Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

is it wise to turn the frideg of for 2 weeks before you go on holidays?

• 14-03-2019 11:47am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,288 ✭✭✭

i am going on holidays for 2 weeks..does anybody turn the fridge of before they go on holidays?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,291 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

Some do, some don't. It all depends on whether you can empty it first. If you do switch it off, be sure to leave the door open or you will have a big stink when you get home.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,623 ✭✭✭b318isp

Nope, no reason to do so - it's unlikely to fail and a power cut won't last long enough to affect it.

That said, we generally run it down - it's a good time to ensure that all the stuff at the back of drawers are cleared out!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,031 ✭✭✭Cerco

I was advised against turning fridge/freezer off as, I was told, it can result in leaks in the refrigerant piping.
    This came from a person who sells and repairs fridges.
    Perhaps it would be okay for short periods but might depend also on the age of the appliance. Personally I would leave it on.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Turn it to the lowest setting and empty it.

As above refrigerant gas can be lost.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,325 ✭✭✭Bandana boy

potential savings are under a fiver why would you bother ?

• Advertisement
Advertisement