Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Running Related Stuff To Get You Through The Corona Crisis

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,419 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,495 ✭✭✭Laineyfrecks

Murph_D wrote: »

That easily could have been about me last year ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,015 ✭✭✭Itziger

I'll put this here. Some might find it interesting. There's the athletics angle, the football angle, and the Alicia angle.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Jl5qPRORgE

A 400mt challenge.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,694 ✭✭✭Chivito550

Itziger wrote: »
    I'll put this here. Some might find it interesting. There's the athletics angle, the football angle, and the Alicia angle.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Jl5qPRORgE

A 400mt challenge.

Hard to figure out how fast he ran as they edited out bits of the race. She's a low 52 runner but was definitely holding back. 54/55 for her. Maybe 58 for him?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,182 ✭✭✭demfad

Folks.

Any ideas for Covid-19 restrictions related templates for events or has it been done to death?

eg chipped timetrial/races over a set course.

-(Level 3) one race per hour with 15 people.
    -mini races to get racing in + overall timetrial times.
    -Next races seeded based on last times.

Covid-19 controls might included two arrival/departure carpark places so two consecutive races dont intermingle.

Might be useful for club races or an alterative official or unoffical event.

Any thoughts? Other ideas?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,694 ✭✭✭Chivito550

demfad wrote: »
    Folks.

Any ideas for Covid-19 restrictions related templates for events or has it been done to death?

eg chipped timetrial/races over a set course.

-(Level 3) one race per hour with 15 people.
    -mini races to get racing in + overall timetrial times.
    -Next races seeded based on last times.

Covid-19 controls might included two arrival/departure carpark places so two consecutive races dont intermingle.

Might be useful for club races or an alterative official or unoffical event.

Any thoughts? Other ideas?

I'd save your energy and not bother trying to organise anything, as negative as that may sound. Level 5 is only a matter of time and you'll only cause yourself lots of headaches. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 3,182 ✭✭✭demfad

Chivito550 wrote: »
    I'd save your energy and not bother trying to organise anything, as negative as that may sound. Level 5 is only a matter of time and you'll only cause yourself lots of headaches. :(

I know, but something to prepare for and look forward to late winter/early spring etc when hopefully the skies clear a little.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,845 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

Chivito550 wrote: »

Sadly I agree, Time to.settle down for xmas and some easy running

What I don't quite get is why people aren't (maybe they are!) organising little challenges with the max amount of runners allowed. In June I think it was, a few of us organised a 5k and then a 10k 'race'. There were 8 or 10 of us for the 5k and half a dozen for the 10k. There wasn't that big a gap in terms of times and ability. I can imagine clubs would have more runners very close in that regard - we were just a loose group of running buddies.

I guess anything less than 6 runners and it starts to lose its appeal.

We might look to do a marathon next month actually cos a few of us were planning to do Metz this Sunday and it got cancelled with 4 days notice! I'll have to get the all clear from the Doc, and more importantly, the wife before doing it.

World Half Marathon starting on YouTube right now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,963 ✭✭✭opus

• Registered Users Posts: 1,527 ✭✭✭py

For those who have read "Born to Run", this is a 30 for 30 documentary on the Tarahumara tribe airing today in the US.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,204 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

New US outdoor (under 20) 5k record from Jenna Hutchins. 15:34.47.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,204 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

No better place to train. The sand dunes are savage. Amazing beach to run on and then the forest

Dunno. Sand is very tough on the achilles for auld midpackers like me.

Dunno. Sand is very tough on the achilles for auld midpackers like me.

There is hard sand for is auld lads

• Registered Users Posts: 2,670 ✭✭✭4Ad

https://youtu.be/1aygs4EPbAU

Gary Robbins 100 mile run..
    Some stunning scenery !!

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭Snodge

Hi all,

Does anybody know of anyone or any gyms who has or would be renting out gym equipment (bar,freeweights) during level 5 restrictions for the month of January ?

Thanks in advance

• Registered Users Posts: 2,181 ✭✭✭healy1835

As everyone's yearning for races seems to be increasing by the day, I find myself trawling YouTube for major marathon TV broadcasts just to remind/inspire myself of the buzz of a big race day.

Came across footage, complete with splits, from the lead vehicles of Bekele's near miss at the Marathon WR in Berlin last time out.

Prob not for everyone, but I enjoyed it. Quality of picture really gives you a good taste of Berlin on marathon day.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3x6vciFm-CI

• Advertisement

Top coaching tip in Viz Comic...

http://viz.co.uk/2014/09/25/901/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 67 ✭✭API

Top coaching tip in Viz Comic...

http://viz.co.uk/2014/09/25/901/

Jez that brings me back. I remember when I was a teenager I used to go into Virgin Megastore on the quays and spend all my wages from my p/t job in a video shop on Viz t-shirts.

Well, Kipchoge's story is getting the Hollywood treatment.

Well, Kipchoge's story is getting the Hollywood treatment.

The product placement is strong in that one.

The product placement is strong in that one.

Just Sell It.™

Advertisement