Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Travel Card Recommendations - Not N26 or Revolut

• 17-11-2019 11:32pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,950 ✭✭✭

Hi,

Travelling to South America at the end of this month. I want to keep a spread of money across a few cards just in case. Does anybody have any recommendations on cards that may be useful for travelling.

If there is an app interface that makes depositing and withdrawing money onto the card similar to revolut it would be very helpful.

I cannot go Revolut as their customer service is appalling. It is all Chatbot based and it seems they cannot comprehend the issue have.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭AngryLips

Their chat bot offers you the option to chat to a live agent. All you have to do is type live agent and someone eventually gets back to you.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,307 ✭✭✭whomitconcerns

Used revolut all over the world and never had the issues you mention. Everyone else will be lesser...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,943 ✭✭✭fdevine

+1 for Revolut. Flawless. Everywhere
    Never any issues with N26 either
    Monese is a third but haven't used it yet

Prepaid AnPost card or similr would be far less flexible

• Closed Accounts Posts: 890 ✭✭✭Johnny Sausage

Bunq is an option, and their coded as a credit card

revolut would be my preference though

• Registered Users Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭abarkie

Monzo or starling, not sure if available in Ireland

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,950 ✭✭✭ChikiChiki

AngryLips wrote: »
    Their chat bot offers you the option to chat to a live agent. All you have to do is type live agent and someone eventually gets back to you.

I should clarify, their phone line is all automated and they told me to log into the app to go on live chat. Therein lies the issue. I don't have the pin so can't get into the app.

I had Revolut before and it was excellent. It is this frustrating seemingly unsolvable issue with the pin and an old phone number that was tied to the account.

• Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 5,725 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quackster

Take a look at Curve. There's no topping up involved, it basically passes each transaction on to your saved credit/debit card in real time. It takes care of any FX conversation in the process.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,380 ✭✭✭fletch

fdevine wrote: »
    +1 for Revolut. Flawless. Everywhere
    Never any issues with N26 either
    Revolut is useless in Brazil (not sure about the rest of South America) but I was there recently and it didn't work anywhere (save for one ATM in the airport). Most Brazilians use N26.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,890 ✭✭✭grimm2005

ChikiChiki wrote: »
    I should clarify, their phone line is all automated and they told me to log into the app to go on live chat. Therein lies the issue. I don't have the pin so can't get into the app.

I had Revolut before and it was excellent. It is this frustrating seemingly unsolvable issue with the pin and an old phone number that was tied to the account.

FYI there's a forgotten PIN option on login where you can reset it (https://www.revolut.com/help/profile/i-forgot-my-passcode), once you've done this you should be able to login and use live chat to get on to an agent. I usually just type "i want to speak to a human" and it connects me into a queue straight away. Have never had any issues myself with the agents via the app.

Advertisement