Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Currently buying/selling a house? How is it going? READ MOD NOTE POST #1

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭JamesMason

Sono wrote: »
    Viewed the latest phase of Belltree in D13 yesterday, very underwhelming to say the least, wasn’t impressed at all.
    Location, finish/spec? Can you elaborate please?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,372 ✭✭✭Sono

JamesMason wrote: »
    Location, finish/spec? Can you elaborate please?

Did you view them yourself?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,629 ✭✭✭jrosen

Buying ourselves and have had asking price refused.
    Agents setting prices and telling the sellers they will get more so not to accept. We had one offer accepted only to be called later that night requesting another 10k or the deal was off.

Houses in the 320ish bracket seem to attract the largest viewing from what our broker has told us. A friend in work has been out bid 15 times in the last 4 months by between 20 and 30K.

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭Empty_Space

jrosen wrote: »
    Buying ourselves and have had asking price refused.
    Agents setting prices and telling the sellers they will get more so not to accept. We had one offer accepted only to be called later that night requesting another 10k or the deal was off.

Houses in the 320ish bracket seem to attract the largest viewing from what our broker has told us. A friend in work has been out bid 15 times in the last 4 months by between 20 and 30K.

15 times, wow disheartening.

Is his bids a good bit over asking price?

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭davedub2015

Have heard alot lately about buyers agreeing a price. After the survey is done they try to get money of due to something small ie a small leak in ceiling due to a tile damaged or a boundry wall falling down out the bacm garden so it needs to be rebuilt. is this the norm now people agree and then try to cut price down? Have heard lots of buyers doing it lately

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,327 ✭✭✭beggars_bush

ZX7R wrote: »
    Inform your solicitor, you may get some money off the price,
    But it might not be worth the hassle.

Have been informed today that the vendor is also removing all the white goods from the house, which were meant to come with the sale.

He's a lad with numerous rental properties

• Registered Users Posts: 3,426 ✭✭✭ZX7R

Have been informed today that the vendor is also removing all the white goods from the house, which were meant to come with the sale.

He's a lad with numerous rental properties

I'd definitely be talking to your solicitor if has was priced fully furnished on the market.
    When you say white goods fridge washing machine ect

• Registered Users Posts: 15 spiralout

Just about to get mortgage approval so we can start seriously looking for a house. Had kept an eye on a few houses while saving our deposit last year but they have since gone out of our reach in price. We'll have small mortgage so trying to find value will be difficult. Exciting times ahead.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,479 ✭✭✭Kamili

spiralout wrote: »
    Just about to get mortgage approval so we can start seriously looking for a house. Had kept an eye on a few houses while saving our deposit last year but they have since gone out of our reach in price. We'll have small mortgage so trying to find value will be difficult. Exciting times ahead.

best of luck and keep your wits about you!

• Registered Users Posts: 295 ✭✭gourcuff

just bought in rathfarnham and moving out of apartment now, stressful organising the move and painters etc.

hopefully get our full deposit back off landlord

torn between doing lots of work to the place or the minimal amount as we dont see ourselves staying in dublin long term or raising kids in dubln..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,913 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

No harm if you can get a reduction in price due to this, as I'd rather buy my own white goods rather than use someone else's fridge freezer, washing machine, dishwasher etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭Cocobeans101

Does anyone else feel like stock is really low. We are nearly at March but there doesn't really seem to be a lot of new houses?

I'm finally sale agreed. I've lost out in bidding on 5 houses. This house has been on the market for 6 months. The pictures didn't impress me much but when I finally visited the house (more out of desperation), I really loved it. I bid on it and as the EA knew me. He rang me and said that they were going to take it off the market unless someone came close to asking. I bid more and was accepted. I might have been played. Who knows? I'm tired looking at houses if I'm honest.

These guys brought in 2008 and spent a small fortune renovating it. I can see why they are reluctant to sell. They must be losing their shirts. They are downsizing so price really did matter.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,327 ✭✭✭beggars_bush

NIMAN wrote: »
    No harm if you can get a reduction in price due to this, as I'd rather buy my own white goods rather than use someone else's fridge freezer, washing machine, dishwasher etc.

I've decided to go ahead with the sale anyway. vendor was not for turning, though I feel the house will be stripped to the bare bones once we get it

• Registered Users Posts: 3,287 ✭✭✭givyjoe

Does anyone else feel like stock is really low. We are nearly at March but there doesn't really seem to be a lot of new houses?

I'm finally sale agreed. I've lost out in bidding on 5 houses. This house has been on the market for 6 months. The pictures didn't impress me much but when I finally visited the house (more out of desperation), I really loved it. I bid on it and as the EA knew me. He rang me and said that they were going to take it off the market unless someone came close to asking. I bid more and was accepted. I might have been played. Who knows? I'm tired looking at houses if I'm honest.

These guys brought in 2008 and spent a small fortune renovating it. I can see why they are reluctant to sell. They must be losing their shirts. They are downsizing so price really did matter.

its been the same for the last few months, there seemed to a drop off from around October. Really noticing the lack of new properties at the moment. Actually went and signed up for alerts on Daft. The alerts info message stated I should expect to receive around 34 emails per day, based on my criteria. I received 3.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,679 ✭✭✭Irish Gunner

We have just sold and bought a house in Dublin

Lessons learned

Try not to get to attached and think of Phantom bidders etc. Asking price for house suddenly went up 30k and then seller asked for more, and we had to bid against ourselfs.:mad::mad: Its a sellers market out there
    I dont think there is something as a dream house so dont limit yourselfs be open
    Be prepared for delays with solicitors and all the legal mumbo jumbo. Also shop around as different solicitors different charges
    Choose estate agent get 3 different quotes if selling dont always go for the highest check out fees
    When buying ensure that the contracts have what you get ie curtains, fridge etc. We bought a house and the sellers took the shelves I mean who takes shelves??
    If buying estate agents can be right A holes and just interested in the $$$. Not to tarnish them all with the same brush most we met where decent
    Visit the banks and see what they offer and rates and speak to them direclty
    Get all your financial statements, bills, Salary certs in order as can delay approval
    Be prepared for disagreements and arguments with partner:rolleyes:

Last one maybe not relevant but emotions do run high :D

Good luck to anyone doing it Im glad its all over for us

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭tallaghtjoe

We are selling at moment. House has been on the market since last August. We changed estate agents after 5 months after having no viewings. We probably allowed them too much time thinking back, but they kept giving us excuses about the market been slow. We changed to a different agent around Christmas time, he has arranged 3 viewings since, but not one arranged a second view.

Really nice house in very good condition and could move straight in without decorating. It is in a village but is commuting distance to a couple of larger towns.

We have already dropped the price of the house and would prefer not to have to drop it any further.

Not sure what to do at this stage, any ideas?

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭Cocobeans101

I think you should lower your ask price. Ideally you need to get people to the viewings and get a bidding war going. You have had people show up but there are a lot of tyre kickers. We looked for a year before we were in a position to buy.

I would also lower my ask earlier rather than later. You don't want to look desperate to sell.

Then the basics, make sure the house is clean and smell free. It's obvious but I can't count the houses that stank of smoke or pets.

Good luck. I do think the market is slow though. Took us nearly 8 months to sell last year in a highly desirable area of Dublin. Our sale agreed fell through just as contracts were going to be signed. We had to go back to market and accepted a much reduced offering.

• Registered Users Posts: 332 ✭✭trigger26

At contracts signed stage at the moment and waiting on vendor's solicitor to send back the paperwork, defo echo that there are delays on top of delays with getting things done. I know vendors solicitors only work 2-3 days a week and I ended up hand delivering the mortgage offer as the bank were saying they've sent 2 copies out already but no show. Anyways, nearly there, I will not be moving in the near future and hopefully will be still married...

• Registered Users Posts: 9,152 ✭✭✭limnam

We have already dropped the price of the house and would prefer not to have to drop it any further.

Is it priced correctly?

It's generally the price.

• Registered Users Posts: 255 ✭✭bluelamp

If the advert is good, decent pictures taken at a bright time of day, arranged in a logical order, house is in good condition - then it's too expensive for current market conditions.

Bear in mind that dropping your price doesn't mean that you have to accept that amount, drop it a couple of percent below what you'd accept, push the estate agent to do a saturday viewing - and make sure its advertised on the daft / myhome from at least the wednesday beforehand.

Generating interest and getting people in the door is the first aim.

I do get the feeling that the secondhand market peaked in the first half of last year.

• Advertisement

limnam wrote: »
    Is it priced correctly?

It's generally the price.

We did consider the area/location, what we spent on the house and the condition of the house.

There has only been a small number of houses that sold in our area over the last year or so, and have sold for close to what we are asking for, but they are not a similar style house. Looks like this is something we will have to review again.

• Registered Users Posts: 782 ✭✭✭Dolbhad

We did consider the area/location, what we spent on the house and the condition of the house.

There has only been a small number of houses that sold in our area over the last year or so, and have sold for close to what we are asking for, but they are not a similar style house. Looks like this is something we will have to review again.

I would drop the price. The main thing is to get the viewings in. You don’t have to do for the lower price - hopefully it creates visits and bids can start coming in.

Also how is the auctioneer - are the easy to reach? As a potential purchaser I’ve had some issues arranging viewings and having auctioneers get back to me. I’d have to follow up two or three times. So I’d only do if I know I could really like the house.

And then be flexible if viewings. Maybe hold an open viewing on a Saturday or some weekday evening and see who turns up.

• Registered Users Posts: 610 ✭✭✭JustMe,K

We are selling at moment. House has been on the market since last August. We changed estate agents after 5 months after having no viewings. We probably allowed them too much time thinking back, but they kept giving us excuses about the market been slow. We changed to a different agent around Christmas time, he has arranged 3 viewings since, but not one arranged a second view.

Really nice house in very good condition and could move straight in without decorating. It is in a village but is commuting distance to a couple of larger towns.

A couple of years ago we tried to view a house (numerous) times and no matter what availability we gave the estate agent could not accommodate us. It was bizarre but the agent was based quite a bit away from the area the house was in and we assumed that had a part to play in it all. I wonder is this similar? Can you try an open house viewing on a Saturday maybe for a couple of hours?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,108 ✭✭✭TheSheriff

Can echo some of the above comments, we've spotted a house about two months back we liked the look of, both myself and my girlfriend have been unable to arrange a viewing with the estate agent....it's strange , almost as if they don't want to show people it.

• Registered Users Posts: 280 ✭✭anplaya27

Spotted a perfect house, rang estate agents, came with catch of tenants in situ. Get to fcuk, why not advertise it as that instead of wasting my time.Probably owners and all looking to sell but dont want to move out.

• Registered Users Posts: 290 ✭✭Mac-Chops

I found similar issues in that estate agents would only allow viewing through open viewings to try whip up a bit of a frenzy on the day. If it was a 2nd or 3rd viewing then we were able to arrange a private visit.

Just my own observations in the area we bought in last year seemed to have went very quiet in the summer with a number of 'for sale' signs up for months and months.
    As of this month then, there are now 3 other signs gone up and lots of activity in the recent open viewings on stormy Saturdays. So while it might just be coincidence, things look to be ramping up again for Spring/Summer which you'd expect.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,152 ✭✭✭limnam

I'd make sure if you're having problems with EA's to pop a letter to the owner and advise them

A lot of sellers don't know how lazy and incompetent some of the EA's are

Just a quick note advising you want to view and having a lot of problems with contact details

Thanks for all the replies. We had a chat yesterday evening and my husband is really against dropping the price any further. Anyway I have left him to think about it. The house is currently advertised at €225k for 4 bed detached (1800 sq ft).

We have decided to go for an open viewing in a few weeks and will consider the price before we advertise for this.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,429 ✭✭✭Woshy

givyjoe wrote: »
    its been the same for the last few months, there seemed to a drop off from around October. Really noticing the lack of new properties at the moment. Actually went and signed up for alerts on Daft. The alerts info message stated I should expect to receive around 34 emails per day, based on my criteria. I received 3.

Yeah, we actually went sale agreed on a place last week but I haven't stopped the alerts yet. For the last 4-5 months there are very few properties going on the market and any that are aren't suitable for us (e.g .they're apartments). I am getting an alert about once every two weeks at the moment.

We had similar happen and unfortunately it's just the price. We found that if the house was priced too high ( which it was in our case) it discouraged people from making offers as they prob thought we wanted above asking price like lots of sellers do. So we just didn't get the offers when actually we were open to them as we wanted rid of the house. We did get an offer in the end 45k under the original asking price (and we were delighted) and the house sold. It's frustrating, I know when you just want to sell your house and nothing is happening.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,149 ✭✭✭beanyb

I've had an offer in on a house at 10k below asking for about 3 weeks. It's been on the market a month now and I am still the only offer. Doesn't seem like they have had huge interest at viewings either.

Last week, the estate agent asked if I would go up to asking to go sale agreed as the vendor was hanging on for asking. Since I was generally willing to pay asking, I said I would but only if we go sale agreed immediately. Now the vendor has decided they actually want to hold out for more. I've withdrawn my increased offer but am raging that they asked me to do this to go sale agreed and now have changed their minds!

Advertisement