Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Combine 2 houses into 1

Options
  • 08-03-2021 9:40am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,342 ✭✭✭

Just toying with an idea here.
    Say you have one small house on a row, and an adjacent house comes to the market.
    You want to buy it and knock through, to create one larger house.

Do you think you could ever arrange things to have a single Local Property Tax for the 1 larger house and not pay LPT for 2 houses?
    What about insurance, would they ever accept things as 1 house?
    ESB? - you'd probably save on having a single service charge for the 1 house rather than 2 separate meters.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,943 ✭✭✭3DataModem

It has been done, but you'd need to speak to a solicitor as there would be planning implications.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,213 ✭✭✭Mic 1972

Doubling the size of my house and getting rid of the next door neighbors, I would love to do that!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,436 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

BluePlanet wrote: »
    Just toying with an idea here.
    Say you have one small house on a row, and an adjacent house comes to the market.
    You want to buy it and knock through, to create one larger house.

Do you think you could ever arrange things to have a single Local Property Tax for the 1 larger house and not pay LPT for 2 houses?
    What about insurance, would they ever accept things as 1 house?
    ESB? - you'd probably save on having a single service charge for the 1 house rather than 2 separate meters.

Yes. Planning required.
    Then just have to go through the motions of the utilities.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,086 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

You’d need planning permission and a solicitor to draft new deeds for the property and sort out land registry. Then you’d just have to reconfigure the internal layout to make it work

• Registered Users Posts: 3,160 ✭✭✭KaneToad

I think some family did this on that Dermot Bannon show. They bought the neighbouring semi D and created a single house.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,530 ✭✭✭tscul32

House near me like that. Was 2 semi d's, now one big detached house.

• Administrators Posts: 53,357 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Surely this would be an expensive thing to do? Not only do you need to buy the house, but the interior will need completely gutted if you want to turn it into something sensible (i.e. you don't want 6/8 average sized bedrooms with 2 kitchens, 2 utility rooms, 6 bathrooms and 2 dining rooms etc).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,530 ✭✭✭tscul32

For anyone interested, F08A/1435 is the planning reference for fingalcoco planning section https://fingalcoco.maps.arcgis.com/apps/webappviewer/index.html?id=3fa7d9df584c4d93aab202638db9dd1a for 2 houses that became 1, floor plans included.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,342 ✭✭✭BluePlanet

awec wrote: »
    Surely this would be an expensive thing to do? Not only do you need to buy the house, but the interior will need completely gutted if you want to turn it into something sensible (i.e. you don't want 6/8 average sized bedrooms with 2 kitchens, 2 utility rooms, 6 bathrooms and 2 dining rooms etc).

It's a fixer upper already.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,382 ✭✭✭1874

Might want to look into the electrical supply aspects, while not insurmountable, there could be issues if 2 electrical supplies from 2 different houses got joined.
    Not an electrician, but am somewhat familiar with electrical theory, the supplies for house are single phase, if the house is out on its own somewhere it may be less of an issue, but if located near other houses or in an estate, the single phases to houses is shared/spread/balanced (whatever way you want to word it) from three separate phases.
    Overall it may not affect things disconnecting one supply and joining it through one supply, but if keeping 2 supplies separate you'd have 2 phases out of sync so Id hazard a guess the electricity network would have to be consulted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,177 ✭✭✭Ubbquittious

awec wrote: »

It depends on the use. You could turf out the beds from the bedrooms and make offices out of them quickly. The kitchen can become a scullery. Keep the bathrooms as spare. Really all you need to do is put a hole in the wall and join the electricity to save a few bob.

I know a place where two were knocked into one but the houses were very small so wouldn't have been very hard to do

Advertisement