24-02-2018, 21:34   #31
Alex Worby

Hi Paul and other descendants of James J Kelly.
We are trying to establish whether James had an older brother Terence who also was a Justice of the Peace and jeweller/pawnbroker at Fleet Street.
We are descendants of Terence Kelly.

Thanks
Alex
Advertisement
24-02-2018, 21:37   #32
Alex Worby

Quote:
Originally Posted by akiva.mahon View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by myonehere View Post
I can tell you that James J Kelly was certainly still around in 1923 and giving his address as 35 Upper Camden Street [Although I seem to remember reading somewhere that, by then, he was living at a large house on the outskirts of Dublin.

This is proven from the original logbook of one of the vintage cars I own– James J Kelly was the first owner entry and he gives the tobacco shop address in Upper Camden St.. The owner changed in 1934 [9 years was quite a long time to own a car then] to a Mr Patrick Hession and then to Henry Barlee – both also of Dublin.

We must assume that [Alderman] James Kelly was still reasonably well-off in 1923 to have the wherewithal to be able to purchase a car new – and a Bugatti at that!

I should be most interested to hear of anyone knows any further about any of these gentlemen or, indeed, cars in general in Dublin during 1923!
I'm one of Alderman James Kelly grandchildren, from my mother's side, nee Marie Kelly. As far as we know Mr. Kelly had no children from his first wife. He remarried, don't know exactly when and from his second marriage he had five children. My mother was born in 1925, the eldest of the five. What I understood from my mother, aside from dealing in tobacco he also invested in the stock market. He went bankrupt in 1939. A large majority of his stocks were from the Marconi electronic company and because of the connection with the Mussolini regime their stocks failed. Two of his daughters are still alive, namely Maeve Burket and Patricia Ellison. Mr. Kelly passed away in 1954.

Home  Topics  Society & Culture  History & Heritage

Calling all amateur Easter 1916 Rising historians.

REPLY UNFOLLOW 

Joined: Today 21:18View public profileSend a PM to Alex WorbyFind more posts by Alex Worby" data-original-title="Alex Worby" style="box-sizing: border-box; max-height: 1000000px; background-color: transparent; color: rgb(55, 147, 115); text-decoration: none; transition: all 0.2s linear; -webkit-transition: all 0.2s linear; outline: none !important; font-weight: bold;">Alex WorbyRegistered User

Today 21:34#31

We are trying to establish whether James had an older brother Terence who also was a Justice of the Peace and jeweller/pawnbroker at Fleet Street. 

Thanks 
Alex
17-01-2021, 17:11   #33
myonehere

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex Worby View Post

Home  Topics  Society & Culture  History & Heritage

Calling all amateur Easter 1916 Rising historians.

REPLY UNFOLLOW 

Joined: Today 21:18View public profileSend a PM to Alex WorbyFind more posts by Alex Worby" data-original-title="Alex Worby" style="box-sizing: border-box; max-height: 1000000px; background-color: transparent; color: rgb(55, 147, 115); text-decoration: none; transition: all 0.2s linear; -webkit-transition: all 0.2s linear; outline: none !important; font-weight: bold;">Alex WorbyRegistered User

Today 21:34#31

Thanks 
Alex
I am still very interested in any information anyone has on James J Kelly of Saint Gatien's, Rathfarnham and of Upper Camden St, Dublin
MAny thanks

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion