Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Recommendations re External Home Camera System

• 28-02-2019 3:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 23

Am having some issues with door/window knocking and front door egged, so thinking a camera might be a good idea. Any recommendations on an inexpensive, easy to use system? Lydl have cameras from time to time costing c.e80-90 - are they worth it, does any know. I'm totally untechnical so answers in plain English would be v much appreciated!

Comments

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,437 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

If you are just looking for one camera for relatively cheap price, then the Yi Outdoor Camera might be worth a look:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/YI-Wireless-Weatherproof-Surveillance-Detection-H30/dp/B0776V3CG5/ref=sr_1_6?s=photo&ie=UTF8&qid=1551376891&sr=1-6&keywords=yi+home+camera

Currently £70, but it is regularly reduced by about £15 or so if you aren't in a rush.

I'd also recommend buying an SD card for it, that will allow you to continuously record.

They also include free online recordings in the cloud of 6 second long videos when motion is detected and they have paid options for longer recordings.

• Registered Users Posts: 523 ✭✭✭dealhunter1985

bk wrote: »
    If you are just looking for one camera for relatively cheap price, then the Yi Outdoor Camera might be worth a look:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/YI-Wireless-Weatherproof-Surveillance-Detection-H30/dp/B0776V3CG5/ref=sr_1_6?s=photo&ie=UTF8&qid=1551376891&sr=1-6&keywords=yi+home+camera

Currently £70, but it is regularly reduced by about £15 or so if you aren't in a rush.

I'd also recommend buying an SD card for it, that will allow you to continuously record.

They also include free online recordings in the cloud of 6 second long videos when motion is detected and they have paid options for longer recordings.

Looking for a camera like this myself.. I was reading in another thread about a Yi camera (I think it was this one?) and apparently people aren't receiving the notifications when it detects movement.. that's something I would need in a camera and held me back from buying it..

• Registered Users Posts: 622 ✭✭✭Idioteque

If possible, I'd recommend trying to deal with the source of the problem first. If it's young kids, try speaking to their parents etc.

If they are brazen enough to knock and throw eggs, they'll probably just see the cameras as something else to throw things at.

Also, there's legalities around taking video footage of people without their permission and improper signage about the CCTV.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,437 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

Looking for a camera like this myself.. I was reading in another thread about a Yi camera (I think it was this one?) and apparently people aren't receiving the notifications when it detects movement.. that's something I would need in a camera and held me back from buying it..

Notifications seem to be working again today. Seems to have been a temporary issue.

BTW The issue only seemed to effect Android phones, I've been getting notifications on iPhone with no issues.

Thread about this camera here:
    https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057892414&page=7

Of course this is not the only option, there is a massive range of other IP cameras and of course more traditional CCTV cameras.

I've got this camera myself, plus Logitech Circle 2 cams (even better, but more expensive). Of course pros and cons between all the options.

• Registered Users Posts: 23 Maire Bhig

Thank you all for the above, which is very helpful. I'm sure it's only kids messing, but it is disconcerting and I want to discourage it. I don't have children myself, and don't know the local kids - I'm near a green, which attracts children to play from around the estate, not just this road. For info, a friend brought a CCTV camera to my attention today on offer via Pigsback for e35; a bit extra for video option and delivery, but all told less than e45. I will probably try this in the first instance. The fact that there is a camera there may be a sufficient deterrent. And I will put up signage.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7 FrankTupelo

Idioteque wrote: »
    Also, there's legalities around taking video footage of people without their permission and improper signage about the CCTV.

I am interested about the legal aspects mentioned here.
    Does it mean that I am not allowed to protect with a camera the external perimeter of my house?

• Registered Users Posts: 523 ✭✭✭dealhunter1985

Does it mean that I am not allowed to protect with a camera the external perimeter of my house?

People are recording footage of others on their mobile phones all the time without their permission. Surely there's no legal implication for having a camera on your property??? Would love to know the answer to this question too.

Me, three!! As far as I am concerned, if people are recorded while they are trespassing on my property, that is their choice. However, I would still intend to post signs on the front door and in the window.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,635 ✭✭✭✭altor

Here you go.

Very interesting and informative, altor, thank you. I believe my intended usage fall under the provision for personal or household activity as provided for ... I hope that just having the camera will be enough deterrent.

"One thing which should be kept in mind, particularly by individuals who use or intend to use video recording equipment in either a commercial context or in a public place, is whether or not the recording falls under the ‘personal’ or ‘household exemption’ from the GDPR (under Article 2(2)(c) and Recital 18 GDPR). This exemption states that the GDPR does not apply to processing of data (such as recording video) by an individual “in the course of a purely personal or household activity”.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭alta stare

Data protection is a minefield. Dont let it put you off getting cameras though. If you have the need for them then there is nothing stopping you ie you can justify them. The amount and location of cameras is also taken into account ie proportionality. Then there is storage of footage ie rentention which is recommended at 30 days.

If we all went and took that data protection act as gospel there wouldnt be a camera left in the country. The reality is that data protection only comes in to play if there is a complaint or request. It can also get sticky if the rentention and processing of information is not followed correctly. If a incident was recorded and ended up in court an informed solicitor could get the case dismissed if the information was not handled and processed in the correct manner. This is why data protection is a minefield.

If you can justify them then off you go. A good well informed installer will tell you the ins and outs. They will set the system up as required. A self install is also fine as long as you know the laws and standards around the use of cctv.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,890 ✭✭✭granturismo

altor wrote: »
    Here you go.

Restrict the camera field of view to your own property and surely the ‘personal’ or ‘household exemption’ from the GDPR (under Article 2(2)(c) and Recital 18 GDPR) applies.

From the link quoted;
    To the extent that video surveillance… covers, even partially, a public space and is accordingly directed outwards from the private setting of the person processing the data in that manner, it cannot be regarded as an activity which is a purely ‘personal or household’ activity ...

Restrict the camera field of view to your own property and surely the ‘personal’ or ‘household exemption’ from the GDPR (under Article 2(2)(c) and Recital 18 GDPR) applies.

From the link quoted;
    To the extent that video surveillance… covers, even partially, a public space and is accordingly directed outwards from the private setting of the person processing the data in that manner, it cannot be regarded as an activity which is a purely ‘personal or household’ activity ...

If the camera system has whats called a mask then that is sufficient to get around a camera taking in someone else's property. If however the camera is directly facing the property and it is found that it does not need to be in such a position then there is an issue there straight away and the property owner can take action.

Any person who thinks a camera is looking on to their property has a right to request a viewing of what the camera is actually looking at. As long as the request is reasonable then the owner of the camera system must let them see their system. I think they have 40 days to process such a request. I am open to correction on that.

Guys, you are all full of very useful information and thank you very much for sharing. I ordered the Pigsback camera yesterday so will proceed accordingly, with caution! I do think just it being there might be deterrent enough.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

I had cameras on my old house. Often had AGS calling me to see if they could view events on the road :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7 FrankTupelo

Thanks all for the clarification and information shared!

• Registered Users Posts: 622 ✭✭✭Idioteque

I think the important thing as evidanced by the reponses..for the average Joe soap coming here looking to bang a few cameras up...there are considerations that are not always talked about.

How I found out was I found this guys Irish blog on some considerations around home CCTV.

I think it's a grey area (albeit from my limited searching) and it's probably fine from a general checking in on things but I do think you could run into difficulties if ever trying to use the footage in a legal dispute.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,937 ✭✭✭SmartinMartin

Good little system in aldi at the moment for 210, 1tb storage included :

https://www.aldi.ie/1080p-4-hd-camera-home-cctv-kit/p/011860271175400

Idioteque wrote: »
    I think the important thing as evidanced by the reponses..for the average Joe soap coming here looking to bang a few cameras up...there are considerations that are not always talked about.

How I found out was I found this guys Irish blog on some considerations around home CCTV.

I think it's a grey area (albeit from my limited searching) and it's probably fine from a general checking in on things but I do think you could run into difficulties if ever trying to use the footage in a legal dispute.

Yep. If an incident ends up in court and it is on cctv there isna chance it could be challenged if it wasnt processed in the correct manner. A solicitor in the know would be all over it. Still wouldnt put me off getting cctv though.

• Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭Drifter50

Deal with the local situation first yourself. Technology os not going to solve that, you live there, its your home

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,257 ✭✭✭Homer

Anybody know if it's easy to adjust the angle of an ANPR camera without affecting performance of number plate recognition? I know they take a bit of time to setup and tweak and we have one mounted on an external shed that faces onto the road whichI would like to raise slightly but worried it might affect the performance?
    Can go back to the suppliers (PSA approved) but just thought I would throw it out here first!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,806 ✭✭✭i71jskz5xu42pb

Good little system in aldi at the moment for 210, 1tb storage included :

https://www.aldi.ie/1080p-4-hd-camera-home-cctv-kit/p/011860271175400

Saw this in Aldi today, definitely thinking about it.
    Anybody have any experience with this or previous Aldi CCTV products?

Homer wrote: »
    Anybody know if it's easy to adjust the angle of an ANPR camera without affecting performance of number plate recognition? I know they take a bit of time to setup and tweak and we have one mounted on an external shed that faces onto the road whichI would like to raise slightly but worried it might affect the performance?
    Can go back to the suppliers (PSA approved) but just thought I would throw it out here first!

It shouldnt affect it. What kind of camera is it? Is it a varifocal motorised lens? If so raise it and then refocus it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

Saw this in Aldi today, definitely thinking about it.
    Anybody have any experience with this or previous Aldi CCTV products?

Doubt it's POE.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 158 ✭✭joombo

It depends on your budget. I asked for help professionals from our local security company and they advised me surveillance cameras Calgary. CCTV Camera Systems are one of the best on the market today. I have been using them for a few months already and don't have any regrets.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,806 ✭✭✭i71jskz5xu42pb

Doubt it's POE.

You're talking about to the cameras themselves? Based on the description/pic it has power/video cables that run from the unit to the camera - "18m Video/power cables"

https://cdn.aldi-digital.ie//1080P-4-HD-Camera-Home-CCTV-Kit-B.jpg?o=wADiX%40Q00pVvLU4vlQRGbd4%247TQj&V=ybEG&w=1500&p=2&q=50

You're talking about to the cameras themselves? Based on the description/pic it has power/video cables that run from the unit to the camera - "18m Video/power cables"

https://cdn.aldi-digital.ie//1080P-4-HD-Camera-Home-CCTV-Kit-B.jpg?o=wADiX%40Q00pVvLU4vlQRGbd4%247TQj&V=ybEG&w=1500&p=2&q=50

POE - Power Over Ethernet, it means both the power and video data go over a single cable, an ethernet cable.

It looks like this system doesn't support POE.

Advertisement