfrezi, and the awesome red-hot Tandoori platter the local little place does. But the point is they also have some truly satisfying vegetarian dishes, even for this old velociraptor. :D

Love Indian myself, I like it hot though so lamb or chicken vindaloo or extra hot chicken madras are my favourites.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,858 ✭✭✭Church on Tuesday

Burger King is awful.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,462 ✭✭✭Bob Harris

Burger King is awful.

A BK burger tastes and has the texture of meat.

McDonalds by comparison is lame pasty tasteless gunk.

• Advertisement

Bob Harris wrote: »
    A BK burger tastes and has the texture of meat.

McDonalds by comparison is lame pasty tasteless gunk.

BK used to be quite tasty, but they've really gone to hell in the last few years. McDonald's quarter-pounders are OK-ish, but the little chipper near me does decent, proper ones. Of course the steakburgers I cook at home are, even if I say so myself, peerless. :cool:

Advertisement