Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Resumption of events in NI in April - I hope

• 05-03-2021 12:18am
    Registered Users Posts: 309 ✭✭

The Pathway document the NI Executive released this week gives me hope that we may have some races in NI in April.

The document has 5 stages, we are in stage 1 currently and then stage 2 allows for the resumption of outdoor competitive sport with no spectators.

They are due to review the current lockdown on March 16th and its meant to end on April 1st.

If the numbers keep coming down as they are at present and vaccinations keep rising then stage 2 would start after April 1st.

Of course they could say no and extend stage 1 for a while yet.

I am putting in place tentative plans to have 2 days of events at the Down Royal horse racecourse for April/May as follows.

Day 1 - early as possible in April/May - half marathon and 5k using a flat, fast 5.6k road lap.

Day 2 - 3 or 4 weeks later - full marathon and 10k on same route.

Entries that were submitted for the event due to take place at the Maze Long Kesh site back in October 2020 are transferred to these two days. Entry bibs were posted out and says Semple McKillop at the top as the sponsors.

The route has been accurately measured so it conforms to the Olympic qualifying standard and thus any times are valid for Olympic selection as well as Good For Age qualification to London Marathon etc.

I will update the thread after March 16th once the review has been made public.

I am aware of the travel restrictions in place in ROI and how that might impact on entrants coming North.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 784 ✭✭✭daydorunrun

Are there any good dentists near Down Royal race course?.....asking for a friend.

“You tried your best and you failed miserably. The lesson is, never try.” Homer.

• Registered Users Posts: 309 ✭✭ChampionChip

Are there any good dentists near Down Royal race course?.....asking for a friend.

Im afraid that one has flown right over my head.

Us Nordies have a good sense of humour (we claim) but are equally easily offended (centuries of evidence for that) so Im not sure if I should laugh or take the hump.

• Registered Users Posts: 433 ✭✭PCX

Im afraid that one has flown right over my head.

Us Nordies have a good sense of humour (we claim) but are equally easily offended (centuries of evidence for that) so Im not sure if I should laugh or take the hump.

I don't think you need to take the hump.

Under current restrictions going to a race would not be a good enough reason to travel out of your local area so if stopped at a checkpoint by the gardai you'd be turned back and get a fine. A dentist appointment however is a valid reason for travelling so you'd be let on your way.

It's the excuse loads of people were using for travelling to the Canaries before they cracked down on it. They were booking appointments just to get the confirmation email from the clinic and then going on holiday but not turning up for the dental appointment.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,648 ✭✭✭rovers_runner

Once I'm vaccinated I'll be up, f*ck the Gardai and the RUC.
    Time to start living again.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭Ray Donovan

PCX wrote: »

Under current restrictions going to a race would not be a good enough reason to travel out of your local area so if stopped at a checkpoint by the gardai you'd be turned back and get a fine. A dentist appointment however is a valid reason for travelling so you'd be let on your way.

It's the excuse loads of people were using for travelling to the Canaries before they cracked down on it. They were booking appointments just to get the confirmation email from the clinic and then going on holiday but not turning up for the dental appointment.

Check the citizens Information website. The dental appointments haven’t been clamped down on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 433 ✭✭PCX

Check the citizens Information website. The dental appointments haven’t been clamped down on.

I'm pretty sure it was a joke anyway!

I was not aware of the Dentist ruse that some rascals were employing to bypass the restrictions.

I plan to consult with Athletics Ireland to see what the rules are re elite athletes, be they elite in terms of their Olympic aspirations or as Masters athletes looking to get a GFA time.

If I am permitted to do so, I will provide a letter etc stating the event is being recognised as an elite event.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,694 ✭✭✭Chivito550

PCX wrote: »

You can also leave your 5km to visit a grave. It doesn't specify that you have to have known the person. It simply says "To visit a grave".

So just go run the race, and maybe stop by a cemetery on the way home, then if asked by the guards for the purpose of your trip, you don't even have to lie. :) Win win.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,694 ✭✭✭Chivito550

I was not aware of the Dentist ruse that some rascals were employing to bypass the restrictions.

I plan to consult with Athletics Ireland to see what the rules are re elite athletes, be they elite in terms of their Olympic aspirations or as Masters athletes looking to get a GFA time.

If I am permitted to do so, I will provide a letter etc stating the event is being recognised as an elite event.

Not in a million years will AAI give permission for Masters athletes to traipse up North to compete when they aren't even allowed access a track to train down here!

Those chasing Olympic standards is as far as they'll stretch that, judging by the recent Micro meet.

To be honest, it wouldn't be very fair to allow masters athletes special privileges over non-elite senior athletes.

The easier thing would be to leave AAI out of it, and just run your event and let people make their own decisions on whether they wish to travel up or not.

Best of luck with it. Good to see progress up in Northern Ireland.

Chivito550 wrote: »
    Not in a million years will AAI give permission for Masters athletes to traipse up North to compete when they aren't even allowed access a track to train down here!

Those chasing Olympic standards is as far as they'll stretch that, judging by the recent Micro meet.

To be honest, it wouldn't be very fair to allow masters athletes special privileges over non-elite senior athletes.

The easier thing would be to leave AAI out of it, and just run your event and let people make their own decisions on whether they wish to travel up or not.

Best of luck with it. Good to see progress up in Northern Ireland.

Thanks for your input, I'll certainly take it on board.

• Advertisement

Chivito550 wrote: »
    You can also leave your 5km to visit a grave. It doesn't specify that you have to have known the person. It simply says "To visit a grave".

So just go run the race, and maybe stop by a cemetery on the way home, then if asked by the guards for the purpose of your trip, you don't even have to lie. :) Win win.

Those of you who travelled to the race site in the past will have passed by the large municipal cemetery on the road about 2 miles from the site.

Encouraging noises coming from First Minister re the re start of outdoor sport and also good to see some statements about the relaxation of the travel limit for exercise from M Martin.

Keep the faith.

Advertisement