Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2021 Bride/Groom

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,409 Mod ✭✭✭✭woodchuck

woodchuck wrote: »
    Our original date from last year is available with our venue, so it would be nice if that could be our "new" date, but we'd need to get very lucky with all of our suppliers.

We've gotten pretty lucky... the only person we haven't heard back from yet is the florist, but all our other suppliers are available on the "new" date (i.e. our original date from last year). So we've locked that in now. Hopefully the florist will be available too, but sure we'll sort something out if not.

Plenty more loose ends to organise, but feel better for having made the decision anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,195 ✭✭✭✭Michellenman

Amazing news! Thrilled for you woodchuck :)

• Registered Users Posts: 952 ✭✭✭Officer999

Hi guys, following this thread with interest. In the same boat as most others, we have a June wedding. We’re going to have the ceremony and a reception after even if it is just the 6 guests.

We had originally a photographer and videographer booked. While we’ll definitely be keeping the photographer, is it really worth having a videographer on the day with such small numbers? If it is 25 allowed, we definitely will but for 6 I’m not so sure?

If you can only have 6 guests, could you hire the videographer for the ceremony only? I imagine they're more amenable to shorter bookings atm, with fewer weddings going ahead. It could be worth asking the question and seeing how much it would cost. The ceremony is probably the main part you'll want to look back on!

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭AppleD

Officer999 wrote: »
    Hi guys, following this thread with interest. In the same boat as most others, we have a June wedding. We’re going to have the ceremony and a reception after even if it is just the 6 guests.

We had originally a photographer and videographer booked. While we’ll definitely be keeping the photographer, is it really worth having a videographer on the day with such small numbers? If it is 25 allowed, we definitely will but for 6 I’m not so sure?

This comes down to personal choice really. I wouldn’t have a videographer if it’s just 6 but you might prefer to have one. Our videographer is expensive enough and I just couldn’t justify it for 6 people. Not much to video apart from the ceremony- like with 6 people make up and hair ppl are not allowed so there wouldn’t be much footage of the morning. Not a lot to film after the ceremony either. A photographer would be enough I’d say.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 601 ✭✭✭zedhead

Anyone here tried the loius copeland virtual appointment for suits? My partner really wants a new suit for the wedding but obviously all shops are closed. I see Louis Copeland are doing virtual appointments but I wonder how that would work with fitting etc?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,680 ✭✭✭confusticated

We did, tbh it was fairly pointless, they showed us some suits and fabrics but it was very hard to see colours and textures on camera. The guys running it were nice but it was clearly frustrating them too to be trying to explain things or holding things up close to the camera to get it into focus. I think they are doing in-store appointments for extreme circumstances (presume just funerals and weddings) so worth contacting them if you're stuck for time.

We did, tbh it was fairly pointless, they showed us some suits and fabrics but it was very hard to see colours and textures on camera. The guys running it were nice but it was clearly frustrating them too to be trying to explain things or holding things up close to the camera to get it into focus. I think they are doing in-store appointments for extreme circumstances (presume just funerals and weddings) so worth contacting them if you're stuck for time.

Not quite stuck for time. We have until the first week of May so will see how things go towards the end of March and then make a call.

• Registered Users Posts: 721 ✭✭✭French Toast

zedhead wrote: »
    Anyone here tried the loius copeland virtual appointment for suits? My partner really wants a new suit for the wedding but obviously all shops are closed. I see Louis Copeland are doing virtual appointments but I wonder how that would work with fitting etc?

Phone a few of the shops you were considering buying/hiring from. Some may facilitate trying on a few suits as they're open but behind closed doors for those unfortunately needing funeral suits.

• Registered Users Posts: 598 ✭✭✭Tij da feen

I'm looking at getting my suit from a crowd in Scotland. I asked them for some fabrics swatches of what I'm interested in and they're sending them my way. Might be worth asking any prospective place if they'll facilitate that so you can see the fabric in person.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,474 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Just had to cancel our original postponed wedding for a number of reasons out of our control (not.covid).

Out a fair whack of money, and unsure if insurance is going cover any of it.

If anyone is looking for a venue in west Wicklow on oct 16th it's now free.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,313 ✭✭✭Ankhyu

Attending an online wedding fair now. Bit disappointed we don't get to go to one in person, but still a bit excited nonetheless :)

• I'm sure this has come up before but I'll ask again, when registering intent to marry must you have your passport? My passport application is stuck because of Covid.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,195 ✭✭✭✭Michellenman

I think drivers license or public services card is sufficient too? I would drop them a mail, the Dublin office are very quick to reply anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,313 ✭✭✭Ankhyu

I'm sure this has come up before but I'll ask again, when registering intent to marry must you have your passport? My passport application is stuck because of Covid.

We got our green folder recently, I was able to use my driving licence but also gave a copy of my out of date passport and it was grand

• Registered Users Posts: 501 ✭✭✭cazzer22

Does anyone think 25 is still possible for the 5th of April announcement?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,257 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

cazzer22 wrote: »

I'm thinking that they will announce that 25 people will be allowed from ~May 19th onwards if Covid-19 case numbers go down and vaccination numbers go up etc... just my opinion obviously.

No i don't think so. We're holding out on our final decision for the 5th of April announcement but I would say it will be some hybrid of the levels. We may be allowed leave our 5k and meet a few people out doors but nothing else will be lifted until mid may.

We've venue provisionally booked for the 6 people wedding and the plan is to go ahead and then have an evening reception in our original venue later in the year. We are now half considering scrapping the evening reception - losing our deposit but saving on the rest of the costs and just use the money for a big honeymoon when we can travel. In two minds as I do want to celebrate with everyone but it may feel so disconnected from the wedding in 9 months time or whatever

I'm sorry, but realistically, no. Every story in the media indicates that they're considering a very small easing of restrictions only for 5th April. They've mentioned things like construction, outdoor activities and the 5km limit. Honestly, it feels like even those are in jeopardy with the cases numbers levelling off lately. I'd bet good money that there won't be any announcement about weddings on 5th April.

Sorry :(

woodchuck wrote: »
    I'm sorry, but realistically, no. Every story in the media indicates that they're considering a very small easing of restrictions only for 5th April. They've mentioned things like construction, outdoor activities and the 5km limit. Honestly, it feels like even those are in jeopardy with the cases numbers levelling off lately. I'd bet good money that there won't be any announcement about weddings on 5th April.

Sorry :(

I think you're probably right, but I have this weird feeling it will go up to 25 and I can't explain it or shake it. Realistically it will probably stay at 6.
    They are so unpredictable and it seems so unfair given that other weddings until the 2nd of January when numbers were so high were allowed to have 25. They are just making it up at this stage.

• Advertisement

I'm thinking that they will announce that 25 people will be allowed from ~May 19th onwards if Covid-19 case numbers go down and vaccination numbers go up etc... just my opinion obviously.

Good point. Here's hoping, but think that it's probably going to be May for sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,680 ✭✭✭confusticated

I don't know what to hope for at this stage. We're May 22nd with a backup of July. Will go ahead with 25, not with 6, but if they only announce the increase in May we'll be fairly under pressure with sorting outfits and the like. Although at this stage I don't care if everyone is in jeans once they're there!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,510 ✭✭✭nikpmup

After a lot of thought we've decided to cancel our wedding. We were originally booked for this April, then we pushed it back to August but even though there'll probably be some lifting of restrictions by then, we aren't at all confident that things will be back to normal, especially with the vaccine rollout so painfully slow. Like everyone I suppose we wanted all of our friends and family there to celebrate and don't want to spend all that time & money on a restricted day. Also, we actually got married in September in the registry office, and the further off the wedding was getting pushed the less keen we were. So, we called the hotel yesterday and cancelled. We'll spend the money on the trip of a lifetime when we can travel. If anyone is after a smallish Dublin City venue on August 13th pm me and I'll let you know who they are! They have been outstanding to deal with, both when postponing the original date and now - they've let us use our deposit to book their penthouse for next February for my husband's 50th, so we're not out a penny. We've also got a great recommendation for our photographer (a friend of ours who's work is amazing) and our band.

• Registered Users Posts: 958 ✭✭✭fire_man

Anyone getting married in November & December 2021?What are ye hoping for in numbers?

• Registered Users Posts: 33 ShortAPennt

Can i ask for anybody going ahead for April/May/June/July/Aug. Did you mention anything about covid on your invites?

I'm not entirely sure what the etiquite is. Do we not mention it all.... or do we add a note saying that we are aware of current circumstance and all guidelines will be followed for your safety.....

Would really appreciate anybody's thoughts on this as I don't have a clue what to do...

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 172 ✭✭Garrigai

fire_man wrote: »
    Anyone getting married in November & December 2021?What are ye hoping for in numbers?

Hoping for 100+ but will go ahead with 25. (really hoping for no restrictions)

Can i ask for anybody going ahead for April/May/June/July/Aug. Did you mention anything about covid on your invites?

I'm not entirely sure what the etiquite is. Do we not mention it all.... or do we add a note saying that we are aware of current circumstance and all guidelines will be followed for your safety.....

I'm September, but I don't think I'll be mentioning Covid on the actual invitations. I'll be including a link to our wedding website though, which includes information about Covid (e.g. precautions that the venue are taking, where/when masks are required etc).

If you're not doing a wedding website though, you could also include an extra sheet with the invites that includes information about this? Similar to the way some people slip in a note about directions or accommodation.

• Registered Users Posts: 539 ✭✭✭Teach30

Would really appreciate anybody's thoughts on this as I don't have a clue what to do...

Thanks

Yikes I’m end of June haven’t done anything about sorting invites yet. Wouldn’t mention covid on them though!

Could anyone advise on when to go about getting invitations? I’d someone asked to make them but they haven’t got in contact with me so I assume they will when necessary?

Also I don’t know how many to order so at €10 a pop don’t feel like wasting money on ordering too many.

Teach30 wrote: »
    Could anyone advise on when to go about getting invitations? I’d someone asked to make them but they haven’t got in contact with me so I assume they will when necessary?

Also I don’t know how many to order so at €10 a pop don’t feel like wasting money on ordering too many.

Given how common postponements have become, I wouldn't assume that she'll get in touch with you. I'd get in touch with her to let her know that you're still planning on going ahead in June and to get clarity around the timeframes involved for doing your invites.

10euro is very expensive. I'd check if there is a minimum number required for her to do them. Closer to the time, maybe you could just get the minimum number printed (whether that's 6 or 25) and send those to your nearest and dearest. If the numbers for wedding guests increases even closer to the date, but it's too late to get more of those invites printed, then you could just get some additional invites made up quicker and cheaper online (e.g. optimal print or vista print).

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 7,438 Mod ✭✭✭✭XxMCRxBabyxX

Teach30 wrote: »
    Yikes I’m end of June haven’t done anything about sorting invites yet. Wouldn’t mention covid on them though!

Out of curiosity, what are you getting for €10 each? Seems quite high for invites!

Advertisement