Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Offers

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,614 Mod ✭✭✭✭pinkypinky

50% off an annual subscription from Irish News Archive for Black Friday. Well worth taking advantage.
    https://twitter.com/IrishNewspapers/status/1329741630555951110

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭Diaell

€55 + shipping for ancestry DNA test kit. Ends Monday 30th Nov
    https://www.ancestry.co.uk/cs/ireland-dna

• Registered Users Posts: 551 ✭✭✭A New earth

Yes bought 2 and with standard shipping the total cost was €126 so not too bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 275 ✭✭mindhorn

Also have one year membership at half price for DNA customers (£90 for the worldwide sub).

• Registered Users Posts: 652 ✭✭✭Mick Tator

mindhorn wrote: »
    Also have one year membership at half price for DNA customers (£90 for the worldwide sub).
    That's not showing anywhere for me.....do you have a link please?

• Advertisement

Don't have a link but this is the page I'm seeing after placing an order for a kit:

CybUd0l.png

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,102 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Rootsireland offering 25% off an annual sub at the moment. Unlike Ancestry, they let existing subscribers avail of the offer to extend their sub.

mindhorn wrote: »
    Don't have a link but this is the page I'm seeing after placing an order for a kit:

Thanks mindhorn. I'm not seeing that when I open up - I'm a 'registered user' and I think as a frequent exploiter of Ancestry's freebies/special offers they have identified my IP or email and I'm blocked.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,521 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

I also didn't get the offer, possibly for the same reasons! I've done the odd month and used lots of free access offers.

Gave in on the test despite data privacy concerns. Fairly sure anyone dodgy has probably already got my details and if some future database access turns up a relative as a murderer that's their own fault!

Strange. I've paid for the odd month also but this is the first time I've paid for a full year. Payment went through (same email and same payment details as before). I purchased two kits but that would hardly make a difference.

Okay, time to hide my credit card.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,521 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

I got *an* offer when I activated the sample tube; but not as good as that one above - £44.99 / £49.99 for UK/Worldwide for 6 months only.

• Registered Users Posts: 565 ✭✭✭montgo

I got 50% offer from Ancestry.com for 6 months... last chance!

All Access
    Get access to everything on Ancestry®, Fold3®, and Newspapers.com™ Basic.
    6-month membership
    $99*
    $199
    SAVE 50%

World Explorer
    Discover your international family with access to more than 27 billion global records from 80 countries.
    6-month membership
    $74*
    $149
    SAVE 50%

• Registered Users Posts: 1,760 ✭✭✭BowWow

This time last year I got 12 months on ancestry.co.uk for 59.99 sterling.
    Best offer at moment for me is 69.99 sterling, but for only 6 months!
    (Don't understand why they still cant accept payment in Euro :mad:)
    I'll wait and monitor it....
    Might be time to give FMP a turn...

BowWow wrote: »
    Might be time to give FMP a turn...
    Don't be tempted by MyHeritage - I'm dealing with them at the moment and will write a review of their product & service when it's sorted.:(

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,614 Mod ✭✭✭✭pinkypinky

Mick Tator wrote: »
    Don't be tempted by MyHeritage - I'm dealing with them at the moment and will write a review of their product & service when it's sorted.:(

I have a sub for them but won't be renewing. Useful for DNA only.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 11,299 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hermy

BowWow wrote: »
    Best offer at moment for me is 69.99 sterling, but for only 6 months!
    montgo wrote: »
    I got 50% offer from Ancestry.com for 6 months... last chance!

I wonder why they're only giving six months - are there changes on the way?

Genealogy Forum Mod

Hermy wrote: »
    I wonder why they're only giving six months - are there changes on the way?

If I go into "My Account" instead of "Subscribe" I get an offer of 1 year for 119.99 Sterling.

I've decided to take a Months Pro membership with FMP - gives access to their Global records and British Newspapers. I'll update my Ancestry Tree with whatever I find, hints etc. Will go back to Ancestry in the future.

(ps - I also back up everything on a 2017 copy of Family Tree Maker).

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2058152446

Thanks to "torrevieja" on the Bargain Alerts thread.

Not an offer as such but newspapers.com is free this weekend.

https://go.newspapers.com/freeaccess

• Registered Users Posts: 399 ✭✭VirginiaB

Wow, thanks for that. I hope this offer works in the US. I pay a fortune for Ancestry World plus Fold3--which I only use for city directories, invaluable--and for newspapers.com--all the same company--but I refuse to pay another cent for the 'publishers extra'. They keep dangling hints on Ancestry that I can't open unless I pay even more. They would steal the pennies off the eyes of your dead grandmother.

• Advertisement

FMP logins - free, but rate limited it seems - for Dublin City Libraries members until such time as Pearse Street reopens

https://www.dublincity.ie/library/blog/free-access-find-my-past-home

• Registered Users Posts: 891 ✭✭✭Jellybaby_1

L1011 wrote: »
    FMP logins - free, but rate limited it seems - for Dublin City Libraries members until such time as Pearse Street reopens

SDCC are doing the same offer. Contact your local SDCC library by email with your name and membership offer.

L1011 wrote: »

Didn't take long to hit my fair usage limit! I need to be a little bit more selective in what I look at but it's too tempting not to have a look at each potential relevant record.

• Registered Users Posts: 399 ✭✭VirginiaB

Ancestry is offering its DNA test--at least in the US--for $59 from now thru St Patrick's Day. Maybe they have promotions elsewhere as well. A good price for this.

25% off IFHF/rootsireland.ie annuals. Not sure there's any value there these days, but some people still do.

• Registered Users Posts: 591 ✭✭✭Garlinge

Being lazy here but what does MyHeritage offer that we cant already get for free?

• Registered Users Posts: 752 ✭✭✭p15574

Garlinge wrote: »
    Being lazy here but what does MyHeritage offer that we cant already get for free?

I'm planning to look up stuff like births/marriages/deaths after 1920/1945/1960.

• Registered Users Posts: 591 ✭✭✭Garlinge

Sorry yes I see a lot of extra stuff there now like Slater's Directories.... will have a look. I have access to site as handling a DNA kit for a relative. I am not sure if that means he has access to wider data. And I think the year is up around now so I suppose an annual sub is required even for the DNA matches?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 752 ✭✭✭p15574

Garlinge wrote: »
    And I think the year is up around now so I suppose an annual sub is required even for the DNA matches?

Not really. You still get notified of matches and can list them. If you want to drill down a lot into matches then perhaps - for example, to see the full list of common matches - but I can generally find a way to access matches' trees without a sub (if they're public)

Advertisement