Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

RED ROCK [News, Spoilers and Discussion]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,748 ✭✭✭podgeandrodge

Elmo wrote: »
    There is a definitely soapy feel to the new trailer of the show.

Maybe that is why the clip finishes with them saying "our new soap" :)

I think it will be a bit different than run of the mill soaps though, perhaps a bit grittier from what they are saying.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,748 ✭✭✭podgeandrodge

Another trailer on the 3player site...Bad Cop being bad!

http://www.tv3.ie/3player/show/703/88435/1/Red-Rock

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,573 ✭✭✭emanresu esrever

reading an interview with one of the leading females in the show and a couple of things struck my attention as not being very promising for Red Rock......

firstly when discussing her previous roles, the actress cited Amber (rte) as being one of her big roles to date ( she "starred" as a dead body.......)

secondly, when asked if she could ever see herself in Fair City, she responded with something along the lines of.... " im not even thinking about that now, we all know you have to be brilliant to get a role in fair city....."

hmmmm.....

• Registered Users Posts: 4,604 ✭✭✭dave1982

I wonder will it go down "the bill" route?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,284 ✭✭✭George White

reading an interview with one of the leading females in the show and a couple of things struck my attention as not being very promising for Red Rock......

firstly when discussing her previous roles, the actress cited Amber (rte) as being one of her big roles to date ( she "starred" as a dead body.......

hmmmm.....
    Reminds me of this
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HPyrk5jHMtc

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 288 ✭✭TOMs WIFE

dave1982 wrote: »
    I wonder will it go down "the bill" route?

I wouldn't mind if it did a bit.

TOMs WIFE wrote: »
    I wouldn't mind if it did a bit.

no, its very family orientated by look of it... police station is kind of like a plot device in a way. maybe that will change in time but they are going down the "feuding clans" route at the moment........

no, its very family orientated by look of it... police station is kind of like a plot device in a way. maybe that will change in time but they are going down the "feuding clans" route at the moment........

There was an IFTN website article I had read some time back which mentioned a 'crime of the week' story....Mabe they were wrong as you seem sure?

There was an IFTN website article I had read some time back which mentioned a 'crime of the week' story....Mabe they were wrong as you seem sure?

i read that alright. and maybe you are right....... its not as if any other soap has criminal activities ongoing week to week......... ; ) tbh, that sounds a bit odd! what happens, they find out their crime on the first episode of the week and by the end of the second, the baddie is being led away shouting... "i would have got away with it if it wssn't for those pesky gardai" !

we await with baited breath....!

• Registered Users Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

i read that alright. and maybe you are right....... its not as if any other soap has criminal activities ongoing week to week......... ; ) tbh, that sounds a bit odd! what happens, they find out their crime on the first episode of the week and by the end of the second, the baddie is being led away shouting... "i would have got away with it if it wssn't for those pesky gardai" !

we await with baited breath....!

I assume that the series will have arcs and crimes of the week.

I imagine that they will deal with the family plot across the week and this will involve a criminal investigation, meanwhile a crime of the week will occur.

• Advertisement

Elmo wrote: »
    I assume that the series will have arcs and crimes of the week.

I imagine that they will deal with the family plot across the week and this will involve a criminal investigation, meanwhile a crime of the week will occur.

but what is this term "crime of the week"...... . if it is to go down the soap route, stories need to be flowing and keep going for weeks etc. this crime a week thing sounds very murder she wrote! was the Bill a soap? I guess a hospital drama like Shortland Strret may be more akin to what they might be trying to do, except in a garda station. there is a strong family element to it but it is still centred around its focal point, the hospital. i also dont know how the chronological format of the show is going to work. soaps in Ireland/england are generally focused on a daily format manner, ie morning to evening, but given the nature of this show and the fact it only has 2 episodes per week they may cross over to a few days maybe?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,038 ✭✭✭Go Harvey Go

Worth pointing out that The Bill was gritty for the first 15 years of its life, then gradually became more soapy after Tosh Lines died and the theme tune was rearranged...

550w_ds_icons_tosh_lines_1.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 3,074 ✭✭✭pmasterson95

Red Rocks big unveiling clashes with Eastenders at 8.30.......thats a **** up.

• Registered Users Posts: 539 ✭✭✭morebabies

You're right, that's a monumental boo-boo, I'd say when they were planning the launch episode they wouldn't have known of the schedule changes to Eastenders this week, and it would have been too late to change the date once all their promotional stuff was printed. Eastenders will suck in most of their target audience this evening.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,503 ✭✭✭✭Also Starring LeVar Burton

Up against Eastenders again tomorrow as well. Clashes were always going to be inevitable at some point, but I doubt anyone expected it for the first week. I'd assume that Sky+, 3player views etc. are taken into account as well though - people will watch it as there's a lot of buzz around it. Clashes with other soaps shouldn't make all that much of a difference in the long run since the way we watch television has evolved so much in the last decade and if anything Red Rock will probably benefit from being the first soap having that sort of luxury...

Up against Eastenders again tomorrow as well. Clashes were always going to be inevitable at some point, but I doubt anyone expected it for the first week. I'd assume that Sky+, 3player views etc. are taken into account as well though - people will watch it as there's a lot of buzz around it. Clashes with other soaps shouldn't make all that much of a difference in the long run since the way we watch television has evolved so much in the last decade and if anything Red Rock will probably benefit from being the first soap having that sort of luxury...
    Still this must have them infuriated. All that PR and Marketing and money they spent and boom a clash. Not what they spent money on advertising for. They advertised for 8.30 7/1/15....now most people will watch Eastenders thats not in anyway a luxury. If they was no Eastenders they would expect that even casual mildly interested viewers would watch put of curiosity. Now with a clash both times in its debut week thats ****. Diehards might go to the effort of it but I'm sure when TV3 picked these dates and times they expected no clashes. This will inevitably affect ratings this week. If they were relying on 3player they would put it at say 8.00 and not spent half as much on advertising. This is an own goal.

yeah this is a huge concern for them, perhaps they will replay both episodes back to back at a peak time over the weekend to accomodate for it, perhaps Sunday evening,..........................not that TV3 are in the habit of repeating programmes............................. ; )

yeah this is a huge concern for them, perhaps they will replay both episodes back to back at a peak time over the weekend to accomodate for it, perhaps Sunday evening,..........................not that TV3 are in the habit of repeating programmes............................. ; )
    Yeah point is they needed to spend about 1/4 of whatever money advertising the show if they are just gunna rely on repeats/player for people to watch. I doubt they wanted to promote the player/reruns. Othereise just air it at the same time as say emmerdale.

Yeah point is they needed to spend about 1/4 of whatever money advertising the show if they are just gunna rely on repeats/player for people to watch. I doubt they wanted to promote the player/reruns. Othereise just air it at the same time as say emmerdale.

well it wasn't planned, just an unfortunate turn of events...... i am sure BBC bosses are equally concerned...!! They messed up by relying too long on ITV to bring in their ratings, they should have preempted this situation re UTV I and tbh I haven't much sympathy for the station. Been spouting out cr$p and repeats for far too long, no creativity at all. Ireland AM was a relative success, I amn't sure what the figures are for Expose but the rest is imported rubish for most part

this is an error actually. eastenders 2 episodes tomorrow. doesnt clash tonight

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,670 ✭✭✭thesultan

When is it repeated?

thesultan wrote: »
    When is it repeated?

Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday, Friday and Sunday. There will be a highlights proframme Saturday and at when the series inevitably flops and ends in two years repeats will be twice daily for the next decade.

TV3peat :rolleyes: :D

Ps, I dont work for Fair City....................................... ; )

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,175 ✭✭✭hoodwinked

this is an error actually. eastenders 2 episodes tomorrow. doesnt clash tonight

yes it does, Eastenders schedule is all over the place, (and since when is corrie back on Wednesdays? )

tonight on RTE 1 Eastenders is on at 7.30 (clashing with corrie)
    tonight on BBC 1 Eastenders is on at 8.30 (clashing with Red Rock)

tomorrow night there is Eastenders on BBC 1 at 7.30 & 8.30 again clashing with Red rock.
    tomorrow night on RTE 1 Eastenders is on at 7.00 - 8.00 (clashing with Emmerdale)

for me i really wanted to watch Red Rock, so i am going to record it on sky and watch EE (no ads) and then after watch red rock and skip the ads :D

I am predicting this is going to flop big time! Tv3 has no precedence for homegrown drama success, i believe?

Ill have a look but i dont have high hopes.

noones criticizing it. i just anticipate, on balance of probabilities, the odds are it won't be a big success for reasons i have stated above.

firstly when discussing her previous roles, the actress cited Amber (rte) as being one of her big roles to date ( she "starred" as a dead body.......)

secondly, when asked if she could ever see herself in Fair City, she responded with something along the lines of.... " im not even thinking about that now, we all know you have to be brilliant to get a role in fair city....."

hmmmm.....
    There will be a highlights proframme Saturday and at when the series inevitably flops and ends in two years repeats will be twice daily for the next decade.

TV3peat :rolleyes: :D

You certainly seem negative about a TV station that, in my opinion, is at least having a go at creating new Irish television content, supporting Irish actors and Irish jobs. I'm going to at least give it a chance and, for the reasons above, I hope it does well. You appear to relish the thought of it failing for some reason.

And even if I don't like it I certainly will still give them kudos for trying. I can't see it being any worse than any other soap to be honest!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 274 ✭✭Bootros Bootros

The promo looked promising. Let's hope they can do something.

You certainly seem negative about a TV station that, in my opinion, is at least having a go at creating new Irish television content, supporting Irish actors and Irish jobs. I'm going to at least give it a chance and, for the reasons above, I hope it does well. You appear to relish the thought of it failing for some reason.

And even if I don't like it I certainly will still give them kudos for trying. I can't see it being any worse than any other soap to be honest!

I'm just saying, why did it take them so long to be creative. Its like a soccer team defending, in the hope of getting a draw, parking the bus. Then they concede and thow everything at attack! Strange analogy but kind of works!

I dont care if it does well or not, patriotism or not. If it does, kudos, but I just think Tv3 hasn't exactly promoted much homegrown talent, in the way of drama for the last 13 years or however long it has been on (?) so i dont have too much empathy towards them now to be honest!

I dont want it to fail, nor do i care if it succeds, I have no association to the show! my words have no influence, and tbh I actually do think it will be worth a watch but I think it may run out of steam!

hoodwinked wrote: »
    yes it does, Eastenders schedule is all over the place, (and since when is corrie back on Wednesdays? )

tonight on RTE 1 Eastenders is on at 7.30 (clashing with corrie)
    tonight on BBC 1 Eastenders is on at 8.30 (clashing with Red Rock)

tomorrow night there is Eastenders on BBC 1 at 7.30 & 8.30 again clashing with Red rock.
    tomorrow night on RTE 1 Eastenders is on at 7.00 - 8.00 (clashing with Emmerdale)

for me i really wanted to watch Red Rock, so i am going to record it on sky and watch EE (no ads) and then after watch red rock and skip the ads :D

sorry, was looking only at RTE schedules, as majority of Irish viewers will be to be honest.

it will be a lot worse if it was clashing with RTE eastenders

• Closed Accounts Posts: 234 ✭✭Dirty Steve

The promo was very well done, but I doubt they have the budget to continually produce a high quality programme.

Having said that, I doubt it'd be hard to make something better then Fair City.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,408 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

Up against Eastenders for some reason.

Advertisement