Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

RTE on 252 to continue

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 59 ✭✭Cube98

Listeners to Sunday morning mass on dab are being advised to retune to Longwave

• Registered Users Posts: 2,199 ✭✭✭tinytobe

It wouldn't surprise me that it's the catholic church which is behind the financing of the continuation of the 252 LW transmitter.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,156 ✭✭✭KaneToad

Good luck to them, if it is. Their club is losing members at a pace. Can't see them being much of a feature in Irish life in 50 yrs time...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,105 ✭✭✭Ger Roe

That is an article from 2019, saying that the upgrade on the antenna system will guarantee the service continues 'for a minimum of two years'. The work was only undertaken earlier this year and the minister for Communications quoted in the article as saying that he will work to ensure the service continues... is no longer holding that position.

In today's context, and thanks to the recent site works undertaken, the service is continuing. The question is for how long?

I've said it before, I'll say it again, the biggest mistake RTE ever made was putting Radio 1 on LW in the first place, the lack of LW on most new domestic and car radios sold the past 2 decades means that very few people can actually listen to it even if they wanted to. They should have kept 567 & 612 MW, RTE Radio 1 should still be on 567 and RTE Gold should be on 612.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,199 ✭✭✭tinytobe

The problem is that the 252 doesn't have the same power as it used to have. It doesn't even cover the UK properly. So if the intention is to reach the Irish living in the UK they are failing with that LW transmitter.

Yes LW radios are rare in cars these days. I think the French cars had them a bit longer, as there were a couple of stations using LW. Europe 1 has turned of the LW, same as RMC. RTL on 234 is the only one from France left.

Advertisement