Post Reply  
 
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
09-03-2021, 01:09   #301
Birdnuts
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 7,769
Quote:
Originally Posted by Banana Republic 1 View Post
All that power stayed in the power plant.
If pylon damage was the issue then again wind/solar is far more vulnerable as it requires a vastly larger network of such infrastructure to connect to the grid
Birdnuts is offline  
Thanks from:
Advertisement
09-03-2021, 09:03   #302
Danno
Moderator
 
Danno's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 6,494
Quote:
Originally Posted by Birdnuts View Post
If pylon damage was the issue then again wind/solar is far more vulnerable as it requires a vastly larger network of such infrastructure to connect to the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danno View Post
Alternatively you could tell us how Texas would have fared during it's recent winter storm had the state been a 100% renewable energy state. You even have the benefit of hindsight now to "show them up".
I brought up this very point earlier, but the answer was one of conspiracy:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thargor View Post


Alternatively you could just stop making up lies that even Fox News wouldn't touch.
Advocates of green energy don't like their pet projects scrutinised in any way.
Danno is offline  
(2) thanks from:
09-03-2021, 11:57   #303
Banana Republic 1
Registered User
 
Banana Republic 1's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2020
Posts: 1,394
Quote:
Originally Posted by Birdnuts View Post
If pylon damage was the issue then again wind/solar is far more vulnerable as it requires a vastly larger network of such infrastructure to connect to the grid
A it wasn't just a pylon issue in fact the power plants just shut down because corners had been cut for decades.
Banana Republic 1 is offline  
09-03-2021, 18:30   #304
Birdnuts
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 7,769
Quote:
Originally Posted by Banana Republic 1 View Post
A it wasn't just a pylon issue in fact the power plants just shut down because corners had been cut for decades.
Consult my earlier post with the link to this matter again - the likes of gas plants were the only ones supplying significant power during the peak of the cold spell
Birdnuts is offline  
10-03-2021, 01:22   #305
Banana Republic 1
Registered User
 
Banana Republic 1's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2020
Posts: 1,394
Quote:
Originally Posted by Birdnuts View Post
Consult my earlier post with the link to this matter again - the likes of gas plants were the only ones supplying significant power during the peak of the cold spell
Consult my links
"ERCOT has acknowledged that the blackouts have largely stemmed from failures to winterize natural gas, coal, and nuclear energy systems”
Banana Republic 1 is offline  
Thanks from:
Advertisement
10-03-2021, 02:33   #306
Thargor
Registered User
 
Thargor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 16,280
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danno View Post
I brought up this very point earlier, but the answer was one of conspiracy:



Advocates of green energy don't like their pet projects scrutinised in any way.
Sorry what? How often do you need it explained to you? It had nothing to do with green energy, you claimed 'eco loons' had caused deaths in order to reduce emissions, this is rambling nonsense and nothing whatsoever to do with the events in Texas. Keep lying about it all you want but it won't make it true.

Im going to submit a complaint in Feedback about the moderation on this 'Science' forum.

Last edited by Thargor; 10-03-2021 at 09:41.
Thargor is offline  
10-03-2021, 02:39   #307
Thargor
Registered User
 
Thargor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 16,280
Quote:
Originally Posted by Banana Republic 1 View Post
Consult my links
"ERCOT has acknowledged that the blackouts have largely stemmed from failures to winterize natural gas, coal, and nuclear energy systems”
Whats the point? Another liar will just jump in and take a turn next, they're not interested in any kind of truth or logic, this place is like reading the Trump reddit before it got shut down.
Thargor is offline  
Thanks from:
10-03-2021, 07:57   #308
Banana Republic 1
Registered User
 
Banana Republic 1's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2020
Posts: 1,394
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thargor View Post

Im going submitting a complaint in Feedback about the moderation on this 'Science' forum.
It’ll be swept under the rug at the highest level.

Last edited by Banana Republic 1; 10-03-2021 at 10:07.
Banana Republic 1 is offline  
10-03-2021, 08:37   #309
Birdnuts
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 7,769
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thargor View Post
Sorry what? How often do you need it explained to you? It had nothing to do with green energy, you claimed 'eco loons' had caused deaths in order to reduce emissions, this is rambling nonsense and nothing whatsoever to do with the events in Texas. Keep lying about it all you want but it won't make it true.

Im going submitting a complaint in Feedback about the moderation on this 'Science' forum.
Clearly the big lie is exposed in my link showing the failure of "Green energy" to produce any significant power during the cold spell. The fact that pylons in parts of the country connecting other power plants got damaged by freezing rain does not make such facts any less factual.
Birdnuts is offline  
Advertisement
10-03-2021, 09:51   #310
Thargor
Registered User
 
Thargor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 16,280
Quote:
Originally Posted by Birdnuts View Post
Clearly the big lie is exposed in my link showing the failure of "Green energy" to produce any significant power during the cold spell. The fact that pylons in parts of the country connecting other power plants got damaged by freezing rain does not make such facts any less factual.
ERCOT have given you the reason all power generation failed during the event, what do you think you've exposed exactly? Renewable power generation dips in Winter? Congratulations. Pity ERCOT also said that wind generation was ahead of their forecasts for the period and absolutely nothing to do with the disaster.

Why are you quoting my posts calling his claim that the EPA killed people in order to save on emissions a lie? Do you have a rebuttal to that besides irrelevant Politics.ie links? Do you agree with this claim?
Thargor is offline  
10-03-2021, 12:17   #311
Birdnuts
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 7,769
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thargor View Post
ERCOT have given you the reason all power generation failed during the event, what do you think you've exposed exactly? Renewable power generation dips in Winter? Congratulations. Pity ERCOT also said that wind generation was ahead of their forecasts for the period and absolutely nothing to do with the disaster.

Why are you quoting my posts calling his claim that the EPA killed people in order to save on emissions a lie? Do you have a rebuttal to that besides irrelevant Politics.ie links? Do you agree with this claim?
The link I posted clearly showed very little power generation coming from wind/solar - any power genertion there was was coming from conventional sources. The reason there was some disruption on the coventional grid was due to pylon damage from freezing rain. Solar/wind also performed poorly during the cold spells in the UK and Europe. You seem to have a problem with folk who point out these facts - throwing your toys out of the pram over it impresses nobody btw
Birdnuts is offline  
10-03-2021, 17:10   #312
Thargor
Registered User
 
Thargor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 16,280
Quote:
Originally Posted by Birdnuts View Post
The link I posted clearly showed very little power generation coming from wind/solar - any power genertion there was was coming from conventional sources. The reason there was some disruption on the coventional grid was due to pylon damage from freezing rain. Solar/wind also performed poorly during the cold spells in the UK and Europe. You seem to have a problem with folk who point out these facts - throwing your toys out of the pram over it impresses nobody btw
So? What is your point? Why are you quoting my posts calling out the repeated lies about the causes of this incident and replying to them as if I claimed renewable energy saved the day or something? Stop making stupid strawman arguments about things I never said.

Last edited by Thargor; 10-03-2021 at 17:15.
Thargor is offline  
10-03-2021, 19:23   #313
Nabber
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 2,611
Plenty of effort in here to associate scepticism of AGW influence as a cause to perceived increase in extreme weather events to political affiliation (Trump, Fox News doing the rounds)

Assuming that CNN and Biden are opposites of Fox and Trump, would it be possible to support CNN/Biden and also be skeptical of the FF carbon influence to the climate?


For those interested, studies on AGW impact on extreme weather. Mapped out for the Nerds too
https://www.carbonbrief.org/mapped-h...ound-the-world

A lot is hedged, but that would be expected with any study of it's nature. A lot of extrapolation of data from various sources with pre 1980s being some what of a guessing game.
In the MSM for the most part $ (dollar) damage is typically the display severity. Of the papers I read in the link above I didn't find any of that, which is good.
Nabber is offline  
10-03-2021, 20:16   #314
Gaoth Laidir
Registered User
 
Gaoth Laidir's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Posts: 6,744
Here's a summary of February's Arctic sea ice extent. Despite what some tried to imply during the Texas outbreak, the Arctic wasn't "almost ice-free", being only the 7th lowest in the satellite record. Stilll wondering if Akrasia had any joy finding out what the reason for the 1895 storm was that was different to the reason for this one.

Also note that 925-hPa temperature over Siberia was up to 8 degrees below average, as were northern Alaska and the Beaufort Sea.



Quote:
Arctic sea ice extent averaged for the month of February 2021 was 14.39 million square kilometers (5.56 million square miles), placing it seventh lowest in the satellite record for the month. This was 910,000 million square kilometers (351,000 square miles) below the 1981 to 2010 February average and 420,000 square kilometers (162,000 square miles) above the record low mark for February set in 2018. For the month of February, ice extent was near average in most regions of the Arctic except most notably in the Gulf of St. Lawrence, and to a lesser extent in the Bering Sea and the Sea of Okhotsk. The ice edge was also further north than average on the northern and western side of Svalbard.

Throughout the month, sea ice grew by an average of 9,900 square kilometers (3,800 square miles) per day, roughly half the average rate over the period 1981 to 2010 of 20,300 square kilometers (7,800 square miles per day).

Air temperatures at the 925 hPa level (about 2,500 feet above the surface) were from 1 to 6 degrees Celsius (2 to 11 degrees Fahrenheit) above average across much of the central Arctic Ocean, East Siberian Sea, Atlantic Sector, and Canadian Arctic Archipelago. By contrast, northern Alaska, Siberia, and the Beaufort Seas saw temperatures up to 8 degrees Celsius (14 degrees Fahrenheit) below average (Figure 2b).

The first part of the month was characterized by extremely high sea level pressure over the central Arctic Ocean, driving an exceptionally strong clockwise Beaufort Gyre sea ice circulation. This is consistent with the strongly negative phase of the Arctic Oscillation observed over this time period, which is sometimes associated with a wavy jet stream pattern and cold air outbreaks in lower latitudes, such as was experienced in Texas during the middle of the month. While this pattern broke down later in the month, the average sea level pressure pattern for February still featured a strong Beaufort High, with peak surface pressures exceeding 1,030 (Figure 2c). This atmospheric circulation pattern, driving a pronounced clockwise Beaufort Gyre circulation, led to the transport of thick multiyear ice along the Canadian Arctic Archipelago towards the Alaskan coastline.
Gaoth Laidir is offline  
10-03-2021, 20:34   #315
Pa ElGrande
Registered User
 
Pa ElGrande's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Posts: 2,214
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nabber View Post
. . .

For those interested, studies on AGW impact on extreme weather. Mapped out for the Nerds too
https://www.carbonbrief.org/mapped-h...ound-the-world
Following the link leads you to this.



Which leads you to Heatwave in northern Europe, summer 2018

Quote:
In Ireland, the Netherlands and Denmark there are clear trends towards more heat waves in the observations. In Ireland and Denmark climate models give a very similar increase in probabilities to the observations — roughly a factor two more likely in Dublin and a factor four in Denmark. In the Netherlands the observed increase in hot extremes is much larger than the modelled increase. This is a well-known problem (Min et al, 2013, Sippel et al, 2016) but the cause has not yet been elucidated.

source
That leads to Friederike Otto another product of the Potsdam climate scientist nursery now based in Oxford.


Quote:
Friederike E.L. Otto (PhD in philosophy, 2011)

» Philosophical aspects of climate modeling
» Co-advisor: H. Tetens, Free University, Berlin, Germany:
» Scholarship of Friedrich-Ebert Foundation
» For publications see website.
» Now deputy director of eci @ University of Oxford, UK.


source

You can read her book "Angry weather – In search of the culprits for heatwaves, floods and storms"with reviews by the usual cheerleaders.


Quote:
“Angry Weather introduces us to the forensic scientists of climate change; if you like to watch CSI, you’ll be equally enthralled with the skill and speed these folks exhibit. But the stakes are infinitely higher!”
Bill McKibben, author of Falter: Has the Human Game Begun to Play Itself Out?

<snip>

“This fascinating book takes us on a voyage across the cutting edge of climate science that irrevocably alters our perspective of the world in which we live and the future it holds. I wish I could make this book required reading for the world.”
Katharine Hayhoe, UN Champion of the Earth


The usual garbage in garbage out climate modelling interspersed with cherry picked data points to generate media headlines.
Pa ElGrande is offline  
Thanks from:
Post Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Remove Text Formatting
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text
 
Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search



Share Tweet