Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Space X

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,255 ✭✭✭Shlippery

15/20 mins to go after a minor blip with a stuck valve

Prop load ongoing

Crossing everythin!!

T-0 for 8.13pm or close..

Excitement

https://youtu.be/DDEgFsefrGw Space X liink

Abbott. 00.00.01

Was more of a static fire!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,264 ✭✭✭MayoForSam

"Sadly the @spacex launch was postponed due to a trespasser."

Roll on tomorrow.

Tomorrow? Nah. (check bottom corner of that tweet https://twitter.com/mbootsman/status/1367212373333925889/photo/1 ) - fake news :pac:

https://twitter.com/elonmusk/status/1367213114228318209?s=20

Back in 2 hours folks!

10 minutes til attempt #2 for.anyone watching the thread!

My god!!!! They've only gone and done it

• Registered Users Posts: 15,512 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

Woo hoo they done it ye. Well done Spaxe X. Mars is now one tiny step closer for Humans to go to.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Advertisement

AMKC wrote: »
    Woo hoo they done it ye. Well done Spaxe X. Mars is now one tiny step closer for Humans to go to.

Haha... Well it landed temporarily.

Hahaha it still had a little surprise. Oh boy

Bye sn10

• Registered Users Posts: 8,258 ✭✭✭MonkieSocks

Ah No :o

=(:-) Me? I know who I am. I'm a dude playing a dude disguised as another dude (-:)=

That was awesome.

It more or less nailed the landing, but the landing legs seemed to have failed.
    Had a bit of a lean and a fire...

then surprise explosion later!

Today had it all, delays, landings, explosions.

worth every minute!

Flight: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ODY6JWzS8WU

Grand finale: https://twitter.com/NASASpaceflight/status/1367256923075207172

• Registered Users Posts: 8,258 ✭✭✭MonkieSocks

Beautiful Photos' on Jack's Twitter page

https://twitter.com/thejackbeyer

Mary's Twitter page

https://twitter.com/BocaChicaGal

=(:-) Me? I know who I am. I'm a dude playing a dude disguised as another dude (-:)=

Yeah baby! That was a successful landing despite the RUD at the very end. The 3 raptors re-igniting just before the landing worked, a lot of SpaceX engineers will be very happy this evening.

The initial impact on landing looked a bit rough, that probably caused a fuel leak from the residual amount left in the tank and despite the fire truck's best efforts, it eventually blew. But it was all about the controlled descent and landing which they nailed.

On to SN11.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,458 ✭✭✭jogdish

Excellent stuff! SN11 gets to do it all over again

• Registered Users Posts: 13,623 ✭✭✭✭josip

I never realised how far south Boca Chica was.
    It's only 4km from the Mexican border. It's the last thing on the coast.
    It's even two and half degrees further south than Cape Canaveral.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,155 ✭✭✭Quantum Erasure

Im not sure if it has been the same for SN9 and 10, but for SN8 they had a 'self destruct zone' which included some Mexican territory

https://www.tesmanian.com/blogs/tesmanian-blog/self-destruct
    SpaceX provided a map to the Coast Guard called the “Self-destruct Zone,” located in the Gulf of Mexico along Boca Chica Beach (pictured below), “There is a good chance of failure on this test vehicle with debris falling into the ocean. We will need everyone to stay out of the self-destruct zone in case there is an incident,”
    SpaceX’s Boca Chica self-destruct zone is an area in the ocean around 90-square-miles large, includes a portion near the Mexican border, and runs 1.5 miles close to South Padre Island, Texas. If Starship SN8 fails, engineers will allow the spacecraft debris to fall into that area in the ocean to avoid destroying any nearby property at Boca Chica village.

untitleddesign_1_original-1_6fbb86bd-cca9-461b-b7f9-12b39a12ad0a_1000x.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 528 ✭✭✭Stan27

When is the next test flight?

Stan27 wrote: »
    When is the next test flight?
    No idea, but SN11 is stacked and road closures for monday suggest it could roll out onto the launch stand, and maybe the rest of that week to check it over and attached the new raptors to it, which I think are on site ready to go.
    Then give another week for a static fire and IF that goes well next thing is FAA approval and closures and flight. I would imagine, week of the 22nd the earliest, but week of April 5th maybe more likely.
    SN8 had extensive tests cause it was new, SN9 fell over and needed attention, SN10 had a bad static fire - there is always some delay.
    But they have show rapid turn around times so I suppose week of the 15th is possible too :) it's space X who knows.

jogdish wrote: »
    No idea, but SN11 is stacked and road closures for monday suggest it could roll out onto the launch stand, and maybe the rest of that week to check it over and attached the new raptors to it, which I think are on site ready to go.
    Then give another week for a static fire and IF that goes well next thing is FAA approval and closures and flight. I would imagine, week of the 22nd the earliest, but week of April 5th maybe more likely.
    SN8 had extensive tests cause it was new, SN9 fell over and needed attention, SN10 had a bad static fire - there is always some delay.
    But they have show rapid turn around times so I suppose week of the 15th is possible too :) it's space X who knows.

Have they identified/announced the cause of the SN10 failure yet?
    Is there any point in launching SN11 before then?
    Eg. if the legs need to be strengthened.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,005 ✭✭✭✭Ghost Train

Looking a some slow motion of the Sn10 landing it looks like it's on fire before it touches down. Makes me wonder, even with a softer landing, maybe it might still have had issues. Softer landing wouldn't hurt though

• Registered Users Posts: 2,338 ✭✭✭Bit cynical

Looking a some slow motion of the Sn10 landing it looks like it's on fire before it touches down. Makes me wonder, even with a softer landing, maybe it might still have had issues. Softer landing wouldn't hurt though
    Seemed to be a slight bounce as it hit the ground.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,649 ✭✭✭greedygoblin

Seemed to be a slight bounce as it hit the ground.
    I think it was Scott Manley covered it in one of his youtube videos that only 3 of the 6 legs locked just before landing. It could be seen in some of the slomo footage.

I think it's the LabPadre video that scott was using that showed the landing legs basically flopping around, appearently they need a sudden decelleration kick to help lock them into place on the final approach - the thinking was the three engines might have upset this. In any case those legs are not final and they were never planned to be, I would imagine the main and pretty much only concern is raptors and safe landings i.e no fires.

• Advertisement

SN11 rolling out to the pad, will be livestreamed on NSF etc, things to look out for, are any raptors already installed ? and Keep and eye on road closures for this week after today as they might tell you about static fires.

I think it's the LabPadre video that scott was using that showed the landing legs basically flopping around, appearently they need a sudden decelleration kick to help lock them into place on the final approach - the thinking was the three engines might have upset this. In any case those legs are not final and they were never planned to be, I would imagine the main and pretty much only concern is raptors and safe landings i.e no fires.

Coulda been this one - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gIZOcsu8tWk
    My fav of the SN10 footage. Slow mo landing and explosion at fantastic angle!

Hopefully SN11 does something crazy before end of the month.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,371 ✭✭✭Westernyelp

Shlippery wrote:
    My fav of the SN10 footage. Slow mo landing and explosion at fantastic angle!

That is a great Video. Thanks.
    SN11 will have the same legs. So will be interesting to see if they can land it. Could be flying end of next week I'd say.

Wow, thats the super amazing footage Tim is always on about, looks amazing. I still don't understand how any of these you tube streamers make this into a business model.

Looking at the recent video posted, it doesn't look like it managed to get truly vertical before landing and all the weight was on the leg(s) on the left.

I doubt if the legs are designed to bear the full weight, so they buckled.

MuEBwe7.png

SN11 is on the pad! With all three raptors, cryo -> static -> hop

• Registered Users Posts: 1,925 ✭✭✭Paleface

josip wrote: »
    Looking at the recent video posted, it doesn't look like it managed to get truly vertical before landing and all the weight was on the leg(s) on the left.

I doubt if the legs are designed to bear the full weight, so they buckled.

MuEBwe7.png

Musk said on twitter that SN10 came down with more force than was intended due to an engine thrust issue. It crushed the legs as a result and (luckily) ended upright resting on its bottom.

https://twitter.com/elonmusk/status/1369379914139451406?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw%7Ctwcamp%5Etweetembed%7Ctwterm%5E1369379914139451406%7Ctwgr%5E%7Ctwcon%5Es1_c10&ref_url=https%3A%2F%2Fpublish.twitter.com%2F%3Fquery%3Dhttps3A2F2Ftwitter.com2Felonmusk2Fstatus2F1369379914139451406widget%3DTweet

Those legs are HUGE! first time I have seen a human next to them for scale.

As a mechanical engineer with a Ph.D. in composites manufacturing, it's quite ironic to see such big lumps of metal at the bottom of a spacecraft, so much for weight optimization :).

Then again, cracks and leaks can easily be repaired on Starship by beckoning over your handy neighborhood welder guy and lobbing on a few extra spot welds where needed. Not so simple with carbon fibre reinforced polymers!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 30,005 ✭✭✭✭Ghost Train

MayoForSam wrote: »
    As a mechanical engineer with a Ph.D. in composites manufacturing, it's quite ironic to see such big lumps of metal at the bottom of a spacecraft, so much for weight optimization :).

Then again, cracks and leaks can easily be repaired on Starship by beckoning over your handy neighborhood welder guy and lobbing on a few extra spot welds where needed. Not so simple with carbon fibre reinforced polymers!

A little bit off topic for spacex but some good detail on the machining that goes into United launch alliance rockets

Advertisement