Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Cycling with a fractured toe

Options
  • 19-03-2019 3:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 12,583 ✭✭✭✭

Any one ever try cycling with a fractured toe? Fourth toe - one beside little toe.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,815 ✭✭✭fat bloke

I fractured my big toe while cycling.

Definitely didn't cycle while it was healing anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 315 ✭✭rodneyTrotter.

Depends how bad it is but I ran the marathon a few years ago and came out with a metatarsal stress fracture . Didn’t finish because of it ! Was agony . Had to wear a boot and crutch’s and couldn’t walk without it .
    Was on a bike in Gran Canaria 3 days later cycling . Set the release on spd sl pedals to lowest setting . Spent the week cycling a Caad 10 around pubs and restaurants instead of walking . Ended up doing a decent 4 days on the bike up mountains .

Oh and broke another one on the other foot 6 months later and cycled instead of running .
    I couldn’t walk but I could cycle !

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,708 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

Cycling could well be fine but you'd want to watch putting all your weight on one foot dismounting. Maybe try it out on the turbo first rather than the road and also ask your doctor.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,254 ✭✭✭Chiparus

Seeking medical advice on an online discussion forum is foolish, the toe is made of 4 bones , metatrasal, proximal , middle and distal phalanges , the great toe has less phalanges but often has a couple of sesamoid bones.
    Managment of fractures of these bones is very different and very site dependent e.g. a Dancers fracture is 2 cm from a Jones fracture on the same metatarsal - but the management and outcomes are completely different.

Ask your orthopaedic surgeon.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,303 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

Chiparus wrote: »
    Seeking medical advice on an online discussion forum is foolish, the toe is made of 4 bones , metatrasal, proximal , middle and distal phalanges , the great toe has less phalanges but often has a couple of sesamoid bones.
    Managment of fractures of these bones is very different and very site dependent e.g. a Dancers fracture is 2 cm from a Jones fracture on the same metatarsal - but the management and outcomes are completely different.

Ask your orthopaedic surgeon.
    i think we can leave the thread with this advice, boards guidance is if you need assistance on a medical issue, ask your doctor!

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement