Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Who is funding Spirit Radio ?

Options
  • 20-04-2015 9:00pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 297 ✭✭

Who is really bank rolling that farce of a radio staion ? Why have the bai allowed them get away with so much

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 643 ✭✭✭Geniass

Get away with what?

They have sponsors and don't pay as much for the infrastructure AFAIK.

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭tessat

Get this, from the wiki page they are a registered charity and survives on donations and volunteers.
    http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spirit_Radio

• Closed Accounts Posts: 297 ✭✭John Joe Jones

Geniass wrote: »
    Get away with what?

They got their licence on the basis of being an national Medium wave station in the republic of Ireland, yet their only mw transmitter has better coverage in another jurisdiction.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭Expunge

According to this.. http://www.spiritradio.ie/about/public-financial/

SPIRIT costs 37,000 a month to run.
    Cheap as chips with all those FM transmitters, I would have thought.

Remember, spend spend and God will send!:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,088 ✭✭✭SpaceTime

Cork is a bit overloaded with religious radio. We've Spirit and Life FM.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,077 ✭✭✭parasite

Again from the Spirit website..........

"Our board of directors are unpaid and represent a broad spectrum of the Christian community. Spirit Radio is a Not For Profit organisation and has charitable status."

Also, all the directors names and images are there for all the world to see, including Dermot Mannion (Aer Lingus fame) and Sean Ashmore (4FM/Sunshine) and many others.

It's not so much their existence that bothers me. It's what sort of an audience are they trying to attract? As I write this, I'm hearing Olly Murs and piss poor presentation. They also play a lot of annoying US Contemporary Christian music.

What is Spirit Radio? A station for US style Christian Evangelicals or Irish Catholics?
    'Cause I don't think you can super serve both in this country.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,618 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Expunge wrote: »
    What is Spirit Radio? A station for US style Christian Evangelicals or Irish Catholics?
    'Cause I don't think you can super serve both in this country.

Its definitely not aimed at Catholics.

L1011 wrote: »

It's aimed at Christians, of which Catholics are a subset.

Well, that might be the problem so.
    A bit more Rosary reciting and 'Faith of Our Fathers' type content might bring a bigger flock - old time religion, you might say.

All that Protestant Scripture quoting and Christian Rock from Georgia and Alabama will do nothing for the underserved traditional Catholics in the Rep of Ireland.

Likewise, bonging bells and auld wans (of both sexes) on their knees reciting Catholic prayers will not entice the Evangelicals.

There's probably a larger audience to be had chasing older Catholics than Evangelicals in the Republic of Ireland. Although, the age profile would be high.

• Advertisement

Bit more than a subset in the Republic of Ireland, I would have thought.

Still 85 per cent (nominally) RC, according to the last Census.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,618 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Its very much evangelical, which Catholics are not though.

Catholics are much less likely to open their wallets to fund a niche media service than any evangelicals are, as can be seen in the US where its pretty common yet there's minimal Catholic religious channels - EWTN being the exception.

Its very much evangelical, which Catholics are not though.

Catholics are much less likely to open their wallets to fund a niche media service than any evangelicals are, as can be seen in the US where its pretty common yet there's minimal Catholic religious channels - EWTN being the exception.

I seem to recall that at least one major funder/infrastructure provider is an Irish Catholic.

Expunge wrote: »
    Bit more than a subset in the Republic of Ireland, I would have thought.

That's more to do with your lack of understanding of what a subset is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 535 ✭✭✭Chloris

The worst part of my day driving is when I have to hurriedly flick by Spirit and Life FM without letting any freaky indoctrination seep out.

That's more to do with your lack of understanding of what a subset is.

Oh right, thanks for your correction. Subset: part of a larger set. Great!

It's more to do with the dominant profession of Christians in this country being Roman Catholic, with culturally very little in common with small (but growing) other Christian sects.
    Next largest Christian group would be Church of Ireland at around 2 per cent of the population.
    There's not much for either of those two groups on Spirit Radio, in my view.
    But if ya like happy,clappy Christian Rock from American South - it's just the thing!

But yes, you are correct. There do seem to be a number of Catholics funding or supporting Spirit Radio.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 103 ✭✭radioland

Who is really bank rolling that farce of a radio staion ? Why have the bai allowed them get away with so much

My recollection is that the funding of this station is transparent with donations from listeners and some resources put in by Christian faiths. I don't have an issue with. Id personally be far more concerned about the amount of Irish radio and newspapers owned by Denis O'Brien

If you don't like Spirit , switch it off

• Registered Users Posts: 12,962 ✭✭✭✭Losty Dublin

tessat wrote: »
    Get this, from the wiki page they are a registered charity and survives on donations and volunteers.
    http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spirit_Radio

When they started off, they had full time paid on and off air staff and a commitment to partake in the JNLR.

They stopped paying the majority of staff after 8 months of going on air after they took in next to no advertisement income. At a staff meeting to break the bad news it emerged that all their wages had been drawn from a cash bond put forward before they went on air.

They also mysteriously pulled out of a book 2 years ago within days of it's release and currently provide no credible researched listenership figures. It is a condition of their licence that they must provide same should they opt out of the JNLR.

On their regular donation pledges, it would be interesting to see how much of their income comes from same and crucially, a cash breakdown of same. As it stands we can't be sure what they say comes in actually comes in. Unlike many charitable bodies who solicit donations Spirit don't have any published accounts so its very hard to find out what income and outgoings they have.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,537 ✭✭✭joseph brand

"Spirit Radio is a Not For Profit organisation and has charitable status."

All their earnings (donations) are tax free? Sweet.
    Christians – Working Together

Spirit Radio is bringing Christians together from a wide range of backgrounds. At the heart of the Christian Gospel is the message that God has sent his son Jesus Christ to redeem us and bring us into a relationship with himself – this is the Good News that Spirit Radio seeks to communicate to people across Ireland.

It's a lot easier than knocking at doors, looking for suckers converts.

Personally I prefer some adult radio, so I'll be sticking with Newstalk.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,088 ✭✭✭SpaceTime

I hope they're being monitored for referendum balance compliance.

I'm not suggesting that they're not making a big effort to be balanced but it's just that religious groups and the No campaign seem to go hand in hand so I would imagine being a Christian radio station couldn't be an easy task for the next few weeks.

I think one might have to just avoid discussing the topic entirely!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19 Ferrier

I think they're doing a great job. More interested in making a difference than making a profit. Don't know any other Irish radio station you can say that about.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,962 ✭✭✭✭Losty Dublin

Ferrier wrote: »
    I think they're doing a great job. More interested in making a difference than making a profit. Don't know any other Irish radio station you can say that about.

They have that little in the way of ad revenue coming in that making a profit will never ever be something they will have to worry about ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,537 ✭✭✭joseph brand

Ferrier wrote: »

Never trust the 'holier-than-thou' types, would be my advice. Take it or leave it. It always transpires that they have ulterior motives, usually money. It's not rocket surgery. Just look at the big 'Donation' banners on their website along with tax exemption and the words 'filling their pockets' comes to mind.
    Spirit Radio plays the best contemporary Christian music

Personally, I find 'contemporary Christian music' lacking in originality and quality whilst also being a bit creepy. Maybe that's just me.

On the subject of religious radio, I discovered Taliban FM! Not much to it, just deafening silence.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,101 ✭✭✭Technocentral

As they say "The Devil has all the best radio stations"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,293 ✭✭✭Fuzzy Clam

549 AM silent carrier for the last couple of days and now off air completely.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,619 ✭✭✭Infoanon

Fuzzy Clam wrote: »

Nothing on their website,AM is costly to run but would Spirit really risk upsetting the BAI and switch off AM ? And would the BAI have the guts to pull the plug on Spirit for breaching its licence?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,305 ✭✭✭Antenna

Fuzzy Clam wrote: »

Just checked on caradio and its back on

comparing the two, the audio on 549kHz is lagging Spirit's Cork 90.9 FM by about 1 second.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,619 ✭✭✭Infoanon

Antenna wrote: »

comparing the two, the audio on 549kHz is lagging Spirit's Cork 90.9 FM by about 1 second.

Thanks,no need to have AM and FM in sync

Antenna wrote: »

Yes, came back late morning or early afternoon. Must have been a technical glitch :)
    Still seem to be on lower power than when they first came on though. My guess about 6 Kw now.

• Advertisement

Infoanon wrote: »
    Thanks,no need to have AM and FM in sync

No need but it's good practice.

I've heard RTE's 252 at various latency times over the years, compared with FM. Sometimes as much as 2 secs behind.

Advertisement