Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Moving to Tralee

• 12-06-2014 7:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 39

Hi Kerry Boards,

I'll be moving to Tralee for work in the next couple of weeks. At the moment I'm looking for accommodation on daft. Would ye have any recommendations on areas to look at. I'll be working in the town centre and I would prefer a nice house over an apartment but really not that fussed.

Cheers MickyBoy

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,867 ✭✭✭kn

There aren't any no go areas in Town these days really with the Cresent demolished. Maybe give us an idea of what your looking at and people could then advise you. Is it a one bed or a flat/house share your looking for?

• Registered Users Posts: 39 mickyboy

Hi kn,

I will be looking along the N86 axis and that side of the town centre as I'll be travelling to Cork a little bit and the job is based on that side of the town. From a map of Tralee I was hoping to find something between Manor West and the Marina.

I'd prefer a house/apartment share with a maximum of two other people. However if something pops up that I really like I wouldn't have a problem taking out a 12 month lease by myself.

mickyboy wrote: »
    Hi kn,

I will be looking along the N86 axis and that side of the town centre as I'll be travelling to Cork a little bit and the job is based on that side of the town. From a map of Tralee I was hoping to find something between Manor West and the Marina.

I'd prefer a house/apartment share with a maximum of two other people. However if something pops up that I really like I wouldn't have a problem taking out a 12 month lease by myself.

Should be lots of stuff going in the Manor West/Ashleigh Downs/Killerisk area if you are looking for a place on the Cork road side of the Town. Is it the hospital or Manor West retail park that you are taking up the job in? I ask because you will have lots of people renting in that area because its just a short walk to the hospital/Manor West retail park. You should also consider Marian Park which is on the Town side of the hospital.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 9,300 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ciarrai76

kn wrote: »
    Should be lots of stuff going in the Manor West/Ashleigh Downs/Killerisk area if you are looking for a place on the Cork road side of the Town. Is it the hospital or Manor West retail park that you are taking up the job in? I ask because you will have lots of people renting in that area because its just a short walk to the hospital/Manor West retail park. You should also consider Marian Park which is on the Town side of the hospital.

Also try the Oakpark area, lots of nice places there (mainly houses) and I'd say there's a lot to rent at the moment with students away etc. Oakpark is about a 15-20 min walk into the town centre, depending on where in Oakpark you are living though, it could be a much shorter walk obviously! There are some convenience shops in that area too. Its also got the new bypass at the top of Oakpark, which is handy for Killarney/Cork etc. Daft is your best bet for house shares, but try the estate agents in town too for private rentals. Most of the agents are in the town centre, around Denny street, but you'll find them online and linked to the likes of Daft.

Hi folks. Sorry but I've been busy the last few days trying to get my affairs in order.

Kn I won't be working in the hospital or Manor West. I'll be based more towards the town centre on Prince's St. My real preference would be a house in a nice estate with a nice garden. Just wondering about the Crescent, is it just that estate or would areas close to it also be a problem.

Hi Ciarrai76. Thanks for the info. I heard there's loads of students up around oakpark which would put me off because of work. I just graduated recently myself so not dissing students but I might be tempted too much to join in the fun ;) I heard oakview is meant to be a nice spot. Looking at daft there seems to be a good selection of properties. Hopefully I'll pick wisely

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,009 ✭✭✭umop.episdn

mickyboy wrote: »
    Hi folks. Sorry but I've been busy the last few days trying to get my affairs in order.

Kn I won't be working in the hospital or Manor West. I'll be based more towards the town centre on Prince's St. My real preference would be a house in a nice estate with a nice garden. Just wondering about the Crescent, is it just that estate or would areas close to it also be a problem.

Hi Ciarrai76. Thanks for the info. I heard there's loads of students up around oakpark which would put me off because of work. I just graduated recently myself so not dissing students but I might be tempted too much to join in the fun ;) I heard oakview is meant to be a nice spot. Looking at daft there seems to be a good selection of properties. Hopefully I'll pick wisely
    The crescent is no longer an issue at all. Probably the most modern & energy efficient houses in Tralee at the moment.
    Students tend to stay in dedicated accommodation like An Sean Mhuileann & Kings Court, so that's where all the partying would be, you should be safe in Oakpark, it's placid enough :)

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 9,300 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ciarrai76

The crescent is no longer an issue at all. Probably the most modern & energy efficient houses in Tralee at the moment.
    Students tend to stay in dedicated accommodation like An Sean Mhuileann & Kings Court, so that's where all the partying would be, you should be safe in Oakpark, it's placid enough :)

Oakpark is near where the ITT is, but its not really full of students, and as the OP said, its mainly in the dedicated accommodation they stay. There are some renting in my estate, but they tend to be students who are in their final years and more interested in studying than partying!

Funnily enough I stayed in An Sean Mhuilleain for the Rose of Tralee in 2011. Also went partying in our friends place in Kings Court. We were nearly as bad as any students :)

So from what I gather Tralee has cleaned up its image a bit. Good to hear.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 collie500

I am in a similar position MickyBoy, glad I came across this thread. I am moving to Tralee in a couple of weeks also.

I was looking at The Marina at an apartment, does anyone have any opinions on this place? It would be a stones throw from where I will be working so thats good. Is it near a supermarket? I am told by the auctioneer it is about a 10 minute walk to town. I wont be down until the Saturday before I start work so apologies if I sound like a dont have a clue of the place, I dont!

Thanks
    Colm

• Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭shergar22

collie500 wrote: »
    I am in a similar position MickyBoy, glad I came across this thread. I am moving to Tralee in a couple of weeks also.

I was looking at The Marina at an apartment, does anyone have any opinions on this place? It would be a stones throw from where I will be working so thats good. Is it near a supermarket? I am told by the auctioneer it is about a 10 minute walk to town. I wont be down until the Saturday before I start work so apologies if I sound like a dont have a clue of the place, I dont!

Thanks
    Colm

Garvey's SuperValu would be your nearest supermarket, or there's a smaller Tesco near the old cinema car park. You don't have a lot of small shops etc around that area. 10 mins is about right.

• Advertisement

collie500 wrote: »

Thanks
    Colm

Haven't heard anything bad about the Marina. As pointed out above you have SuperValu and the small Tesco not too far away you also have the Aqua Dome in close proximity if membership interests you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 45 Arsenal11

Hi lads,

Will be moving to tralee at the end of the year..

I looking to buy an apartment..

Looking for recommendations on places that are nice / not so nice...

Ideally I will be buying a one bedroom apartment, but open to buy a two bedroom..

Ivy Terrace look fine to me ?

All recommendations and help greatly appreciated

Arsenal11 wrote: »
    Hi lads,

Will be moving to tralee at the end of the year..

I looking to buy an apartment..

Looking for recommendations on places that are nice / not so nice...

Ideally I will be buying a one bedroom apartment, but open to buy a two bedroom..

Ivy Terrace look fine to me ?

All recommendations and help greatly appreciated

Please stop posting in multiple threads and don't resurrect an old thread. Closing this now. MOD

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement