Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Boards.ie Quick and Dirty Renting Guide

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 helanlouise

Just want to say your post is astounding. The clarity in your post is simply spectacular and i can assume you are an expert on this field. Well with your permission allow me to grab your rss feed to keep up to date with incoming post. Thanks a million and please keep up the fabulous work.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 blueray

I'm trying to sort out my rent relief and medical card, and asked my landlord for my rent book like all the websites suggest but she told me rent books aren't used anymore and my standing order in the bank is proof enough? She said she could contact the letting agents and get me a letter proving i'm a tennant if it helps.
    Is this right? I just don't want to screw up these applications.
    Hi, i'm having the same problem but my landlord won't give me a letter.He's paid in cash .which is put through his letter box.Has'nt replied to my letters or txt .What can i do ? Please Help!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,869 ✭✭✭odds_on

blueray wrote: »
    Hi, i'm having the same problem but my landlord won't give me a letter.He's paid in cash .which is put through his letter box.Has'nt replied to my letters or txt .What can i do ? Please Help!
    Have you signed a lease, if yes, what type of lease?

Great information there, I have always wondered the right way to go about this, thanks for showing me!
    Some of them points are really straight forward but all too often you will over look them

Everything is very open and very clear explanation of issues. was truly information. Your post is very useful. Thanks for sharing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 720 ✭✭✭kierank01

Hi,

So my landlord changed bank account in April, and asked me to fill out another DD form.
    I said fine (joked a bit with him about nama, he said no, no nothing like that...)

It seems that my rent was taken twice in April. Got onto the LL, and he said ok, I'm paid up until June. I said fine...

It seems that my rent was taken again in May. I would have expected that He would have stopped taking the rent in May, so that it would have got back to normal.

I called the LL on Friday, left a vmail, but he has not got back to me yet.

Just wondering what my rights are here, what would be the correct resolution be here?
    If the LL just says that I am going to be paid 2 months in advance, then he has just taken a months rent, that I will never really see until I leave. ( I'm happy where I am, so that would be a 'long' time).

Should I go to Threshold or PRTB?

• Registered Users Posts: 746 ✭✭✭skregs

Involved in a bit of dispute with the landlord at the moment. Our property management company is sending us bills for 300e for the year. We forwarded them on to the landlord but he's insisting that it's our responsibility to pay for them as he doesn't live in the house.

There's nothing in the lease about it, and I can't find any info online about paying property management companies in rented accommodation.

Does anyone know what the situation here is? Do we owe the money or does the landlord owe it?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,278 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

skregs wrote: »
    Involved in a bit of dispute with the landlord at the moment. Our property management company is sending us bills for 300e for the year. We forwarded them on to the landlord but he's insisting that it's our responsibility to pay for them as he doesn't live in the house.

There's nothing in the lease about it, and I can't find any info online about paying property management companies in rented accommodation.

Does anyone know what the situation here is? Do we owe the money or does the landlord owe it?

The landlord owes it- and it is a tax deductable expense for him, when determining his tax due on the rental income.

I'm not familiar with tenants paying it- unless of course it is specifically mentioned in your lease, in which case, its part of the rent due. In your case, it isn't- and payment of it, is not your duty.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,059 ✭✭✭Screaminmidget

Any help here would be appreciated.

Had agreed to move into house this month (sept) back in june, paid deposit and everything was grand. In August I got offered a cheaper house, so told the landlord of first house that I was sorry but I was going with the new house, and could I have my deposit back. Was ringing/texting him for 2 weeks trying to get him to respond to me, then he turns around and says that the deposit is non-refundable. I never signed a contract or anything like that..

Am I entitled to my deposit back?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,278 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

A contract doesn't necessarily have to be in writing (though it should be). If the landlord took the house off the market and was holding it for you, for a September occupancy- you've had the property taken off the market at the peak of the renting season, and while I'd have issues with the deposit being purloined, I definitely do think that any period of vacancy alongside any costs associated with re-advertising the property, would be reasonable.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,500 ✭✭✭jaffa20

Just a quick question on notice i need to give my landlord. We have been nearly renting for 4 years and paid a 900eur deposit. We only got a fixed term contract for the first year and just have been paying the rent as normal since then. I thought we would only have to give 30 days notice but it looks like i have to give more by reading online...?

Can someone please clarify why i need to give more notice based on how long i have stayed here. I just assumed the original contract rolled over so we would only need to give the required notice as in the contract...?

Thanks in advance

• Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭Fotish

Has anybody got an item called " BOOKOUT INVENTORY " deducted from their deposit when it is being returned.
    Anyone know what it is ?

jaffa20 wrote: »
    Just a quick question on notice i need to give my landlord. We have been nearly renting for 4 years and paid a 900eur deposit. We only got a fixed term contract for the first year and just have been paying the rent as normal since then. I thought we would only have to give 30 days notice but it looks like i have to give more by reading online...?

Can someone please clarify why i need to give more notice based on how long i have stayed here. I just assumed the original contract rolled over so we would only need to give the required notice as in the contract...?

Thanks in advance
    At the end of your fixed term lease, as you did not sign any new lease, the lease became a Part 4 tenancy which allows you to stay in the property for up to 4 years without signing a new lease. However, unlike a Fixed term lease which ends on its expiry date and requires no notice of leaving (though it is polite to do so and so that a final inspection can be organised), a Part 4 tenancy requires notice to be given because a Part 4 runs until either the landlord or tenant decides to terminate it. The law states that the following notice periods apply when a tenant terminates the lease (and must be in writing to be valid) and depends of length of the period of occupancy:
    less than 6 months - 28 days;
    more than 6 months but less than 1 year - 35 days;
    more than 1 year but less than 2 years - 42 days;
    2 or more years - 56 days.

At the end of 4 years, a "Further Part 4" tenancy commences.

Notice periods may be agreed at the time, but cannot be written into any lease contracts - thus, after a number of years in occupancy, landlord and tenant can agree to a shorter notice period if it is convenient to both parties.

Fotish wrote: »
    Has anybody got an item called " BOOKOUT INVENTORY " deducted from their deposit when it is being returned.
    Anyone know what it is ?
    A bookout inventory is similar to an entry inventory but made at the end of a tenancy. The difference between the entry and bookout inventory could establish any wear and tear as well as any damages in excess of normal wear and tear.

It is not usual for this to be charged to a tenant but should be the landlord's cost unless there is a clause in the lease stating that it is the tenant's cost.

• Registered Users Posts: 850 ✭✭✭ordinary_girl

Victor wrote: »
    Essentially they want to know that you will pay your rent and won't trash the place. The don't absolutely need a landlord reference, but they do want reassurance - you need to convince them.

It would be most important to have a reference from the most recent landlord - they don't really want to know about 10 years ago.

What if you've never lived in a privately owned landlord house? Hoping to move into a house share in the UK in the next few months and some of the places require references and I'm not sure where I should get them from. Work? The council?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,741 ✭✭✭Piliger

I Hope this is the appropriate place for this Q.

I just started to date a lady from abroad who is renting in Finglas. She has a one year lease. However they did not register it with the PRTB. The Agency have been quite bullying of her, refusing to let her use her parking space and trying to get her to pay for toilet overflows that were not caused by her. The strange thing is on the lease the Landlord is listed as the Agency ... :rolleyes:

Do they HAVE to register with the PRTB ? if they don't what does that mean for her ? She is afraid that if she makes trouble they will now allow her to renew her lease in January.

Does no one visit here any more ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,075 ✭✭✭Rasmus

Piliger wrote: »
    I Hope this is the appropriate place for this Q.

I just started to date a lady from abroad who is renting in Finglas. She has a one year lease. However they did not register it with the PRTB. The Agency have been quite bullying of her, refusing to let her use her parking space and trying to get her to pay for toilet overflows that were not caused by her. The strange thing is on the lease the Landlord is listed as the Agency ... :rolleyes:

Do they HAVE to register with the PRTB ? if they don't what does that mean for her ? She is afraid that if she makes trouble they will now allow her to renew her lease in January.

Yes they have to register. She is not responsible for repairs. Landlord's contact should be on the lease, not the agent's. Sounds like she would be better off not renewing if these problems have been going on.

Rasmus wrote: »
    Yes they have to register. She is not responsible for repairs. Landlord's contact should be on the lease, not the agent's. Sounds like she would be better off not renewing if these problems have been going on.

Thanks Rasmus. Of course like many people on low income and in cheap accommodation, they are caught between being afraid to leave for fear of not finding another place, and being screwed where they are.

Is there are penalty or negative fallout for this landlord for NOT registering ?

Piliger wrote: »
    Thanks Rasmus. Of course like many people on low income and in cheap accommodation, they are caught between being afraid to leave for fear of not finding another place, and being screwed where they are.

Is there are penalty or negative fallout for this landlord for NOT registering ?

The landlord could get fined - however this is nothing to do with the tenant. The tenant can still file a claim against the landlord whether they are registered or not.
    Being in cheap accomodation or having a low income is no reason to accept bad treatment though. Check the threshold or PRTB sites for more details on tenants rights.

• Advertisement

Rasmus wrote: »
    The landlord could get fined - however this is nothing to do with the tenant. The tenant can still file a claim against the landlord whether they are registered or not.
    Being in cheap accomodation or having a low income is no reason to accept bad treatment though. Check the threshold or PRTB sites for more details on tenants rights.

Unfortunately her vulnerability is preventing her from standing up. I spoke to her at length this weekend. There is no other accommodation anywhere near her work at the price she pays ... and she is therefore afraid to act.
    Even good laws have limitations in how they can protect the vulnerable - I guess.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 N1cola

Hi, again like other people I dont know if I'm posting this in the right place but here it goes.

I started renting my own place at the start of September. I was in full time work and had no problem paying rent and also had savings build up as my work place closes for 3 months due to winter. However nearly all of my savings are gone due to personal reasons and I want to move into a smaller, more affordable place. I signed a lease for a year (keeping in mind that I'm only 3 months into it now) but I never received a copy of it from the landlady, even though I have asked her numerous times for it!

So I guess my question is, is the lease void because I don't have proof from the landlady that I'm actually living in my apartment?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,468 ✭✭✭✭OldNotWIse

I'm sorry if this counts as a "bump". Just a query to see what others think of this. I asked my landlord a number of weeks back for RSI number so that I could claim rent relief (also backdated). Took about 3 weeks, which I thought was strange and eventually she called me today and said that she couldnt give me that information (I think she said she wasn't in a position to give it to me) in other words, she's not declaring rental income. When I asked her how I could I could claim my rent relief (and the 300 that I an due from last year) she said "well you could move out if you want, I will give you back deposit as a gesture of good will". She also said that this was "one of the reasons the rent was so low" - sure the rent is what was agreed and there was no clause saying "take this cheap property but you wont be able to claim relief on it".

Any advice? I could report her and get what I am due, but she will likely hold the deposit. If I report her after, it would be too late.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 green fruit apple

I see that there are no answers for the previous questions, but here it goes: I have an idea what part 4 tenancy is and I would like to play this card in my current accommodation. It is no special place just I see no reason why I should have a the stress every year of whether the landlord re-news lease or not.

Q: did anybody ever experienced hostility after handing in the part 4 notification (this is how it is called, yes?). My situation is that the landlord is not leaving in the property and renting out through an agency.

thanks,

Apple

• Registered Users Posts: 4 green fruit apple

nobody visiting this thread anymore?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,810 ✭✭✭Dr.Winston O'Boogie

Hello all,

I am just wondering what the situation is when renting regarding house insurance? It prob differs from landlord to landlord, but if the house was burgled would my personal stuff not be covered? I presume our landlord has house insurance but that may not cover the contents? So therefore I would need to get contents insurance?

What would peoples experience be with this? If any..

niallo24 wrote: »
    Hello all,

I am just wondering what the situation is when renting regarding house insurance? It prob differs from landlord to landlord, but if the house was burgled would my personal stuff not be covered? I presume our landlord has house insurance but that may not cover the contents? So therefore I would need to get contents insurance?

What would peoples experience be with this? If any..

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056888779

• Registered Users Posts: 856 ✭✭✭MissMotivated

Hi
    I moved in with a friend April 25th we signed a 12 month lease, things have not worked out with her and I want to move out, I contacted the letting agent who said it's up to me to find someone to take over the lease from me and I am liable for the rent until I do if I move out. When I find someone I will get my deposit back. This is not stated anywhere in the lease, the only thing it says about breaking the lease is this:
    1. This letting is for a period of 12 months and in the event of the tenant breaking the Lease for whatever reason, it is understood that the Landlord may forfeit the security deposit paid to reimburse any expenses incurred.

I rang Threshold and they said she the letting agent is right because that section in the lease is not actually a breakout clause.

If this is the situation then fair enough I know I have no choice but to stay until I find someone but I would have thought that this would have to be documented somewhere in the lease to be made clear ?
    Has anyone been in this situation before?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,428 ✭✭✭quietsailor

Hi
    I moved in with a friend April 25th we signed a 12 month lease, things have not worked out with her and I want to move out, I contacted the letting agent who said it's up to me to find someone to take over the lease from me and I am liable for the rent until I do if I move out. When I find someone I will get my deposit back. This is not stated anywhere in the lease, the only thing it says about breaking the lease is this:
    1. This letting is for a period of 12 months and in the event of the tenant breaking the Lease for whatever reason, it is understood that the Landlord may forfeit the security deposit paid to reimburse any expenses incurred.

I rang Threshold and they said she the letting agent is right because that section in the lease is not actually a breakout clause.

If this is the situation then fair enough I know I have no choice but to stay until I find someone but I would have thought that this would have to be documented somewhere in the lease to be made clear ?
    Has anyone been in this situation before?

Lots of people have been in this situation before, search this forum using the terms "deposit" or deposit return" and you will get lots of previous threads about this issue. Even the tenants posting on here say that if you leave a fixed term lease early you will lose your deposit unless you can get someone to replace you, even then you are liable for any costs the LL incurs from your moving out and any loss in rental income the LL incurs.

Legally the landlord can pursue for the outstanding rent until the full 12 months rent is paid as you are on a fixed term contract. In practice it does't happen 99% of the time when a tenant moves out early but be aware that it can. If your landlord is fully compliant with the rules and regs they might decide to take a case against you with the PRTB as they have nothing to lose

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭Adrift

Quick question here, do rental properties get the listing price these days or is there any wiggle room?

Advertisement