Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Toyota Avensis 2006

• 18-03-2019 8:47pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 111 ✭✭

My son bought his first car a few weeks back, nice little Avensis. He bought it on done deal, everything is perfect with it but the ‘multi information display’ (MID) seems to be frozen.

It displays the range of fuel that’s remaining on one half & the average speed of the journey so far on the other half but it won’t switch functions or turn off.

Any ideas why? He said he’d settle for just being able to turn it off permanently now as that’s all that bothers him.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 73,381 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

If you hold the middle button it will turn off.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 111 ✭✭Deadmou5e

colm_mcm wrote: »
    If you hold the middle button it will turn off.

The ENT button next to the round button? Manuel says that too but it’s not working, no buttons at all on the Multi Display are working, tried them all. Would it be a fuse maybe? Thought it could be a battery but as I say the screen is working perfect.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,174 ✭✭✭orm0nd

Deadmou5e wrote: »
    The ENT button next to the round button? Manuel says that too but it’s not working, no buttons at all on the Multi Display are working, tried them all. Would it be a fuse maybe? Thought it could be a battery but as I say the screen is working perfect.

press in and hold in the round button

More likely one button is stuck which is preventing the others from working. Does the bottom on the right of the steering wheel do anything

orm0nd wrote: »
    press in and hold in the round button

Tried it, no good. Not just with the round button but with all of them, there isn’t one of them working.

• Advertisement

More likely one button is stuck which is preventing the others from working. Does the bottom on the right of the steering wheel do anything

I don’t know that now, I’ll check in the morning with him. He said all buttons on the wheel were working to me earlier. Can you switch it off from the steering wheel too?

No, but the button on the right of the wheel scrolls through the displays.

Easiest thing is to swap one from another car or just disconnect it.

No, but the button on the right of the wheel scrolls through the displays.

Easiest thing is to swap one from another car or just disconnect it.

Thanks for the reply

How would I disconnect it if I wanted to?

From memory, I think you pop the cup holder out, yank that, then the strip under the heater vents pulls off, allowing you to take the heater vents and trip computer off.

Think that’s how it goes, it’s been a while.

From memory, I think you pop the cup holder out, yank that, then the strip under the heater vents pulls off, allowing you to take the heater vents and trip computer off.

Think that’s how it goes, it’s been a while.

Hi, yeah I can change the right half only on the steering wheel but can’t switch over to the left side on it, I think maybe the post about a button being stuck could be the reason, the ‘ENT’ button is rock hard it doesn’t feel like it’s lose enough to push in at all but I can’t see how or where it’s stuck or what’s causing it just from looking at it at all.

• Advertisement

Yeah I’d imagine the stuck button is causing this. You might be able to disassemble but tbh I’d get a replacement.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,861 ✭✭✭fancy pigeon

Easier to just get a replacement unit, it's removed as Colm says above

• Registered Users Posts: 8,724 ✭✭✭CoBo55

Or disconnect it, I drove one for a while and I hated it, definitely the biggest liar I ever saw in a car!!

The amount of people who thought that was satnav back on the day!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭tcawley29

The amount of people who thought that was satnav back on the day!

Didn't it have a compass in it? :pac:

tcawley29 wrote: »
    Didn't it have a compass in it? :pac:

Jaysus no.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭tcawley29

Jaysus no.

Mixing it up with something else so. A long time since I've been in one

Advertisement