Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

General MMA Chat/News mk3 - **No Spoilers Use Event Threads**

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 39,002 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Ah my bad somehow I'm getting details from the first fight and second one mixed up

Easy mix up to be fair. As they fought twice. And BJ was a former champ (WW) during their first fight. GSP wasn’t.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,145 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

First fight was a lot closer if I remember correctly? Split decision?

The thing that sticks out in my mind was GSP's face being bashed up to bits and Penn complaining afterwards that he looked like he'd taken less damage so should have taken the decision.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,506 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

Mellor wrote: »
    When BJ moved up as champ. GSP was also champ. BJ lost.

Hard to remember correctly without using goggle

• Registered Users Posts: 17,927 ✭✭✭✭rob316

There is a good few divisions locked up now where the champion is leagues better than the challengers.

You the LW division where the champion is blue in the face from saying he's retired but Dana won't strip him in the hope he comes back. And to be honest, he's cleaned that division so even retired he's still undisputed.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,927 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Izzy is the first champion to go up as champion & fight for a title and lose

BJ Penn was champion when he went up to fight GSP but GSP was not the champion

Fair dues, dare to be great as he said. It's a big jump in weight, 20 pounds. And if you look at the others they probably all jumped up to there natural weight classes or only 10 pounds up, Izzy went up against a visibly much bigger man. Izzy didn't weigh close to the limit the other night.

• Advertisement

rob316 wrote: »
    Fair dues, dare to be great as he said. It's a big jump in weight, 20 pounds. And if you look at the others they probably all jumped up to there natural weight classes or only 10 pounds up, Izzy went up against a visibly much bigger man. Izzy didn't weigh close to the limit the other night.

I don't like Izzy but I do like his attitude that you have to dare to be great and that MMA should not be like boxing where a lose is seen as the worst thing in the world,

Event spoilers lads
    While I appreciate what Izzy was doing, I can't ignore that there was a nonchalance about it.

When you look at Jon Jones preparing for HW, he's lifting, he's getting bulkier, he's putting those picograms to work.

With Izzy, it seems like he just thought "Yeah, I reckon I can beat the LHW champ the way I am. Let's do it"

That's grand and all, but he fell short. And one of the main reasons he fell short was because Jan was much bigger and stronger than him.

He underestimated the challenge and it cost him!

MrStuffins wrote: »
    Event spoilers lads
    While I appreciate what Izzy was doing, I can't ignore that there was a nonchalance about it.

When you look at Jon Jones preparing for HW, he's lifting, he's getting bulkier, he's putting those picograms to work.

With Izzy, it seems like he just thought "Yeah, I reckon I can beat the LHW champ the way I am. Let's do it"

That's grand and all, but he fell short. And one of the main reasons he fell short was because Jan was much bigger and stronger than him.

He underestimated the challenge and it cost him!

That's a bit unfair,

HW limit is 265 LWH is 205
    LWH 205 MW 185

Can you see why Jon is taking the approach he is ?

Jon also vacated his LWH title as he not planning on coming back down , Izzy tried to jump up and also keep the middle weight strap ,

• Registered Users Posts: 12,420 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

That's a bit unfair,

LWH 205 MW 185

Lesnar had to cut weight to get to 265lbs before.

That's a bit unfair,

LWH 205 MW 185

Can you see why Jon is taking the approach he is ?

Jon cuts to get to 205. He walks around at about 225 - 230 lbs. Most Heavyweights fight between 230lbs - 240lbs. It's rare that guys at the top end of HW hold the strap. Not for a while anyway. Look at the last weigh in results for the last few former champs

Stipe: 233lbs
    DC: 236lbs
    Werdum: 236 lbs
    Cain: 241 lbs

It's been a long time since the Carwins, Lesnars and Sylvias of the sport.

He might be slightly smaller than them, so he's taking the challenge seriously and he's preparing accordingly.
    Izzy tried to take the LHW belt without doing this and paid the price. He thought that the qualities that he uses to dominate at MW would automatically mean he would do the same at LHW and he could bounce between the two.

He was wrong!

• Advertisement

Jon cuts to get to 205. He walks around at about 225 - 230 lbs. Most Heavyweights fight between 230lbs - 240lbs. It's rare that guys at the top end of HW hold the strap. Not for a while anyway. Look at the last weigh in results for the last few former champs

It's been a long time since the Carwins, Lesnars and Sylvias of the sport.

He might be slightly smaller than them, so he's taking the challenge seriously and he's preparing accordingly.
    Izzy tried to take the LHW belt without doing this and paid the price. He thought that the qualities that he uses to dominate at MW would automatically mean he would do the same at LHW and he could bounce between the two.

He was wrong!

Yo mention Jones walk around weight as 225-230 but its a big difference fighting guys at 240 & above than guys at 205,

The heavy weights you mentioned that is there fight weights so they also walk around heavier,

Stipe for instance was 246 v Francis but shed weight to fight DC

There is a bigger difference between LHW and HW than any other weight class ,

Yo mention Jones walk around weight as 225-230 but its a big difference fighting guys at 240 & above than guys at 205,

The heavy weights you mentioned that is there fight weights so they also walk around heavier,

Stipe for instance was 246 v Francis but shed weight to fight DC

There is a bigger difference between LHW and HW than any other weight class ,

But your point was that there's a 20lb gap between MW - LHW, but a 60 lb gap between LHW - HW.

It's not that simple.

Either way
    it was evident that Izzy wasn't big or strong enough to deal with Jan's physicality on Saturday night. Jan was bigger and used that to his advantage. Izzy might be able to bulk up and become LHW king, but what he certainly cannot do is be the best LHW in the world while staying at MW, like he intended.

But your point was that there's a 20lb gap between MW - LHW, but a 60 lb gap between LHW - HW.

It's not that simple.

Either way
    it was evident that Izzy wasn't big or strong enough to deal with Jan's physicality on Saturday night. Jan was bigger and used that to his advantage. Izzy might be able to bulk up and become LHW king, but what he certainly cannot do is be the best LHW in the world while staying at MW, like he intended.

Jons used to fighting guys A 205 after a huge weight cut ,
    its completely different story to fight fresh lads at 240 and beyond ,

I still think Izzy has a shot at beating any LHW not names Jon Jones on any given night ,

Jan deserved to win but I don't think Izzy preformed any where near his best and I'm not even a fan of his ,

• Registered Users Posts: 39,002 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Heavyweights don't typically walk around heavier. They walk around at fight weight.
    Jons used to fighting guys A 205 after a huge weight cut ,
    its completely different story to fight fresh lads at 240 and beyond ,
    There nothing fresh about most HWs. They are half gassed walking out to the cage.

Jones's opponents aren't 205 on fight night. They've be about 225lbs on average.
    Heavyweights are typically around 245lbs. That's a 20lbs difference, roughly the same as from MW to HW. For most of the roster anyway.

20 is a huge ask. Jones is doing it right. Izzy tried to fight up without adding weight. LHW is not womens 145.
    Stipe cut to 233lbs for DC. For their original fight he was 245-ish, same no Francis.
    Francis is 260+

Jones is preparing for Miocic at 245 or a 260lb Francis.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,408 ✭✭✭EagererBeaver

Izzy isn't even the biggest MW in the world to begin with either.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,992 ✭✭✭✭Rjd2

Very happy with that fight.

We find out if Ferguson is washed up or not, and also good to see Dariush get a money fight, I don't think he is elite, but would be happy to be proved wrong as he is so much fun to watch.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,992 ✭✭✭✭Rjd2

Mixed feelings on this, no issue with the 2 ladies fights and I missed a live crowd but a shame that it is the main event.

https://twitter.com/MMAjunkie/status/1371625834214170624

• Registered Users Posts: 29,472 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Let's go Rose!!!! Yupp, both women fights much more interesting than the main.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭smilerf

Masvidal did not deserve a rematch Colby did but I guess he is a bigger draw

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,472 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

• Registered Users Posts: 23,808 ✭✭✭✭mailburner

Guess it was always likely to happen after such good ppv figures last time but I wish it didn't.

I'd be interested in seeing the ppv numbers for the rematch though after a lop sided first fight, bet they are less although I don't remember seeing two womens title fights on the one card as good as these two.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,408 ✭✭✭EagererBeaver

Florida too so obviously hoping for huge local support and interest for Masvidal. Absolutely no interest in that fight at all.

Andrade getting a shot having beaten Chookagian after losing to Namajunas and Zhang shows how can't the options are for matching someone with Shevchenko. Think it'll be a bit of a squash tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,301 ✭✭✭xtal191

Zero interest in Masvidal against Usman, the fact Masvidal is getting a rematch has me convinced now McGregors next fight will be for the title

Also Costa is out of the Whitaker fight

• Registered Users Posts: 4,341 ✭✭✭Homelander

Some good fights there, not wild about Masvidal v Usman again but I would be lying if I said I wasn't interested either, now that Masvidal has a full camp and there can be no excuses...even though the outcome will be inevitably the same.

Rose v Zhang, Smith v Crute, Andrade v Shevchenko, Hall v Weidman....some of the other fights look good too but generally it's shaping up to be a very decent card.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,485 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Three title fights are easy to call, Usman, Shevchenko and Zhang all win easily enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,301 ✭✭✭xtal191

Zhang is def favourite but I think Rose has a chance, the other two should be pretty one sided alright

• Registered Users Posts: 6,471 ✭✭✭Brussels Sprout

Florida is completely open (masks optional) and is currently rammed in many locations for Spring Break - I can't imagine it will be in good shape in a month's time but perhaps Jacksonville will be ok since that wouldn't be a Spring Break location.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,651 ✭✭✭US2

Florida is completely open (masks optional) and is currently rammed in many locations for Spring Break - I can't imagine it will be in good shape in a month's time but perhaps Jacksonville will be ok since that wouldn't be a Spring Break location.

This isn't a covid thread fcuk off

• Advertisement

US2 wrote: »
    This isn't a covid thread fcuk off

He's talking about the fact that this event is going to have a full attendance, the first UFC card with full attendance in a long time.

That's the plan anyway. A month is a long time when it comes to the Covid situation.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement